Help me with a solution for resolution (?)

Graverobber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello everyone!
I get things started in my game, and one of the first walls is resolution.

I believe that the majority people have 1920x1080 monitors. The majority, but not everyone. I friend of mine, by the way, own a 1440x900. I started making the game in 1920x1080, and here comes my first doubt.

1- What would happen if my friend open my game (1920x1080) in his monitor (1440x900)?

Another problem is: The game doesn't looks so good in the 1920x1080 resolution. The character is too small in the screen, and far areas of the map is revelead. This somehow kills the exploration experience. I can solve this with a zoom plugin, even if it makes the graphics lose quality, after all, this would happen anyway if the game was in a lower resolution and the player put it in fullscreen with F4, right?

So... Why I don't solve the problem making the game in 900p or even 720p? This would solve the lower resolution monitor problemas AND the too revealing map in the screen.

Well... My game will be very, very focused in roleplay and imersion. I am an illustrator, and part of the imersion will come with the arts appearing in the screen and revealing things in long dialogues. Make the game in lower resolution definitely would ruins the arts definition. So, my second doubt is:

2- There is a way to produce the game in 1920x1080 and the player have the option to REDUCE the resolution?

With the arts being reduced, instead of stretched, the quality would be keeped.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if the resolution is bigger than the resolution monitor settings, it mostly
go outside the screen (unless full mode) to fill the screen.

while my can handle 1980x1080, I prefer mostly between default (816x624)
if not mistaken, or 1280x720 / 1280x816 (which I use).

some add multiple resolution and default at 816x624, but that is up to you,
but I dislike full screen mode though (can be an option) but NOT as default.

Graverobber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If I force the game to start at 1920x1080 fullscreen, will it automatically adjust to the player's screen, even if he's using a lower resolution than that? Because maybe that would solve the problem!

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can easily test by setting your resolution lower to see what happens.

I agree that the game doesn't look good at 1080p. So you need to decide between whether you really ruin that much of your artwork by sizing it down a bit...or redraw all of the character sprites and map tiles and everything to have larger dimensions and look good at that resolution.

If you do that, you'll have to look for plugins that help you with replacing the map tiles with your larger versions, and modifying collision for your actors and events and such.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I think after I get this game done, I'm going to take a long vacation from game development. It feels great to see the coding skills get better and it is fun - but god it is also so exhausting.
Just advertising that I released version 0.9 of my game yesterday, for feedback purposes. My first game or creative endeavor ever :D Would be cool if someone tries it out!
An overall view of my full set of sprites so far, this was really fun to work in this past year! :kaopride:
1653056206274.png

Even though the game is cancelled, I'm still doing art in my spare time and seeing how it'd look.

It's a lot of fun. Wish I could be an artist!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cpy0716