Help - How to show enemy state icon below the enemy in a sideview battle

MaxLionheart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Hi!

I have spent several hours trying to solve what appears to be a very simple problem... but I haven't been able to find out anything...

I'm using a lot of Yanfly's plugins, including BattleEngineCore, AnimatedSVEnemies, BuffStatesCore, etc.

Right now, when an enemy is affected by a state, the state icon is shown over the enemy's head. However, it looks pretty weird with how my enemy graphics are made. I'd like to have the enemy state icons shown below them.

Is there a simple way to do that?

Thanks in advance!

Raexxar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi!

I have spent several hours trying to solve what appears to be a very simple problem... but I haven't been able to find out anything...

I'm using a lot of Yanfly's plugins, including BattleEngineCore, AnimatedSVEnemies, BuffStatesCore, etc.

Right now, when an enemy is affected by a state, the state icon is shown over the enemy's head. However, it looks pretty weird with how my enemy graphics are made. I'd like to have the enemy state icons shown below them.

Is there a simple way to do that?

Thanks in advance!
Propably yes, but you need to find in code where it is and change it to your liking. Firstly you can search in Yanfly's battle plugins he have everything sorted in his code. If you don't find anything you should check rpg_scenes and rpg_windows .js files in /Your Project/js/ folder. You should look for something similar named to Scene_Battle, Window_Battle or something like that. When you find it search in it for something about states etc.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

I've moved this thread to Plugin Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Gregaur

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey
With the Yanfly Animated sideview Enemies you have fiew notepad :

English is not my native language but the note :
<Sideview Hide State Overlay>
doesn't do that ?

If not you can change your "hit box" size :
<Sideview Height: x>
It won't change the size of the picture but only how the game considerate its Height.
If you make it big enough the state icon can be outside the screen.
Not the best I know.

Third solution but not easiest
You create a special State for this kind of enemies
and if you apply a state to them, it apply a new version of it with out the icon (like you double all your state in the database)

MaxLionheart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Thanks for replying guys!

Propably yes, but you need to find in code where it is and change it to your liking. Firstly you can search in Yanfly's battle plugins he have everything sorted in his code. If you don't find anything you should check rpg_scenes and rpg_windows .js files in /Your Project/js/ folder. You should look for something similar named to Scene_Battle, Window_Battle or something like that. When you find it search in it for something about states etc.
Yes, I thought of playing in the base code, but I have no knowledge of programming, so I'm a bit afraid of trying to... Same for looking in Yanfly's code... I'll try to look into though.

Hey
With the Yanfly Animated sideview Enemies you have fiew notepad :

English is not my native language but the note :
<Sideview Hide State Overlay>
doesn't do that ?

If not you can change your "hit box" size :
<Sideview Height: x>
It won't change the size of the picture but only how the game considerate its Height.
If you make it big enough the state icon can be outside the screen.
Not the best I know.

Third solution but not easiest
You create a special State for this kind of enemies
and if you apply a state to them, it apply a new version of it with out the icon (like you double all your state in the database)
<Sideview Hide State Overlay> hides the state overlay, so things lke the animated poison bubbles or the sleep's Zs. This isn't what I'm trying to move (I'm not using them). I'm trying to move around the little square icons that indicate a state.

As for playing with Sideview Height... it actually worked! I never thought it wouldn't affect the sprite itself, but just the hitbox around the enemy. To move the icons below the enemies, I actually had to put a negative value (so my enemies are -80 pixels high, if it makes sense!) However, it creates another problem: all the battle animations are off the target now... but I can probably fix that by manipulating the animations themselves... or tweak something else... Anyway, thanks for the idea :)

By the way, I continued searching for a solution yesterday and I came upon an addon by DreamX called DreamX Battle Sprite Icons. There's an option called "Normal states Window Y" that seems to indicate we could move the "y" value of the icons. However, the way to change it is complicated as it's written in code:

this._battler.spritePosY() - this._battler.spriteHeight() - this.standardPadding() - (DreamX.Param.BSIIconHeight * 2) - (this.standardPadding() / 2)

I tried to change the "2" but I didn't seen any difference. As I don't understand how that formula works, could anyone help me understand how to change that formula to actually lower the y?

Thanks!

Gregaur

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I may be wrong but if you don't want to change the animation because it may change from a enemy to a other, you should play with the anchor (It's the pixel from where it start to count the height)
<Sideview Anchor Y: y.z>
But be carefull if you use some YEP_Action Battle, cause it use this Anchor for movement. It may look odd.

I think you can play with those two parameter without touching the animation.

But the second solution would be, maybe to play with the animation's location (head, center, foot) can be a solution.

If I understand it right :
Head is the Anchor Y minus the height
Foot is the Anchor Y
And Center is Anchor Y minus Height/2 (the middle)

You should play with that :)

MaxLionheart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I tried to play with the settings you mentionned, and yes, I've been able to position my little state icons and animations as I wanted :)

But I also completely messed up where the numbers on the enemies popped up, the animation of the enemy attacking my party (when an enemy attacked a hero, it came close to my hero but like it was 2 feet high in the air!) and other little stuff....

So it ended up being way too complicated in the end :S

BUT the good news is that thanks to your advice, I've been able to reposition the state icons closer to my enemies without affecting too much the rest...

TBH, I think I've hit a sweet spot at the moment... and I'm thinking it might even be better as it is than if I placed the icons underneath the enemies....

Oh well, thanks for your input, it's really appreciated and it helped me improve the overall look!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Anyone else here think that closets are claustrophobic?
People3_5 and People3_8 added!

so hopefully tomorrow i get to go home from the hospital i've been here for 5 days already and it's driving me mad. I miss my family like crazy but at least I get to use my own toiletries and my own clothes. My mom is coming to visit soon i can't wait to see her cause i miss her the most. :kaojoy:
Couple hours of work. Might use in my game as a secret find or something. Not sure. Fancy though no? :D
Holy stink, where have I been? Well, I started my temporary job this week. So less time to spend on game design... :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamy7i