Which Sprite Style should I use for a game I am thinking of starting?

• Row 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Row 4

• Row 5

• Row 6

• Total voters

Kyoku

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Uh, well in order for me to help you choose, maybe you can show me your tilesets or the feel your game has to it. I'd hate to choose a sprite and have it not match anything in your game and making it seem like an oddball...

Eyehavey0u

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the help :) good point, but just to clarify I would be using custom tiles to suit the characters.

Sanct

Password Unenthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
Serbian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd stay away from row 5 if I were you. But this is probably a choice you should make yourself/with the people helping you with the game? Now I mean, I'm gonna say something that might sound a bit stupid but, I feel like the sprite style of your game could reflect what the world of your game is like or what period of time it's set in, do you mind elaborating on what your game is about? I feel it's important to know what your game is about before choosing what it'll look like.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
General Discussion forum is not about giving specific feedback on individual projects, but about discussing things more widely.  We have a forum which deals specifically with the creation and use of resources so...

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

And as Sanct said, without some indication of the time period and general indication of story, it is not possible to give any informed suggestions. 

Eyehavey0u

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm not looking for game advice @Kes. I wanted a general discussion on which sprite style I should use.

@Sanct that's a good question in regards to what my game would be about. My next topic was going to be about a list of Gane ideas and which one I should make. But this is after I get the sprite style chosen. So far row one I winning. If I make a game unless someone wants to help it would be alone. 

Sanct

Password Unenthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
Serbian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Row 1 does seem pretty universally viable so it makes sense. I'm inclined to agree that row 1 looks the best (I think it'd work especially well in a fantasy setting, but it's probably the most functionally practical out of all of them).

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Eyehavey0u  Advice on deciding something for your game is game advice.  I'm confused why you think it wouldn't be.  You said in the first post you wanted to know this for your game didn't you?  General discussion is about discussing the way to do things in many people's games at once.  So a discussion about tall sprites vs chibi sprites belongs there.  But a discussion about which sprite you should use isn't about finding information for the general game creator it's about finding information for you personally.  This is the right place for it.  In the future if you disagree with a moderator about an action they've taken as a moderator then you should talk to them about it privately as the rules state.

I personally prefer 1 or 2, but really, this is the wrong order to solve the problem in.  Figure out what you're making first.  I should warn you though, crowdsourcing the entire thing is a terrible idea.  Any game design and plot can work if you have enough passion and put in enough polish.  You should pursue ideas that you're passionate about, not something you think will be popular.  If you're having trouble coming up with something to make perhaps the best course would be to join someone else's group and you'll have not only an idea supplied but also have at least one person on the team who's already invested and passionate about it.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Doing RPG Maker News #18 | Moghunter is Back, Encrypt MV/MZ Plugins, Isometric Geometric Tiles
Unironically, no joke, after consideration and self-reflection, I have decided that the best thing for my creative/workflow/commitment problems is to spend EVEN MOAR hours a day playing videogames than I normally do. (Micro-thread)
FINALLY got my weather system implemented. Who needs a black mage when you have a weathermancer! :p
Oh boy! COVID19 lockdown again! Good thing I already never go outside! :D
This one is less showing off and more 'I really don't know how I feel about this one.' The 'child' sprite template I made either works great or doesn't at times. (She is a fairy, so I made her small).
Morgan.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MS278