RMVXA Help Coming up with Tiered Skill Names

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by Vis_Mage, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The entire point I was making was not about ambiguity of definitions, but about ambiguity in reading and processing the spell name itself.

While I think Flare is a pretty clear name in definition too (even if you're thinking of a road flare, it still suggests an outburst of Fire), we can both agree that the word "Flare" can be easily read and comprehended the first time you see it - not confused with other words or gibberish.

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The point still stands though, our english names are not going to be clear to non-english speakers. I'm sure there is a language somewhere where Fire is not clear as it means something else, especially if your game is not translated for that language. For example, No va means no go or doesn't go in spanish for instance. So someone in a spanish speaking country might think a spell of Nova means Stop, not an outburst of fire.

Granted the difference is the space, but it is possible to make that error and think the space should be there. Sometimes we see what we want to see when we read things (and I say that after most of an entire class added the word only to a problem when it was not there, and the only changed the entire meaning of the question).

@ave36 : One thing to consider is a young player or a very tired player will make errors in comprehension, and we should never assume our players will play a game and are able to give it 100% attention, as usually only those who can do that are in the age range of 16 - 24 or so. Once you get past 24, you are talking gamers that might have families and the kid might interrupt at any moment. Or the dog. Or so on. But...if you put in your description what the spell does and means, I think you'll be fine, as if there is any doubt the player should read the description before selecting the spell.

Though...I think I should make a game now where Flagra is a skill where you do plant a flag in the enemy for 9999 damage now. Or other silly weird interpretations of common (or uncommon) names.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  3. ave36

ave36 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am terribly sorry. As I said, I live in Russia, which means I may have no idea about the current trends on political correctness and may innocently say something forbidden. Will not repeat this again.

4. Vis_Mage

Vis_Mage Novice Magician Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you for all the input everyone! You've given me a lot to think about. :kaothx: