help me improve a "Priest" Job

Chompil

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
So, my game has 7 jobs the player can choose from.
they give different abilities. ie: a shepherd can lure monsters with a flute, to fight them all together.
hunters can catch animals for hides, etc, or poison monsters with a poison dart.
the shaman can see hidden things/ reveal ghosts.
but the Priest job is bad in comparison. you throw an incense at a "cursed" monster, which makes it weaker (by purifying it). but there are only a few cursed ones.
what do you expect a Priest to do? what would they do better than other jobs?
for refence, it's a monster-training game, set in biblical times, kinda centered on hunting/foraging. you can see monster roaming on the map, and affect the map: spawn small plants, change the weather, etc.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
for priest like most do:
cures negatives states:
revive fallen allies,
heal allies
shining light to deel AoE to enemies

around those stuff :)

Celestrium

Worldsmith
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Priests for me are about protection. Wards to stave off evil and such. There is a lot you can do with a priest class. I would focus on protections.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Protect and heal mostly

Chompil

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
thanks. but I have a Healer job that does healing, and my game isn't an RPG in the regular sense, there are no mages casting fire/ice attacks, etc. the shaman can be seen as a mage, though, so it's not too far?
maybe Priests can protect their team from status conditions. would that be more "fun"? the other jobs just feel more.. exciting. I don't see why anyone would pick the priest job, and it bugs me.
There are: Shepherd, Hunter, Healer, Warrior/rider, Priest, Shaman and Sage. sage is a special educated person who can use all the other jobs' abilities to some extent.

Beckx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yeah, protection or support buffs by doing some prayer?
I think seeing ghosts or something to that nature could also be applied to priests, i mean, looking at catholic priests and their exorcisms and such.
Though that would be overlapping with your shaman instead the healer :D

priests also deal a lot with death and stuff, so maybe you could turn them kinda "dark" and go a necromancer route?
or they could suck the life power from enemies and transfer them to their allies?

Chompil

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
yeah, protection or support buffs by doing some prayer
I really like this idea. either defense buffs, or prevent status conditions.
maybe instead of seeing ghosts, priests can lower damage from Dark or Ghost monsters

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really like this idea. either defense buffs, or prevent status conditions.
maybe instead of seeing ghosts, priests can lower damage from Dark or Ghost monsters
Weaken dark/ghoslty enemies. Do extra damage to Evil/Undead/Demonic enemies. Group defense spells against dark enemies.
Fortify Spell : either raising characters Def, MDef or double HP

Chompil

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
nice. increased damage to evil monsters + defense boost + purifying cursed monsters..
yeah, that'll make it a viable job. and add some coolness factor, play as evil-fighter of sorts

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there are many way, if there is a hunter, I choose hunter, if you can select 3-4
characters as your team, than most like a healer, but each party have its up
and downs.

so do what you think wil fit, if they complain, try their suggestions or alter
some that you think will fit more.

everyone make mistakes, and dealing with those is just playing around.

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Don't be afraid to cut the class from the game if you think it isn't working out. Better to cut it than create a class that players won't enjoy playing.

I agree with that. If your Priests are useless, remove them. If incense is important, give it to your hunters. Weakening and killing things is their job.

Every design starts with a problem, and the result is a solution to the problem.
Right now, you're trying to find a problem to a solution you already have. This is dangerous, because you might end up finding a problem that doesn't actually exist (in this case the cursed monsters, which are not a problem since they're rare), or creating a problem that completely breaks your game's balance.

Chompil

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
well, there's my problem XD
I started with a base idea of the 7 sephirot which each represents a job/ playing style. I did list all the game resources to see if the jobs are useful/balanced, but didn't consider challenges the player will face. though, the main challenge is defeating monsters in battle. and all the jobs do help, by doing something before the battle, so there's that. and yes, I added the cursed monsters just to give Priests something to do, is it that bad ? ^^;;

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
well, there's my problem XD
I started with a base idea of the 7 sephirot which each represents a job/ playing style. I did list all the game resources to see if the jobs are useful/balanced, but didn't consider challenges the player will face. though, the main challenge is defeating monsters in battle. and all the jobs do help, by doing something before the battle, so there's that. and yes, I added the cursed monsters just to give Priests something to do, is it that bad ? ^^;;

I see what you're trying to do. Since the classes are relevant to your story, you're probably still quite early in the planning phase, which is good.

