Help! how do I get multiple Battle BGM?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Danganronpa, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Danganronpa

Danganronpa Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi I just started and I'm in the progress of making battles and only one battle theme plays so I looked for it and it was in the system tab but it can play only one song and I looked on the internet and I can change it in the troops tab and add an event to change BGM and I did but still nothing and even plugins don't, can someone please help me.

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Events -> Change Battle BGm. It's a command under the events list.

3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You don't change it in the Troops tab. You use the command listed above BEFORE you enter a battle. So you have to do it in a regular map event.

4. Danganronpa

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What do you mean the command listed above and in regular map event?

5. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Exactly as we said. In whatever event is calling your battle, you put a command first to change the battle BGM. Then use the command battle processing to start your battle.

Now if you are using random battles, then it gets much more complicated I'm afraid.

6. Danganronpa

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    oh, I get it but im trying to do it for random battles :(

7. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Then it gets much harder. I can only see a few ways to do it:

1: If you want it to be unique for the map, you can set a parallel process to run on the map with the following commands:

Set Battle BGM (the music)
    Erase Event.
    The erase event will keep the parallel process from always running and lagging the game.

2: You *might* be able to do it where you set no battle BGM in the system tab, then in your troop event on turn 0 use play BGM. But you'll have to start a new game to test if that will even work. I've gotten play BGM to work in battle (I used it to change the music when the monsters that show up via the appear halfway command showed up), but never tried to see if anything done this way could work.

3: You could request a plug-in to select a random music from a list which you provide. However, since troop events have no notetags I don't think you could do one where they read data from the troop event and play a music you selected. At least not easily.

1 has the problem is it is exclusive to the map, 2 has the issue that it might not work, and 3 has the issue that it will be random from a fixed list. If you want it exclusive to a troop 2's the only option that has a shot of working as you want it though.

Though...you could just do what I did, where I changed the battle BGM after so many Chapters had passed. I know all the Mana Khelmia games did this, and I think Ar Tonelico did this as well. That way you just put in the cutscene you run at the start of the chapter.

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Why do you want to change the BGM? There must be some point where you say "okay, now I want THIS BGM to play". That must be an event. Put the command into that event.

If you want a different battle BGM for each map, then on each map add an event that's set to parallel process, that does the Change Battle BGM command, followed by an Erase Event command. That means each time a new map is loaded, the battle BGM will be set correctly for that map.

If you have a boss battle and you want a different BGM just for the boss, and then to change back to the regular BGM, you will have an event (you'd normally use a Battle Processing call in an event for a boss battle rather than random battles anyway). Do the Change Battle BGM command to set the boss battle BGM, then call Battle Processing, and then do another Change Battle BGM command afterwards to set it back to the regular BGM.

If that doesn't help you enough, then you need to provide more information about why, and when, you want the battle BGM to change.

9. Danganronpa

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Shaz Sorry about my poor information of the problem but I wanted all random battles for each map area to have a special BGM and you solved it for me thank you so much sorry for bothering you and thank you bgillisp for helping also.

10. Rabie

Rabie Seeker of the balance Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Another way:

In each troop, set the BGM for the 'next' battle (not sure how you'd specify for random BGMs) and turn on some new switch you make.
    Then, on each map with random encounters, use a similarly self-erasing parallel process event to flip that new switch on.
    Now, make a new common event which is activated by that switch and have it change the battle BGM and turn the switch off, effectively removing its processing (I'm not sure if that's true about common events, but I'd hope it is lol)

If this works, each troop would determine the BGM of the next battle, which should only cause repeating music if the player happens across the same troop more than twice. (With the 3rd iterations and onward playing the same music as the 2nd since it is set by the troop during the 1st)

If this seems like a method you would prefer but doesn't quite make sense to you, PM me and I'll work you through it.

EDIT: Thought of this immediately after posting.

You can (if you deem it necessary) use conditional branches to check which enemy has appeared and set the battle BGM appropriately in a common event, relinquishing the need for you to ever edit Troop Event pages. Just make sure to flip that switch which activates your common event at some point between or during each battle so that it will run the BGM randomizer common event.

New steps for this method:
    Common Event: Uses conditional branches to check which 'Enemy Appeared' and change battle BGM appropriately. At its end turn off its activating switch to prevent unnecessary looping.
    Map Event: Self-erasing parallel process just flips on the switch to activate said common event.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017