mrtoadiington

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey all! I've recently downloaded RPG Maker MV for OSX (thus I use Steam), and I wanted to know about adding parts to the character generator. Now, I've read a lot of threads by now on how to do it, so I'm fine on that front. The real issue is that I am having trouble locating the generator folder on my MacBook. This is the pathway for OSX:
Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/RPG Maker MV/RPG Maker MV.app/Contents/MacOS/Generator

However, the pathway stops at the RPG Maker MV folder, and the following image is all I have access to. There is no RPG MAKER MV.app ; I tried to search on 'This Mac', but the only folders with .app that appear are strictly Apple related. If I click on the icon it will, of course, just open RPGMV. I've also tried to bypass .app by just search the folder before Generator, but when I click on a MacOS, there is only terminal file named Voice.

For anyone else that uses RPGMV on a MacBook via Steam (or anyone really is familiar with OSX), have you run into this problem? And if so, how did you resolve it?

I apologize in advanced if I've posted this to the wrong section.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 1.50.13 AM.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you're being blocked by a protection setting in the MacOS.

ALL programs in MacOS are application folders, but those folders are protected to keep people from messing with the program data.

the RPG Maker MV with the castle-icon in the screenshot above - THAT is your .app folder.
But you cannot open it with a doubleclick as that defaults to launching the program.
you need to click it with the override button, then you'll get a window where you can choose to open the app-folder.

Unfortunately I don't remember which button is the override - apple, select, command, one of those buttons in the bottom row of your keyboard, but I never bother to remember, just test them when I'm at a Mac elsewhere (don't own one myself)

mrtoadiington

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you're being blocked by a protection setting in the MacOS.

ALL programs in MacOS are application folders, but those folders are protected to keep people from messing with the program data.

the RPG Maker MV with the castle-icon in the screenshot above - THAT is your .app folder.
But you cannot open it with a doubleclick as that defaults to launching the program.
you need to click it with the override button, then you'll get a window where you can choose to open the app-folder.

Unfortunately I don't remember which button is the override - apple, select, command, one of those buttons in the bottom row of your keyboard, but I never bother to remember, just test them when I'm at a Mac elsewhere (don't own one myself)
Hey Andar! Thank you so much for responding so quickly and letting me know about that! Unfortunately, I tried all the buttons but they did not work. However, good news! I messed a bit by right clicking and when I pressed show info the entire name (extension) included .app so you were correct! Then, out of sheer curiosity, I clicked on show contents and it got me the rest of the pathway.

Hope you have a good week <3

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've decided to try and be more social and less nervous about engaging. I'm always over thinking things - from now on when I'm worried or don't get something I'll just ask.
Sometimes a mechanic that is meant to add challenge is just annoying. Even the Final Fantasy games did not completely escape this pitfall of design. (FF8 draw system I'm looking at you - grrrr)
starting working on the sprites for one of my games major antagonists finally. here's the first frame of his chanting motion in battle.
Have spent too much time hammering out with a friend just how to make a reoccurring enemy that permanently learns skills you use against her.
I know what I want in a loose sense. Maybe I should just make a post asking for opinions and suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imfayzer