Help making a 'Hide' mechanic

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by DropDeadStudios, Jan 20, 2019.

1. DropDeadStudios

DropDeadStudios Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I want to make a game where the player is on the run; events move towards them to try and catch them if the player gets too close to them, but there are special 'hiding places' he can use while the monsters walk by.

I'm not sure how to do this. I'm sure there are plugins/tutorials to help me with the 'proximity to the player' part, but the hide mechanic itself eludes me.

My initial thought was to make an event above the player that triggers a switch on touch that changes the enemies from 'approach' to 'random' movement, then have events under the player surrounding that cover spot that triggered on touch and turned that switch off. However, that created a huge barrier of cover since wandering monster events can't seem to cross other events, even if they are on a lower priority, so the space the monsters couldn't walk started getting really huge.

Is there a way to allow wandering monster events to cross over other events, or a better way to accomplish the 'Hide' mechanic that I just don't know about?

2. Silva

Silva Scoobityboo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Events cannot move through other events unless they have "through" enabled. Enable this on your "exit hide" events and the chaser will be able to move through them, they will not be able to enter your "hide" event if you keep through off.

upload_2019-1-19_16-16-55.png

3. DropDeadStudios

DropDeadStudios Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I had never noticed that option! Thanks!

Silva likes this.