Hello folks! How to proceed best with releasing a demo of my game?

Annwfn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone, Annwfn here, again! This time with a request on releasing a demo of my game, which will be 1 year of age on the 13th of March! Yey me ^^ I have read some posts around here, but didn't seem to find too much Windows-related.

My game is gonna be a Visual Novel mainly (the Chapter I am working on is a Visual Novel, with very little RPG ideas, and will be large enough to be a game on its own if I choose to discontinue the rest). It will feature some biggy maps which mostly are empty, except for some events within the University map (working on breaking a huge map into 3 separate ones for the floors, with a new extra one for the rooftop). The events I have are scattered around the map and each is Autorun, to make sure the player cannot ruin anything by mistake or by non-mistake (I know, I am a hardened tester of all possible exploits). So I would be interested in criticism over:
1. the events themselves (there will be an item given to the player for each, that will teleport the player to the location and also start the event - to make sure the player doesn't spend time actually looking for them - will be removed on final version).
2. overall looks of the maps, if I can improve on them and see if other people can notice some bugs/ bad interactions I might've overlooked.
3. Environment and how it feels. (Each will be updated in time)

What I am willing to do is THE most intricate RPG Maker MV game ever, event and mechanic-wise, while also focusing on sharing some of the wisdom I have acquired through various dialogues, as well as ideas on Consciousness, life, spirituality, psychology, psychiatry, perception, etc.

Am interested in how I can share my progress with people in such a way that they can easily access it, while ensuring I do not expose the plugins and DLCs I have bought (spent around 1k dollars on my game: to the public for free use, because it wouldn't be fair for the owners. I have never done this before, my first game project in RPG Maker, so I am asking how I should proceed with the demo making.

Also, another point: if I release it, without any problem at all, how can I make sure I will easily update it with whatever I change to it, so that people can always have access to the latest version of my work!

Please provide me with as many details as possible since I am a beginner at this!

Yours faithfully,
Annwfn

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay... this thread goes over a LOT of stuff and depending on what you're really asking I'll move the thread to the appropriate subforum. Is this an inquiry about:
  1. Looking for some criticism about your game?
  2. How to release a demo?
  3. Which platform to distribute the demo?
Depending on which one it is I'll move the thread.

Annwfn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, I would like to know tips and pieces of advice on how to create a demo of my game for Windows. And how to/ where to put it for people to have easy access. Also if I can update it with any new versions I decide to bring in.
And yes, willing to create a demo of my game to see how people will react and what constructive criticism I can get ^^ Hugs, and thanks for the quick reply!

Yours faithfully,
Annwfn

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Since it covers a wide range of subjects at all once, I'm moving this discussion to General Discussion for now. But I would encourage you to create more specific questions in the future. If you have multiple questions, you can create multiple threads.

Moved to General Discussion

Also, no need to be so formal. This is forum after all. Don't be intimidated by my moderator status haha.

As for your question, I'll divide my answer in different sections:

Tips and advices for Demos
A demo should not be too long, maybe 1-2 hours, and should give the player a taste of the game. In the demo, showcase the regular gameplay of your game. I like to put the player in a dungeon in the middle of the story to give them a sense of what the regular gameplay feels like, the battles, the characters, the interaction between characters, dungeon exploration, etc. But of course, what a demo needs to be depends on your game. There are many threads on how to make a successful demo, I would suggest you read them.

Distribution of Demo
There are many popular service to publish your games/demo. The most popular indie game publisher is probably itch.io here, since it's free and pretty good. You can even use their app to push automatically updates to players, but it will only work with players that are using the itch.io desktop app, which I suspect is not the majority.

Steam is another popular option, but you have to pay 100$USD per game entry. Players on Steam are using the launcher so you can be sure they get the updates when you push them.

For any additional info, I suggest you start a thread on this subject. There are also many pre-existing thing on this particular issue, so I would suggest to do a search and have a read.

Tips and criticism
This is not the right subforum to ask for criticism and tips on a particular project. If you want criticism about your particular project, you have to create a thread for your game in the Games in Development subforum, or the Ideas and Prototypes subforum. Check out the rules for both subforum.

Annwfn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, thank you for your kind answer! Reason why I am formal is mainly because... that's me :D Now, point is this: I am interested in the legal part of the demo, not how to act with it.

<> I have several events to show the player, since it's gonna be a Visual Novel, so it mostly will be reading text, busts, music and different ideas. So I don't mind some criticism about that to know what to improve on.

<> I am interested in how to proceed with creating the demo in such a way that the DLCs and music that I have bought cannot be taken by others for free (not fair for the owners). This is something that interests me.

<> I know about itch.io, I will also post it there, and I already have some of the events posted on my lil' Youtube account for people to see. But once a demo is available I'd be interested in seeing what people would think of it (am interested in creating THE most intricate RPG Maker game yet). Thanks for telling me about the Steam fee though! Hugs >:D< Keep up the good work, you are loved and appreciated!

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I would like to know tips and pieces of advice on how to create a demo of my game for Windows.
This goes to the deployment forum support
And how to/ where to put it for people to have easy access.
This goes to this general discussion
Also if I can update it with any new versions I decide to bring in.
This can go EITHER or BOTH. Depends if you focus on the technical (how to update the game) or probably discussing how an update should be (replacing the old demo with a new one or provide a patch)
<> I am interested in how to proceed with creating the demo in such a way that the DLCs and music that I have bought cannot be taken by others for free (not fair for the owners). This is something that interests me.
You're looking for "how to encrypt the game". It is better if you could separate the discussion rather than dump all together here.

Annwfn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, you wonderful soul! Yes, update the older demo version with a new one on that platform. Most likely through patches, as you mentioned! And yes, I would like to find some ideas on how to keep the game updated (technical issues, not the creation of the demo - in part it's done).

Also, I love the video series on "Making your first game"! Thank you <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm currently available for hire for scripting (and perhaps other things).
Also, don't worry, the Advanced Minimap plugin is a work in progress.
Hallelujah! Work is getting stricter on humans in the store.
Day 3 of mapping... at least the whole game its just one location :3 (Still taking forever...)

Almost 5 am.. and I decide to put up a Youtube video instead of sleeping. It's strangely addicting! :kaoswt:
If I survive the pandemic without 2nd degree obesity, I'll celebrate. The stress I have to deal with at work is so insane my candy consumption has increased by 400% just to help me survive the day sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qutera