Sparky89

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello all, i'm new to RPG Maker VX Ace, i literally bought it the other day and spent 12 hours straight onit..

I have done many things already but some things are complicated for me.

I was wondering if this fantastic community can help...

I'm trying to run a quest that has an NPC MR H request that i give X item to his son.. NPC... i can get the boy NPC to check Inventory for that item. but when i go back to the original NPC MR H how do i get him to acknowledge what i did with NPC boy?

I would like Mr H to move 1 step aside ( he is in the way until quest completed ). so how do i tie in this, hurts my head a little as it feels like to many switches and conditions KABOOM.

The work around i have is that the boy npc gives a letter and i get the npc mr h to inventory check this.. and then move but i rather not do that...

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
'Scripts' is where people who have written a completed script they want to share with others can post them.

[move]RPG Maker VX Ace[/move]
It also helps greatly if you can give your topic a title which gives some indication of what your query is. It helps other people to identify if this is something they could help with, and it also means that if anyone has the same query in the future, they have a chance to find the thread and, hopefully, the solution.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are your two NPCs on the same map? Do you need to SEE him step aside or talk to him again before he does? Or do you just want him in the new position after you've given the item to his son?

Either way, you will do it with switches.

When you give the item to the boy, turn on a switch (not a self switch) to say the item has been delivered.

Then you will have TWO events for your original NPC, with the same sprite. One will be blocking the passage and is the one you will talk to to get the quest. Give that event another page, conditioned by the switch you turn on when the item is delivered, but don't put any sprite or make any other changes to it. The second one will be in the new location and will have the NPC sprite. Its page will be conditioned by the same switch.

So while the switch is off, the original NPC will be visible but the second one won't be, and when the switch is on, the second NPC will be visible but the original one won't be.

If you need to talk to him and see him move, you will need an additional switch, and that is the one that will be used as the condition on the two pages. On your original NPC event, have it check to see if the first switch is on, indicating you've delivered the item. If it is, do a Movement Route to turn THROUGH ON, then move onto the same spot as the "duplicate" NPC event and face in the same direction, and then turn on the second switch. This will cause the currently visible NPC to disappear and be replaced by the second one in the new location, but because they're now in the same spot and facing the same direction, the player won't realise what's happened. Then, whenever you come back to that map, the second event will be visible, in the "moved" location, rather than the original one that was blocking the way.

Sparky89

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are your two NPCs on the same map? Do you need to SEE him step aside or talk to him again before he does? Or do you just want him in the new position after you've given the item to his son?

Either way, you will do it with switches.

When you give the item to the boy, turn on a switch (not a self switch) to say the item has been delivered.

Then you will have TWO events for your original NPC, with the same sprite. One will be blocking the passage and is the one you will talk to to get the quest. Give that event another page, conditioned by the switch you turn on when the item is delivered, but don't put any sprite or make any other changes to it. The second one will be in the new location and will have the NPC sprite. Its page will be conditioned by the same switch.

So while the switch is off, the original NPC will be visible but the second one won't be, and when the switch is on, the second NPC will be visible but the original one won't be.

If you need to talk to him and see him move, you will need an additional switch, and that is the one that will be used as the condition on the two pages. On your original NPC event, have it check to see if the first switch is on, indicating you've delivered the item. If it is, do a Movement Route to turn THROUGH ON, then move onto the same spot as the "duplicate" NPC event and face in the same direction, and then turn on the second switch. This will cause the currently visible NPC to disappear and be replaced by the second one in the new location, but because they're now in the same spot and facing the same direction, the player won't realise what's happened. Then, whenever you come back to that map, the second event will be visible, in the "moved" location, rather than the original one that was blocking the way.

Hi Shaz that is quite some detail , i think i understood most of it. so allow me to explain a little more encase, see link to Video i made to explain what is going on i hope this helps you get my picture. thanks again.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Very straightforward - when you give the teddy bear to the boy, turn on a switch. Name that switch so that you don't accidentally use it again for something else.

On your soldier sprite, have a second page with the same graphic, but conditioned by the switch I just mentioned. That page will only run after the switch is turned on. On that page you put all your commands for giving the royal seal and stepping aside.

I think it might help you if you had a look at Celianna's tutorial on switches and variables. As it is a playable tutorial it is quick to learn from. The bonus is that it was made in Ace and she left it unencrypted so that people can open it up in their editor and see exactly how things were done.

Last edited:

Sparky89

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello Kes
Very straightforward - when you give the teddy bear to the boy, turn on a switch. Name that switch so that you don't accidentally use it again for something else.

On your soldier sprite, have a second page with the same graphic, but conditioned by the switch I just mentioned. That page will only run after the switch is turned on. On that page you put all your commands for giving the royal seal and stepping aside.

I think it might help you if you had a look at Celianna's tutorial on switches and variables. As it is a playable tutorial it is quick to learn from. The bonus is that it was made in Ace and she left it unencrypted so that people can open it up in their editor and see exactly how things were done.

Hi Kes, I went down a completely new route but managed to keep what you said. Resolved !! I didnt know you can condition the switch instead of just inventory checking.. so this has helped alot ! thank you!!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just a little close up shot...
w2xZocX.jpg
finally drew the last member of "team outcast" for my game. since my game has a lot fighting game elements in it, there's bosses in teams of three like King of Fighters.
Run Script Calls & Play Unique Sound Effects With Each Skill & Item | RPG Maker News #113

Let's continue making our game in MZ! Touchfuzzy is... still eventing... though this time we may be working on eventing some tutorial stuff for our players!

I work late on the game so I sleep in then I wake up late so I have to work hard to make up for sleeping in meaning I work late again and sleep in again... what a nasty cycle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrimCr