Jragyn

JABS codemonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
"priests" don't always have to be robe-wearing wimps. You could make it more akin to something like a "monk" or "templar"/"shrine knight" type deal, and broaden your definition of what a "priest" is.

If you did something like that, your doors of opportunity open!
For example, as a "monk-priest" or whatever, you could leverage stuff like "true sight" and maybe bypass puzzles with it or dispel curses from otherwise dangerous terrain, etc.

If you interpreted as a more "templar-priest", you could leverage state-driven auras that buff your whole party or debuff enemy parties, purify stuff to buff it as well, etc.

If you interpreted it as more "inquisitor-priest", you could even make it more like a mage but centered around torturous types of "holy" magic or something, and/or wield unusual weapons, or even make an entire story arc revolving around how a town perceives you (because inquisitors are known for silencing entire villages with fear), and so on.

The options are endless, and a great place to start if you're drawing a blank is to hit the thesaurus with the word "priest" and see what pops up to really get your brain into gear.

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In most RPGs, priests are simply magic users that use healing and protection spells, with the exception of attack spells that are effective against undead. I was once working on a Neverwinter Nights story in which the main protagonist was a Paladin serving in a very organized priestly order. His sect was called The Blackwatch, and they specifically focused on battling demonic forces. So many times, priests and such are treated as support characters. I wanted to paint a picture of them in a more meaningful role beyond "Ok. you can heal and turn undead. Watch everyone's back."

In order to give your priest characters a more meaningful role in the game, I would suggest asking yourself what role their religious order plays in the society of your gameworld. Maybe they do just heal and protect. And that would be very useful in a world where there are a lot of innocent people that need protecting, and sick and wounded people to heal and cure. Having a priest in your party could open up a branch of the narrative that otherwise might be limited or closed otherwise. Not all classes/jobs need to be combat-oriented.

And don't be afraid to tell stories that have an emphasis on divide intervention. So many people want to tell stories where "God" is an abstract concept, but if you've got priests, monks, and other such religious types, then at the core of what they do, they believe in a higher power that is very real in their lives, and in the lives they touch through their deeds.

You don't have to get preachy with your storytelling. but from my standpoint, what defgines a spiritualistic class/profession best is the story behind the spiritualism more than just what skills and abilities the class/profession brings to the combat mechanic.

I hope that helps. Best of luck in your creative efforts...

Zakarijah

I love making maps!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've actually been grappling with making a somewhat darker RPG (ala Drakengard) and my Priestess character was going to be cursed with a "gluttonous pact" early in the game and have to drain HP from other characters and enemies in order to use her magic.

She would have passive skills where dealing the killing blow would restore her CP (cannibal points) completely, which was unique to her as an MP alternative (can't be healed by any other means).
Otherwise, she had HP-draining Tech-type skills.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Man, this quick One Map game is causing unprecedented amounts of trouble.
I always end up having issues with things i'd never expect.

Capture.PNG

Those friggin mountains man xD
Time for my daily walk/jog ''Literally starts raining while I open the door''
I just discovered there's a giant jellyfish in the Ace RTP. My day is made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
komradiv