Help. I want to read some variables from the game and create a JSON with that data.

Magusalfador

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English Spanish
Primarily Uses
Hi all,

My objective is to do like a test leaderboard of sorts. So what I want to do is read some ingame variables and store them in a JSON file.
I have basic javascript knowledge.

Could you guide me as into how to create this json file so I can use that data elsewhere?

Thank you!

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You'll want to use the file system, and stringify the object with JSON.stringify

let fs = require('fs');
// Now the temporary variable fs has access to read/write to the machine's file system

let dat = JSON.stringify(obj)
// obj is the object you plan on storing as JSON

fs.writeFile(stringFilePath, dat)
//first arg is the string that holds your filepath, and the name of the file you wish to write to or create

And that's pretty much it.
Your file path would look something like
'data/Cardbook.json' if, for example, you wanted to create or overwrite a json file called 'Cardbook'

EDIT: fyi, in case you didn't know how to load them, there are two ways I can show you to approach this.

First method is to add this file to the DatabaseManager._databaseFiles array, preferably by aliasing the DatabaseManager.loadDatabase function.
This method will ensure that your JSON files will load and create objects for themselves when the game is loaded. This is probably the better method because you can write ensure that whenever any other object like $gamePlayer would be available, the object you use to read your JSON will be available. This will result in a global variable, just like $gamePlayer that is always available once the game loads.

let alias_loadDatabase = DatabaseManager.loadDatabase;

DatabaseManager.loadDatabase = function(){
DatabaseManager._databaseFiles.push({name:$myCustomData, src:'Cardbook.json'});
alias_loadDatabase.call(this);
}

The second method is to use the file system, like when you write to a JSON file. However, you'll need to parse the data for it to become an object again. Otherwise, it will just be an array of numbers. This is better if you only the data temporarily, especially if you have a lot.

let myData = JSON.parse(fs.readFileSync('data/Cardbook.json'))

Last edited:

Magusalfador

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English Spanish
Primarily Uses
I think it is not that complicated then..I´ll give it a try and if I have more question, i´ll be back.

thank youuuu!

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A note, just in case...I don't think this will work for non-local (i.e. Web-based) deployments, since in that situation there is no access to the filesystem, i.e. the library request require('fs') will fail.

If you need it to work with web-based stuff (like the game saves), check out the getItem and setItem methods of localStorage. Also, Utils.isNwjs() should return true iff the game is running in local mode. :)

Magusalfador

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English Spanish
Primarily Uses
Im not planning to do web deployments, but if I ever need it, thank you for the heads up =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I was planning to release a useless plugin for april fools, but then I thought I let it be.
Tfw every dev around me is using Live2D in their MV games and make me question my skills repeatedly.

Spending the day reworking my maps, especially the first "biome". This time it's not even in the dark. :LZSwink:
Activity on the forums has increased lately, probably because of people staying home. The amount of work for moderators has increased lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lightburnz