Hello, my name is Koenig

Koenig

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello everyone, my name is Koenig. I am new to these forums and I am looking forward to getting acquainted with many of you here.

Background: I am a recent graduate with a degree in electrical and computer engineering tech and have been job hunting ever since. Part of the reason I went into computer tech was to gain some experience with programming and similar deign principles, as I have long been interested in game design, but have yet to actually make one myself (unless you count Unity tutorials, which I certainly don't!)

Goals: At least for things related to this site, I have dabbled with RPG maker several times in the past, but without someone to guide me or hold me accountable I have always gotten bored of it after varying degrees of progress. I am hoping that making an account here and meeting you all will be just the kick in the pants I need to stay motivated and complete a project (no matter how trivial it may be)

Horn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there!

About seven years ago I was doing my first Unity tutorials and today I work for one of the biggest AAA studios, so y'know - step in the right direction ;)

Koenig

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello there!

About seven years ago I was doing my first Unity tutorials and today I work for one of the biggest AAA studios, so y'know - step in the right direction ;)
Quite the achievement! Got any particular directions or advice you might share?

Horn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Directions or advice? Well, after thinking about this for a little I'd advice you and any other people interested in working in the industry to:

1. Keep making stuff - apart from playing tons of video games I've always been creating things like short stories, pen&paper RPG scenarios and later on game mods. I think it's important to become a programmer, writer, artist or designer on your own, before you actually become one "professionally".

2. Keep. It. Simple. - last mod I made was (only) 3 hours long and took me and my two partners year and a half to make. Sounds crazy, right? Making video games - especially those content-oriented like RPGs - is extremely time consuming. So if you want to finish something in a reasonable time span and you don't have whole studio of people (although even game companies overscope their projects all the time) you got to keep things simple.

Here, hope it helps someone in their journey :)

Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Stay motivated is best advice. If you know you can be committed and serious, I'd advise seeking out a partner. Maybe someone who has recently released a game on their own. The path to making and releasing a game is long, draining and if they where passionate, they probably feel they cannot beat what they released. So it may take a little convincing, but worth it to have another person with you. You'll both hit highs and lows in the development and your high "cycles" may not always inline - but you push eachother to keep going.

In the meantime, make a 1 hour game because that developer will ask for proof you are serious, skill level and so on.

Pixeloong

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Welcome, that's amazing! I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do here!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Trading has been halted on the TSX (Canadian stock market) because of "technical issues". Suspicious... I'm bracing myself for a sea of red tomorrow lol
The Loco-Motion song pre-dates the dance. Meaning the lyrics are kinda misleading. "Everybody's doing a brand new dance now"... No they weren't, you just used peer pressure to trick everyone into going along with it.
Love it when someone confuses "RPG Maker (or script/plugin) has a bug" with "I didn't set it up right and it's not working as I want (or gives an error)"
Is animation really as hard as I think it is?
Out of sudden, snow. Everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chungagunga