Help getting a new laptop

EtphTheElephant

Advanced Elephant
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I currently own a Toshiba Satellite and I gotta say that it's a worthless piece of sheep. It lags really bad, seriously, when I test-play it gives me 28-30 FPS range. That's how bad it is, it isn't even a year old, I got it back in April. So do you guys know of any good computers? My budget is up to $700.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
before changing, does it actually lag for other things too? also, it might just be viruses or too many apps running... or your disk is so fragmented... you know, things like that... 

EtphTheElephant

Advanced Elephant
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Everything, even the simplest things. It's that bad.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
can you give us a link to the technical data of your current notebook?

Usually there is a single bottleneck that slows down the rest of the computer, if the current computer is less than a year old and still too slow for most programs.

Identifying that bottleneck will also tell us for which uses your computer needs to be optimized, and what kind of computer you better purchase.

That said, most probably you got one of those modern notebooks where a big part of the grafic processing is moved into the processor instead of a dedicated graphics chip or a shared grafics chip.

If you see a notebook with an Intel Pentium 2020 processor or an  AMD A-Series processor, then you should be very carefull - if those notebooks don't have an additional grafics chipset, then they will go down in speed as soon as you do anything complicated in the grafics area.

Another usual bottleneck is the RAM (and in that case, it might be possible to upgrade the notebook instead of buying a new one), you should not buy a notebook that has less than 4 GB (better 8 GB) of RAM if you're looking for speed, especially if the RAM is shared with the grafics card...

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First thing: What do you do on your laptop?

What you use it for is going to inform what kind of specs you really need. For 700, you should be able to get a pretty competent laptop for most things, but I'm not sure what your needs are.

EtphTheElephant

Advanced Elephant
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First thing: What do you do on your laptop?

What you use it for is going to inform what kind of specs you really need. For 700, you should be able to get a pretty competent laptop for most things, but I'm not sure what your needs are.
Developing, gaming, bit of school work.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No, that definately wasn't the best one to find.

The AMD E1-1200 is the slowest of the new multi-function AMD-CPU's, with the slowest graphics function inbuild - that Notebook can't be used for more than office-work.

If you're looking for a notebook, set the CPU-name and the Grafic-chip-name into google with "test" or "Benchmark" added, and then read three or four of the test reports you'll find.

That "accelerated dual-core" in the description is only there as advertisement, and has nothing to do with reality. Mostly that Notebook is/was wasted money, because the CPU can't handle much in the way of gaming or graphics...

EtphTheElephant

Advanced Elephant
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
EtphTheElephant said:
No, that definately wasn't the best one to find.

The AMD E1-1200 is the slowest of the new multi-function AMD-CPU's, with the slowest graphics function inbuild - that Notebook can't be used for more than office-work.

If you're looking for a notebook, set the CPU-name and the Grafic-chip-name into google with "test" or "Benchmark" added, and then read three or four of the test reports you'll find.

That "accelerated dual-core" in the description is only there as advertisement, and has nothing to do with reality. Mostly that Notebook is/was wasted money, because the CPU can't handle much in the way of gaming or graphics...
No, I meant that was the best technical link I could find xD. And that is my actual computer too.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No, I meant that was the best technical link I could find xD. And that is my actual computer too.
OK, in that case it did explain why your computer is lagging - the CPU can't handle anything halfway decent, that notebook is designed for office-work (writing, calculating) with extra long battery life (because that's the advantage of that CPU-series: it needs extremely low power output, allowing for a lot longer battery life when fully charged compared to CPU's with higher speed and the added consumption of a dedicated graphics chip).

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV

kerbonklin

Hiatus King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why don't you just right-click My Computer and hit Properties? It'll display your RAM / Processor / System Type / etc.

If you want to do a good PC cleanup/optimize, use Advance System Care.

By the way if you wanted to do intense gaming, I would just recommend getting a desktop. Don't even think about a notebook, and only a regular laptop if you have cooling pads or an external fan pointing at it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why don't you just right-click My Computer and hit Properties? It'll display your RAM / Processor / System Type / etc.

If you want to do a good PC cleanup/optimize, use Advance System Care.
He already gave the technical data with the first link above, and with that system no matter of cleaning or optimizing will help. The AMD E1-1200 is simply too slow to handle games, that processor was optimized for low power consumption (the combination of CPU & GPU has a total consumption of 9W according to some tests I've read this week when looking for a new NB myself).

If you consider a consumption of 9W for CPU&GPU and compare that to gaming PCs that usually need powersupplies above 400W to handle everything - you can't optimize that NB enough to run any decent, modern game on it...

EtphTheElephant

Advanced Elephant
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

kerbonklin

Hiatus King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nobody ever pays me in trident layers... =/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I really need to stop thinking there are new freebies just because someone made a new post in the freebies subforum lol.
AND just like that..... I got STEAM DLC up and working! YES!
Game making is like a marathon, except the last 1/4 is more like sprint... a very long and intense sprint.
Finally got to finish the demo for my project!
Another week has gone by. Maybe you made changes to your project/s. Maybe you didn't. Nonetheless, THAT IS NO EXCUSE TO NOT BACK THEM UP O_O!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AZAIKING