RMMZ Help me understand why my parallel event is causing problems...?

MichaelRIR

Niakat on Discord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Greetings! New to RPG Maker, and after a few hours I've narrowed down why one of my plugins is sort of failing.

Intended behavior is two different things. They're causing interference with each other but I'm not sure why.
Behavior 1: Using a common event to get the players current Region ID, display a gab using Visustella's Gab plugin letting them know what area they're in.
Behavior 2: An event(monster) chases the player when they get near.

What is happening? I know for a fact that the gab parallel process is preventing the chase event... but why? What did I do wrong in the creation of my parallel event? Is there a better way to do it without a massive overhaul?

Screenshot 1: The get region ID common event.
Screenshot 2: A snippet of the Region Gab event that tells the player where they are and what level the monsters are.

Attachments

• gab1.PNG
    gab1.PNG
    27.3 KB · Views: 5
  • gab2.PNG
    gab2.PNG
    149.3 KB · Views: 5
  • gab4.PNG
    gab4.PNG
    144.9 KB · Views: 3
  • gab5.PNG
    gab5.PNG
    142.3 KB · Views: 3
  • gab6.PNG
    gab6.PNG
    146.3 KB · Views: 3

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And where is the chase event?

I don't see how these two could cause problems with each other, unless you're using the same variable for two different things. Have you set up the plugins correctly - check all the parameters and see if any of them have default switches or variables, and if you've used those for something else.

MichaelRIR

Niakat on Discord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I am fairly certain it's the gab parallel, that they are both setup correctly and that it is the gab causing the problem. I assume due to being parallel, it is stopping the chase event from firing correctly. If I remove the gab event from the scene, it works perfectly. It's something to do with being parallel and firing nonstop.

I spent hours disabling plugins, checking variables, trying new projects, different maps. The map has 7 events. It works PERFECTLY (the chase event) when all plugins are active, and all events EXCEPT the gab event are present. Someone in the VisuaStella discord recommended I throw a single wait 1 frame in the gab parallel event.. going to give that a shot.

EDIT: Inserting Wait 1 frame's throughout the gab did not resolve.

Attachments

• gab3.PNG
    gab3.PNG
    75.4 KB · Views: 2

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
Greetings! New to RPG Maker, and after a few hours I've narrowed down why one of my plugins is sort of failing.

Intended behavior is two different things. They're causing interference with each other but I'm not sure why.
Behavior 1: Using a common event to get the players current Region ID, display a gab using Visustella's Gab plugin letting them know what area they're in.
Behavior 2: An event(monster) chases the player when they get near.

What is happening? I know for a fact that the gab parallel process is preventing the chase event... but why? What did I do wrong in the creation of my parallel event? Is there a better way to do it without a massive overhaul?

Screenshot 1: The get region ID common event.
Screenshot 2: A snippet of the Region Gab event that tells the player where they are and what level the monsters are.
like shaz said... the parallel process should not disturb your event chase player... especially when visustella gab window should not disturb any other event command...

also to be sure... i see your second common event (the gab window showing based on region) is not complete... there's still something below that screenshot... you might need to screenshot the rest of the command too... in case you put some event command that have potential to disturb the event chase... (unless all of them is the same like the one already screenshoted just with different region id condition).

hope this help.

MichaelRIR

Niakat on Discord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
like shaz said... the parallel process should not disturb your event chase player... especially when visustella gab window should not disturb any other event command...

also to be sure... i see your second common event (the gab window showing based on region) is not complete... there's still something below that screenshot... you might need to screenshot the rest of the command too... in case you put some event command that have potential to disturb the event chase... (unless all of them is the same like the one already screenshoted just with different region id condition).

hope this help.

I've attached the remainder of the event, though it is just copy/paste duplicates with the text and region changing.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I assume due to being parallel, it is stopping the chase event from firing correctly.
The whole idea of parallel events is that they can run together - in parallel - without disrupting each other. If it is causing problems, it is something IN the event, or something to do with the plugin setup (of either one) that's doing it.

I would definitely put the Wait X Frames in there, at the very top of the event before any other commands, and I'd make it more than one frame. The player is not going to be moving that fast that you need to check 60 times a second what their region id is. I'd make it a wait of 10 or even 15 frames. It may not help with THIS problem, but I think it's good practice to try and reduce the number of times your parallel events are firing.

What is the id of the variable that you're putting the player region into? (the Get Location Info command only shows the variable name, not the id). In fact, doesn't MZ have that neat addition to the Get Location Info command that means you don't need to put the player's X and Y values into variables anymore? Can't you just select the player from the dropdown list in Get Location Info? Give that a go - maybe it's the X and Y variables that are being used elsewhere.

MichaelRIR

Niakat on Discord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Shaz, I'm pretty new to RPG Maker and am having trouble following exactly what you're saying you would do differently. X coordinate is variable 2, y coord is variable 3. When you say "being used elsewhere" do you mean by other events on the same map? These are the only two events on the map and the problem still occurs.

Edit: You are correct that wait 15 did not resolve the problem. Made it the very first thing at the top of the Region Gabs parallel event.

Edit2: I removed the first two lines of the Get Region common event and changed it to look like this (see attached image).

The monsters "chase" emoji above its head now pops up and stays there a bit longer (probably the wait 15), but he still does not ever begin giving chase and the emoji just keeps popping over is head over and over and over.

Attachments

• gab7.PNG
    gab7.PNG
    85.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
I've attached the remainder of the event, though it is just copy/paste duplicates with the text and region changing.
yeah there's nothing that should disturb the chase event...
you might want to check if there's conflicting variable / switch used by other plugins...

also does the chase event using visustella plugin too? or other people plugins?

btw... if you're sure there's no conflicting variable usage... it might be incompatibility between plugins... you might want to report the bug/compatibility to the visustella team here...

click at number 8. to report to the visustella team...
explain what you encounter there...
make a fresh project with those two conflicting plugins (gab and chase event) and set your parallel event... and upload it in that form earlier...

usually based on my personal experience (i already reported bug 2 times to visustella team)... visustella team might fix it the next week after you report it. (but compatibility problem with other people plugin... there's a possibility it might take longer).

edit:
btw what shaz mean... sometimes plugins used variable (usually defined in plugin parameter)... maybe the variable/switch used twice or more... it's not just at the map with the parallel event... you might want to check other plugins parameter too... also all other map event... basically if there's something that use the same variable/switch as the plugin could broke the plugin function.

you might want to check the plugin parameter of the 'chase event' plugin... does it use variables / switch?

MichaelRIR

Niakat on Discord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There are no other parallel events running, no other plugins turned on.

Could an event from another map be running somehow? Again, rather unfamiliar with RPG M so not sure if that's even a possibility for causing the problem.

I'm attaching every other screenshot I can think of in hopes of showing that it's not variable related, etc. I want to be wrong! I've been troubleshooting it for about 5 hours now :)

Attachments

• gab8.PNG
    gab8.PNG
    137.5 KB · Views: 2
  • gab9.PNG
    gab9.PNG
    35.9 KB · Views: 2
  • gab10.PNG
    gab10.PNG
    14 KB · Views: 4
  • gab11.PNG
    gab11.PNG
    103.7 KB · Views: 4
  • gab12.PNG
    gab12.PNG
    74.6 KB · Views: 4

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No. The only events that can be running are events on the current map, and common events.

Try creating a brand new project with just one map, and just these two plugins. Does the issue still happen in that project?

MichaelRIR

Niakat on Discord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not only does it work perfect in a new project, it works perfect in this project if I just create a new map.

it also works if I cut the gab event out and paste it into a different map :p

load a premade Map, post the monster event in the new map, spawn character in, chase works.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
okay, it's got to be something on that map then.

Copy that map into your new project. To do this, create a map 1 in your new project, save and close the editor. Then copy your "problem" map into the new project and rename it to Map001 (and whatever extension MZ uses). When you open the new project in the editor, your map SHOULD be there. You might need to copy over resources and tileset settings if needed.

Then see if you can reproduce the problem in the new project.

If you can't, and you feel like taking the time, you can zip up your project and load it up online somewhere and send me a link, and I'll grab it and take a look. You'll have to let me know the map id and name (in the editor) and what I need to do to make the problem happen.

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
There are no other parallel events running, no other plugins turned on.

Could an event from another map be running somehow? Again, rather unfamiliar with RPG M so not sure if that's even a possibility for causing the problem.

I'm attaching every other screenshot I can think of in hopes of showing that it's not variable related, etc. I want to be wrong! I've been troubleshooting it for about 5 hours now :)
no... other map event does not run... BUT if you come from other map BEFORE you enter the 'problem map' (teleport for example)... you might want to check the map event in that map you come from too...

and like shaz said... if you could provide a fresh demo with only that map and plugins and replicate the issue... upload it somewhere and share the link... people can try to check the problem :D.

MichaelRIR

Niakat on Discord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Worked perfect in the new project, zipping project now and uploading. Sending you a PM with the link.

MichaelRIR

Niakat on Discord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
To anyone who is curious or following, I've discovered quite a bit in the last few hours.

It is the call to update the variable Region ID that is breaking the chase. Even if I cut out the call to the common event and use script instead, see attached image, the chase still breaks. Gab works, chase does not. It is definitely related to updating variables in parallel events.

I have two other events that break the chase. Both of them have to do with updating variables as well. Any parallel event that does NOT update a variable can be on the same map as the chase event and the chase works fine.

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
To anyone who is curious or following, I've discovered quite a bit in the last few hours.

It is the call to update the variable Region ID that is breaking the chase. Even if I cut out the call to the common event and use script instead, see attached image, the chase still breaks. Gab works, chase does not. It is definitely related to updating variables in parallel events.

I have two other events that break the chase. Both of them have to do with updating variables as well. Any parallel event that does NOT update a variable can be on the same map as the chase event and the chase works fine.
hmmm... try changing the 'variable that updating' in that event to another variable (make it high enough like variable 200++)... does it still break the chase event?

if doing so does not break the chase event anymore then maybe that previous variable used by chase event plugin too and conflict because of the updating the variable... if so... try checking the visustella encounter effects plugin parameter... when i see the plugin parameter list on visustella page... there's 'repel' and 'lure' variable there... does it the same with your region id variable? or any updating variable in those two events?

if it still break the chase event even you change to other random variable (maybe change it few times to make sure)... then probability its a bug is high... then you can submit the bug to visustella team like i said above...

hope this help.

MichaelRIR

Niakat on Discord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I submitted a bug already. It doesn't matter what variable I set it to. I have three different parallel events that break it. All three use different variables.

You can make a new project and break it by only doing the following.

1) create a parallel event that updates a variable (player level, player region, etc)
2) create an event with <alert>
3) start game, get near the event with <alert> that should chase, it does not chase.

I created a tiiiiiiny project with only those things and sent it to the VS team.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

I've moved this thread to Plugin Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally feel well enough to sketch. Took twenty minutes to find the tablet. Another ten for the cable. Only to discover that my Clip Studio Pro license has expired. Yup. Gonna be one of those days.
Is there a way to add pictures to profile posts?
I just graduated from high school yesterday!
I accidently wipe out my entire hdd...
Hey everyone, I'm going to do winners announcement post for the OCCIII after we get the edit bar fixed. It's kind of hard to do any announcement without formatting! Thanks for the patience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkullMetalLord