[help] Conditional choices based on who's in party

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by amptcat, Jul 20, 2017.

1. amptcat

amptcat Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Okay, so i have a script that lets me bind the T key to bring up a choice menue (in common events)
    How i want this to function is to have conversations with the current party members, so:
    Press T - shows each party member
    Select party member - start conversation tree
    progress as usual.

So far, like i said, i got the script to call the common event, but i cant figure out where to start on the party member select thing. The only thing i can think of is to have super complex series of branches checking for every combination of characters, but i have more than a dozen characters so that won't work.
    Does anyone have any ideas for this?

Help appreciated

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you need to use text code for the show choices (name of party member #1 in slot 1, name of party member #2 in slot 2 and so on.
    Then use control variable (game data ID of party member #1) in the show choices branch to find out which actor was selected.
    after that the third step is a series of exactly one conditional branch per possible actor, containing what that actor says.

Nothing complex at all, just a linear sequence - the combination of the party member doesn't matter when doing it this way.

3. amptcat

amptcat Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I follow the stuff about the party member ID variable, but i don't know how to use text code in the choices. do you perchance know how i would start learning how to do that? I'm googling but i'm not having much luck

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  4. Zarsla

Zarsla Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    In the manual you'll get the default codes. To find the manual(I'm assuming you have steam). You need to go where steam is installed and go to steamapps then common then RPG Maker MV then to the folder Help, click index and it will open the RMMV manual.

If you have MV installed directly on your computer(with out steam) then just go to where MV is installed and go to Help. In Help clicked Index and it will open the manual.

Once in the manual under Event commands, go to messages and then scroll down until you see this giant chart with a list of all text codes.

5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @amptcat textcodes work in the show choices in the exact same way as they work in show text, and they are replacement placeholders, for example /V[4] to display the content of variable 4 or /p[1] to display the name of the first party member.

If you don't know how to use text codes, then you should really go to some tutorials to learn the basics - the Poster above described how to get to the manual where they're listed (although there is absolutely no need for going through the files manually, just start the editor and press F1 or go to the help menu, that works for both steam and standalone)

Additionally, you might want to follow the link to the starting point in my signature to get to tutorials for learning the basics.

Zarsla likes this.
  6. amptcat

amptcat Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    woooow ok yeah this all makes sense now.
    sry i was literally googling "rpg maker mv text codes" and getting zip. I really just needed this list and i'm notoriously bad at checking help files (i guess i got it in my head at some point that no one puts actually useful stuff in them. proved me wrong)

but yeah, i got this to work as intended and i'ma learn all these codes now! thanks guys!