[Help, Menu creation] How to create a menu with a selection after hitting "New game"?

48Tentacles

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In my game I'm planning to make a selection, there are three choices and you have to select one. Depending of your choice a Switch will be activated, starting the game, and depending of the switch it can affect your gameplay quite a bit. Maybe you get a different dialogue in certain moments. Maybe you get more attack. Maybe you get more defense. And I believe it has something to do with Common Events and Switches so I think I can manage to do that.

The problem is that I don't know how to create such a menu. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) you have to create a new map and set an event in autorun... but that's it. I literally don't know what to insert in that event.

Here's the deal. This is the new, cool, and completely original game you've been waiting for!

Main thing - copia.PNG

And what I want is that after pressing "New Game", I want to put the screen in black (maybe in a black map) and then make a menu appear with multiple windows and descriptions like this:

Menu.png
EDIT: What's below Choice C it should be "Select and activate switch related to Choice C", not choice B.

Is there a specific way to do something like that? Including the images of 50% transparency?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think this should be doable using Yanfly's Picture Common Events - you'd fade the screen to black, display the three pictures you want on the screen, and have events defined for what happens when you click on each one. The transparency should be whatever you created the image at, I believe (if not, there are probably in-game commands to adjust it).

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
a new scene.

down at the core it can be a simple choice window, with flourishing.
but it needs to be a scene, because you have to redirect the main menu that leads to the map scene, to your scene, and then to the map.
since changing switches is possible from both code and eventing, and since doing this at map level would require a transition or a refresh to take the player to the actual game map, all things being equal, you still need a transition from the scene to the map.
might as well use only one and do the processing at scene level.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the simplest way would be to make all three options into a picture, then use an event to show that picture and then show choice (A, B, C) in that event.

it would look slightly different than you envision, but be without any plugin or javascript code

48Tentacles

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think this should be doable using Yanfly's Picture Common Events - you'd fade the screen to black, display the three pictures you want on the screen, and have events defined for what happens when you click on each one. The transparency should be whatever you created the image at, I believe (if not, there are probably in-game commands to adjust it).
Yes, I've seen Yanfly's plugins for a long while by now and I'm impressed with the menu packs. Although it doesn't show the menu layout of 3 pictures that I desire. Maybe I'll go with another menu alternative from that plugin after all, but who knows.

the simplest way would be to make all three options into a picture, then use an event to show that picture and then show choice (A, B, C) in that event.

it would look slightly different than you envision, but be without any plugin or javascript code
I see what you mean. It's much simpler. I'll consider it the last resource if everything fails.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, I've seen Yanfly's plugins for a long while by now and I'm impressed with the menu packs. Although it doesn't show the menu layout of 3 pictures that I desire. Maybe I'll go with another menu alternative from that plugin after all, but who knows.
Again, if you read the way I described it, it is not a menu. It is you using event commands to display three pictures on a black screen.

If that is overly complicated for you, you can absolutely go through some event tutorials available on this site and YouTube, but Andar's suggestion will definitely be simpler for you.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you just need a map BEFORE the actual transfer where the actor start.

you can also event this really easy without the need of a plugin.
in case you want to event it, I made a event main menu, where this is really
do able with small modification.

in case you want to happen at random, I made a plugin for that, which I need
to do some testing to make it stable and it does it for you.

but it isn't quite hard to do though.

48Tentacles

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Again, if you read the way I described it, it is not a menu. It is you using event commands to display three pictures on a black screen.

If that is overly complicated for you, you can absolutely go through some event tutorials available on this site and YouTube, but Andar's suggestion will definitely be simpler for you.
*proceeds to watch the Yanfly of that plugin tutorial five times*
I think I finally understand what you mean by that. On second thought I think I can pull this off if I handle it correctly. Thank you kindly!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Updated the dev logs for the game I'm working on! Check it out here
Alright, I left the modern girl in fantasy brain's hands while I get my - MODERN GIRL WHAT HAPPENED?! I blame fantasy brain for this.

WinaElemental.png
I just realized that, while I was waiting for our little Easter Game to be approved in the Completed Games Thread, the game was already listed for more than a week, without me noticing x.x

So ... very delayed happy easter to everyone I guess? : D
WIP
[IMG width="280px"]https://images.plurk.com/3t2Xc52pKS7ptwWCFMrSen.png[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hesena