Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello,

Newbie with the system here. I picked up RPGMaker MV on a whim, because it was on sale on Steam, and seemed like it would be kind of fun. I've played a number of different games of this style over the years, and when I saw I could export them to different platforms, I thought it might be cool to make some games for my kids (android tablets). And then maybe to work with them to make their own games. Not sure if I'll get to the point of trying to sell games or not, I figure that's a pretty long way off for certain. At the moment, I'm still making my way through some tutorials, and getting the basics under control.

One thing I was curious about, is, if I've bought MV, is there actually any reason for me to go with VXAce as well? I realize that's an older product. It does seem to have a lot more content at the moment, but I figure that's just because it's got years more support behind it, and that MV would likely catch up in the long run (one hopes) as far as content is concerned.

Most of my game building experience has been in the MUD/MUSH/MUX world where I used to do a lot of site coding, etc. Both Hardcoding and Softcoding, but that's all at least a decade ago, so getting back into the coding mindset will probably take a while. I'm not (typically) a programmer, and Javascript is something I've never much played around with, but I guess it would be useful to know.

My art experience is limited to a lot of work with Campaign Cartographer, making maps for various D&D and other RPG games, but other art as well. I don't know if I'll be able to use that in the back end to make any custom art, usable for here, but I guess I'll look into that once I'm comfortable enough with this product to decide to try my hand at it, or I find I really want/need something I can't find elsewhere.

Music? I'm not even sure where to start on that, since I haven't made any computer music since my Commodore Amiga days. I'll have to see what options exist. But that's probably the last area I'd work on, though I wouldn't mind suggestions as to what tools people use.

One last question, I saw that IG Maker had an export option that would allow it to be played on an Xbox. Is that possible to do with MV as well? Or is that IG Maker only feature. I think that would be cool.

Thanks for reading the long winded hello.

-Edgre

Yo Ewan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Don't know many answers to these questions, but as for picking up VXAce, I would when its on a sale.
Ace is often £6.99 or less when its on a sale.
Because of its age, there is many more scripts and community mods.
There are also some VX Ace features that arent in MV (although there are many MV features that are missing in Ace) but it's a matter of preference really. I like both.
That's just my opinion, though; I wouldnt go off a lot I'd say, Ive only been using it for about a year and a half.

Edgre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not quite that cheap at the moment, but it is showing at %60 off, which is the same deal I got for MV (Hence why I decided to just go for it.) I'll be honest, this really has been a spur of the moment decision, one I'm hoping will lead to many hours of fun (surrounded, probably by many hours of lots of work. :smile:) And if I can make some puzzles that stump my sons, I'll be extra happy about it.

I think, from what I'm reading, the two versions aren't really directly compatible. Is there a way to import into MV what was created in Ace? Or are the platforms essentially divergent?

AbyssalDarkness

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First Welcome to the forums, it's a nice place full of hidden knowledge, hope you'll find it as helpful as I do.

As for your question about VX/Ace, all the RPG makers have their Pros/Cons.
For me Older versions just won't cut it for a lot of things. Mainly the JavaScript/Plugin part as I didn't like the way we had to organize and handle scripts in the past versions.

Those are just my opinions:
XP has the best map editor of them all, but I also think that's the only thing it got. It's simply getting to old for me.
VX/Ace had a lot of nice scripts written for it, but I think its the most cumbersome map editors, and the resolution is more than lack luster 544x416, is simply a joke in this age of 4k screens. You can boost this up a little with scripts but still be Miles away from modern resolutions.

Before getting any Older RPG makers, I would look deeply into their "limitations" before doing so.

Edgre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, that became moot, since the sale just ended. Ah well, probably just as good. I think it's going to take a while to grok everything in MV. Probably best not to confuse myself with lots of different versions of the same general software before I have my feet under me, as it were.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Making games is the only thing I'm good at. Real talk.
So, uh... where's the RPG Maker MZ update with the MV animation system? Is there a release date confirmed?
Also I'm kind of brave enough to admit this. I... I have a crush on Sephiroth.
Please don't call me anything offensive. I'm naturally crazy.
thanks to a lot of lunatic coding... my game finally has a stun mechanic that I feel really good about. damage enemy's mental psyche (mp), and once empty, hitting with certain attacks trigger combos that can stack the damage.
Waiting for the 1.40 update before testing out my copy of MZ so that I don't end up adding unnecessary work to my plate. Meanwhile the current fourth draft for my story is taking shape, and I'm fleshing out the lore as I realize how things would make better sense here and there for the world that I'm building.
Sword_of_Dusk wrote on BCj's profile.
Just found out about your complications. I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I wish I could do something substantial for you, but our distance from each other makes that an impossibility. Still, if you ever need to talk or vent, I'm here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShadowGlitch