Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'Introductions/Farewells' started by TswordZ, Jul 24, 2016.

1. TswordZ

TswordZ Warper Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Hi hi!   Just arriving here :-D

I knew about RPG Maker softwares for a long time, but it was when I saw the second Humble Bundle about game making (I miss the first) that I decided to buy it (A too good offer to reject it XD)

Although initially I started really motivated looking for tutorials, videos and so on, the amount of info was overwhelming and soon I got a ton of links... but didn't read it all and finally thought maybe it was too much for me (u.u)

So after nearly a year (I guess) I started round 2 and begin to study about RPG Maker VX Ace. In the meantime I bought lot of other resources packs that didn't come in the bundle (mostly music) and get some more links XD

Now I just finished the tutorial-game "Events" (Great work, Dread) and is funny how after that, where before I just saw a bunch of buttons and menus now I can recognize functions and move relatively smooth between the different windows :-D

And of course, now it's the time to create something. But after put my feet on the ground about this, I'm a bit uncertain about how to keep learning, or better said, building a minigame while learning. Of course I can keep reading tutorials (and I will), but I wonder which could be a good method to keep learning and testing.

Lol, this seems more a question than an introduction. Anyways, thanks in advance for any advice :)

2. Cadh20000

Cadh20000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Welcome to the group!

A good way to keep learning and testing depends in part on exactly what you wish to learn. One thing you can do no matter what you are trying to learn is to maintain a rather pointless project going even when you are working on a more serious one, this will give you something to test out new ideas in without risking messing up the one you care about. 

Oh, and ALWAYS keep backups of EVERYTHING you would mind losing because computer troubles and simple accidents can easily ruin or simply lose your data.

One set of tutorials to check would be the one in Andar's sig:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2016
  3. TswordZ

TswordZ Warper Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Thanks for the advices. Keep backups... hmm, in other HDD and on a pendrive must be enough. Hmm, is it enough to just copy the folder on "Documents/RPGVXAce" or is there another files/folder to backup?

About the project... I guess I'll do one about testing (XD), as now that I know how long could the development to be, better keep it simple :p

Ah, and lot of thanks for the links. I'll read them tomorrow (it's a bit late right now).

Edit: Oh, I've nearly forgotten... I've read it's good to play another RPGMaker games for learning, but I wonder if that could lead to "take" ideas from others. Well, it's difficult to invent something, but... risk of plagiarism? Well, that. How good is to play games (They take time, too XD) and what characteristics would need to have to be a good way to learn something? Some examples? (I have several from Aldorlea on Steam, because Steam Sales XD).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2016
  4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The best games to play are those who are not encrypted, because you can then open the game in the editor to see how something is done. And commercial games usually are encrypted.

The link to the starting point tutorial (the one mentioned above) also contains a link to a list of such unencrypted games and where to download them as well as other important tutorials, so you might want to follow it.

5. TswordZ

TswordZ Warper Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Oh, I see. True. If I see something while I'm playing, I would need lot of knowledge about RPG Maker to realize how it's done.

Thanks for all the comments and advice! :D