One thing that could help you with your Priest class, is to have some classes share similar responsibility.

For example, the Hunter could also lure monsters with bait, like the Shepherd does with his flute. Except the Shepherd is much better at it, since the Hunter has to throw the right kind of bait for each monster.

This would allow you to be much more flexible with what the Priest can do.

CrocPirate

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Maybe you can make the Priest class into a pseudo-summoner class. Like they can summon angels to fight alongside the party.
Or ask their god for a miracle.
Examples: Pillar of Fire - Fire damage
Smite - Thunder damage
Deluge - Water damage
Plague - Venom damage
etc...

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How about a move called Rapture or something. When in the overworld, using Rapture will teleport you back to a town/camp. In a dungeon, it can just teleport you outside. In battle, it can help you escape. Doesn't even need all those effects cause I think one or two would be good utility on its own.

Another idea can be building stacks of Favor. You curry favor with God by placing protection things or buffs on party members. You can consume Favor to unleash a massive damaging AoE, a chunky heal (for off-heals since you already have a healer class), some other unique damage mitigation buff, imbuing all allies' attacks with some kinda holy element, reviving all dead party members, restoring 50% MP/TP, or literally whatever. What you can do depends on how much stacks you've accumulated.

Maybe they can unlock secret areas by parting a body of water which allows you to walk through it. What if they have a chance of doubling bread you craft or fish you receive occassionally. If you have a time system in your game, they can get their own buff if they drink wine on Sunday heh. I'm running out of biblical references for now.

Chompil

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
have some classes share similar responsibility.
actually, that fits perfectly with the Sephirot, as they're combinations of each other. the sage is already a jack-of-all-trades. I can make weaker versions of each ability, and spread them to other jobs. Healer can use a bait with sedative, priests can play a lyre to heal status and lure foes, shaman can absorb a cursed foe's HP, and sage can have all of the above.
Maybe you can make the Priest class into a pseudo-summoner class.
the game has no magic/mages, and it's ancient religion (no Christian angles), but yeah. priests can summon a guardian monster (which they worship) into battle.

imbuing all allies' attacks with some kinda holy element
I didn't get the favor idea, and teleport-to-inn will be a menu option. but this is a good one. can be a way to hit Dark or cursed monsters harder.

thanks for everyone's ideas, now I have too many good options XD, I'll have to choose.

Last edited:

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Protection and Healing are two different things and honestly they can play two very different ways. Another option would be to allow the Priest to create "consecration" type effects that target either an ally monster or an area of land (depending on whichever would work better for your particular battle system) - and if the enemies attack that ally or walk into that land, they take damage or suffer disabling effects.

For some inspiration, check out Guild Wars 1's list of Monk Skills, and sort the table by Attribute. Note how the Healing Prayers, Protection Prayers, and Smiting Prayers all feel so different in their playstyle. My instinct is that the most "fun" and unique way to design your Priest class would be mostly in the vein of Smiting Prayers, with a couple of Protection Prayers type of skills thrown in which might make the Smiting Prayers more efficient (by virtue of being able to take more hits and thus make the opponent suffer more retaliations).

Tohtori_Jamba

Hot food hurts
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could give light magic / holy spell for damage dealing, but balance out damage to be a bit on the weaker side if your priest also heals. About healing, you could think of the ways how it works; are they more indirect or direct heals, stuff like that leaves regenerating health up for each turn or just regular bigger heal.

Also magical binding chains for paralyzing foes (plus minimal damage). Maybe something related to holy water as well? or prayer beads.

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't have time to read all the replies, so if someone already mentioned this then ignore my idea.
Since you say the monsters that would require incense are fewer and further between... make those monsters VERY difficult to handle unless you're a Priest. This can give the Priest a little more Umph! without mechanically changing much. :)
-MIA

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

After gathering, sorting out & reconsidering hundreds of enemy battlers over the last two das, finally my favorite part begins: Inventing names and lore for them all :D
I'm running a sale for Learn RPG Maker MV on Itch.io, can I compete with NSFW games earning goals?
Another Friday and another Zoom call that could have been an email. Working from home is awesome.
Finished with the semester; finally have some time to play around with MV :kaopride:
Started work on the fishing Mini-Game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Azel2