Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions/Farewells' started by adistantanxiety, Jun 14, 2019.

1. adistantanxiety

adistantanxiety Writer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm new here and very new to RPG Maker, so I'll probably be asking for advice quite often. Variables still confuse me, as I've always been intimidated by anything to do with numbers, but I want to persevere.
    I can't draw, but I'm a writer with a degree in creative writing and film studies, so I'm fairly confident in my dialogue and characterization. I want to tell stories using RPG Maker.
    I hope to get along with all of you!

2. Animebryan

Animebryan Feels like I'm slowly dying! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Welcome to the community! Variables are easy to understand. It's basically a number that keeps track of something & you can set events to check that variable to see if it's a certain number or if it's high enough before performing whatever function you need. Just fiddle around with all the various event options until you get an understanding of how everything works & you'll have an easier time putting together a game.

adistantanxiety likes this.
  3. adistantanxiety

adistantanxiety Writer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you! Do you have any general tips for a beginner?

4. Animebryan

Animebryan Feels like I'm slowly dying! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Do you know how switches work? Switches are simpler than variables. They're a binary function that is either On or Off.

The way progression works in RPGs is that you have your introduction of the story & characters. Then you give them a task to complete, often involving going into some kind of a dungeon, usually either a cave or tower. There they usually have to find something (aka Fetch Quest) and/or deal with some sort of monster that's stronger than all the other enemies (known as a boss or mini-boss). The player usually can't progress to later areas unless they complete this task.

The way ahead would be blocked by some means but will open up after a task is completed. That's where switches come in. You set the obstacle to block the way but when the task is completed a switch is flipped to On. Now you can set that obstacle to allow a player to go though.

What could also help is Yanfly's Let's Make a Game Comic Series on YouTube:

There's 5 videos showing the basics on how to put together a RPG for beginners.

5. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Welcome!