Hello! Fast and easy way/ tutorial to create own animated tiles like in tileset A1?

Annwfn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone, happy RPG Makin' and may this year be ever more fruitful and fulfilling!

I come with a quick request, but a serious one. I have reached the 999 event limit on my main map of the University (300+ animations through cyclic events - before you ask, there is little to no lag, and am sure it's not because of that!). Now, can anyone PLEASE tell me ways/ links to in-depths tutorials on how to make an animated tile? I am having a 2x2 Sakura Tree I drew in Sakan. It has a 3 frames animation via events that cycle one through the other. Also a surveillance camera that I also drew myself in Sakan. What I'd like to be able to achieve is turn that 2x2 Sakura tree (and the 1x1 surveillance camera) into an animated tile that does its animation on its own (so I spare the event locations to use for real events). Anything I can do? And no, Gridfree Doodads from Yanfly unfortunately doesn't work... Tried it on 2 different machines, unfortunately it won't work.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
most likely you can't use A1 for that, but I'll point you to the needed info to try anyway.

There is a blog post called "Anatomy of an autotile" here:
That describes the structure of a single autotile frame.

There are also several more tutorials on autotiles on the blog:
and more, just search.

Now, an animated autotile is nothing but three regular autotiles that are animated by switching between those three frames, like any sprite does with the default frames there as well.

So for this idea of yours to work, you first have to turn that tree into an autotile. Theoretically this can be done, but most likely it will require you to use shift-click mapping after disabling the autotile-parts of the tile, manually re-collecting the different quartertiles needed to build the tree tile (you'll understand why I'm talking about quartertiles after reading the "anatomy" blog, that is the basic element of the autotiles)

Annwfn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That was a fast reply ^^ Thank you! The tree itself only has the lower 1x2 part of it animate falling leaves, the upper part is static, so I can adapt it. Your last paragraph sounded so alien to me it almost hurt XD It's also 2 am in here :D

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your last paragraph sounded so alien to me it almost hurt
that is why I mentioned that you need to read the first linked tutorial before understanding what I'm writing about. Please ignore that the tutorial says VXA - the only difference between MV and VXA is the size of the tiles, the structure of the autotiles and how they work is absolutely identical.

Annwfn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know about that, MV uses 48x48, the rest use 32x32 as of what I've read :) Thank you!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know about that, MV uses 48x48, the rest use 32x32 as of what I've read :) Thank you!
and because of that, the autotiles are constructed from 16x16 quartertiles in case of Ace, but from 24x24 quartertiles in case of MV.
and your tree would have to be cut into those quartertiles as well in order to be made into an autotile.
however you'll need 20 quartertiles constructed in a very specific way to create an autotile, and it will probably difficult to build all 20 variants based on your tree, which is why I said using that animated tile will get tricky.

Annwfn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh come on... What's life without a lil' challenge? XD I will figure that out. Only the 1x2 lower part of it is animated, so I think I will have to make each of the 2 squares separately. Will have to try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Well, I'll have you know that I'm still around, looking for opportunity to resurface with some stuffs.
I like to think of Profile Posts as tiny homes, full of all kinds of unsuspecting suckers "future" friends.... Many of which are of course only going to be excited when a strange man in black suddenly shows up to say hi. :LZSexcite:
Stream will be live shortly with some more Haunting Ground! Today, we encounter a new stalker! Feel free to drop by!
Tried the new Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus today. Very nice device overall, but flagship smartphone prices are getting completely out of control.
Sometimes I feel like I don't belong here. I feel like I have the exact opposite interests in storytelling as everyone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rallenism