Hello! I'm new and i have questions!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frankster300, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Frankster300

Frankster300 Programmer/Game Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey everyone! My name is Frank. I have a great idea for designing a game, and i wanted to ask the forums a few questions before i throw myself into the deep-end of this project. You dont need to answer all of them if you dont want to!

I'm using RPG Maker MV, and i have alot of experience with programming, story development, and game balancing. Im also pretty good at any game you give me as well :wink:

If your interested in helping me out with my project, just message me or comment on this forum. If i decide to go all in on this project, ill need all the help i can get! (Ill make another post with the entire project in place.)

1: What are the basics of asking for help with resources? (Sprites, backgrounds, and tiles) (Copyright issues, etc)
    - I did read the recourse forums a bit, but its not clear as to what type of content i can ask, and if theres clear rules about what i should do with the crediting a person if they dont ask for anything other then a mention. (Where and How would help).
    - If someone else gives me content that i think is theirs, and they stole it from someone else, do i get in trouble for it? Will removing the copyrighted content protect me from infringement/punishment?

2: If i were to monetize the game im making (10-15$), do i need to give a cut of what i make to the creator of the software im using? Can i even monetize the game in the first place?
    - I'd also like to know if most pixel RPG games created here are free, i wouldn't want to make a game for 10$ when theres a FTP option.

3: What are the standards of a good pixel rpg? (Duration of game, difficulty, tone of story, etc) (Battle centered vs Puzzle centered)
    - I have alot of experience with storytelling, but i need to know if theres any clear differences between roleplaying games like Skyrim and Dungeons and Dragons, vs a game someone expects to play with RPG Maker as the engine.

I have follow up questions, but these three are the most important. It's whats going to make or break my choice in following through with this project.

Thank you, Frank. :kaopride:

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    1: You can ask for small resources (1 - 2 sprites, etc). Otherwise we can find already existing ones for you. Or you can recruit someone to make them for you under project recruitment. Copywrite issues should be ok if you use them in good faith that they were the original works of the person you got them from, but be careful with sprites and musics that are clearly from other games, as those can run into trouble.

2: RPGMaker does not ask for royalties. The only restriction on selling the game is you have to own the engine, and be able to provide proof of purchase if someone asks for it.

3: This is a broader topic and probably best continued here in general discussion. Let me know when you've seen my posts to 1 and 2 and I'll approve your post for comment on #3.

3. Frankster300

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So with 2, as long as i buy RPG Maker MV (which i did) im good? Im assuming yes lol.

With 3, does that mean that my forum wasnt posted onto the general discussions thread when i posted it the first time? There needs to be a mod who pre-reads what other people post before its public? If so then thats cool, i like that idea. Must be hard shifting through so much content though!

Also real quick, when you say "we can find them for you", do you mean the mods can find them for me, or people in general can find them if they have them?

Please be mindful of the rules and don't double post. Your two messages were combined.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2018
  4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    For 3, no mods don't sift through every post that is made. What happens is that everyone's first couple of posts have to go into a moderation queue so that we can weed out the spam bots which would otherwise flood the site.

And "we can find them for you" is forum Members in general. Mods might be able to answer a query or request, but there is no special onus on us to do so, after all we are not omnicompetent.

And just to end on a different point, 'General Discussion' is not about individual, specific projects, but broad themes, so if you want to kick ideas around that are particular to your game, then we have a section. 'Ideas and Prototypes' for that.

5. Frankster300

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh no, i just wanted these questions asked real quick and then leave this here for anyone else interested in this information.

Thank you for answering them you guys, your awesome!

6. Frankster300

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I do have one more question though lol.

I was looking at some of the DLC, and ive read a few comments here and there that says that you need to give credit to the people you buy the dlc from, and on top of it you cant use dlc content for monetary use. Does DLC fall into the category of what you said before about as long as you buy it, and if asked show proof that you bought it, then you can use it? I would love to have this clarified.

Thank you, Frank

7. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Frankster300 Just so you know, this is what double posting is - posting two (or more) replies in a row without anyone else replying. If you think of something to add and no one has replied, you can go back and edit it. The exceptions are if you post say, a resource topic and have an update, if it's been a day or so, you can post an update. Or in game development topics, you can post a new update every few days or so. Thanks!

And yes, DLCs should be able to be used in commercial products once you purchase it. There should be a text file in each pack saying who to credit and other specific information about the allowed usage of it.

8. Alisu

Alisu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have a newbie question of my own, in spirit of this thread. It's about cross using the assets between rpg makers. I just got both vx ace and mv, and while I ended up using mv for now, inquire like the style of the monster graphics in the vx ace better. Am I allowed to use either, that is, ace graphics in mv project? Or even edit and combine graphics from both?

Which brings me to another question, am I allowed to edit the default graphic assets to my taste and still use them?

9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Alisu One of the things we ask people is not to hi-jack someone else's thread with their own, different questions. It is not fair on the OP and it can cause deep confusion about which question is being answered. You can read the Forum Rules here. Please do not do this again.

Just this once, I'll answer your questions despite that.
    You can use assets from any RM engine you legally own in any other RM engine you legally own.
    You can edit the default assets from an engine you legally own as much as you want and use them in your game.

10. ashikai

ashikai Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Frankster300 To address #3....
    This video discusses that a bit. Not that RPGM is for JRPGs only, but I think that's what most people expect to play when they see "made with RPGM." You can totally make a WRPG with it, but I think they're less common. Anyway, it's an interesting dialog even apart from the engine being used.