Velare92

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there!

Hopefully I'm on the right place for this, and.. hopefully my english is well enough.^^
Im currently working on a Game and I have a problem there. I use the "FSM Map: Town of Beginning" Tileset which I got on Steam and the problem with them are the Doors. Because there are just two Gates, but Doors are missing.

The problem which I now have are, off course, the Doors. I looked on Google for some Door who might be fitting with the FSM Tileset, but I just found some Doors who are too high and they are also floating a bit. Is there maybe someone who can help me out with this?
I uploaded an Image with the Doors. The left one are those which I found on google, the Doors on the right are the basic doors from the rpg maker.

01.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For the floating problem:

Doors need to have ! in their filenames so that the engine knows not to give them the vertical pixel adjustments done with "character-type" graphics. Now if even with ! in their filenames they are still offset, then you'd need to re-adjust the doors in the image files themselves via an image editing program. 

For the height problem:

Take note though that even without the pixel adjustment, those doors seem to be still a bit higher than the black area that you will putting them over on, so you probably either need to shorten them or make the black area higher if those doors would be "openable". Just open them in an image editing program and resize vertically I guess

Velare92

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That ! helped with the floating of the Doors, the only Problem that I have now are the Doors and how big they are.
I tried to make them a bit smaller, but it was directly followed by losing quality of the doors. They are totally blurry now :/

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that means you used a wrong setting for making them smaller - resizing is using mathematics to determine which colors the new pixels are, and some of those formulae blur things while others do not - good image programs let you choose the method, because in case of photography it is usually better to blur when resizing, but with pixel art it's not.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You could have trimmed the door instead of resize... since your characters seem to still be the default size, you could possibly trim the lower portion of the door without having the doorknobs too low.

Velare92

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could have trimmed the door instead of resize... since your characters seem to still be the default size, you could possibly trim the lower portion of the door without having the doorknobs too low.

That's actually a very good Idea... makes me feel stupid because I wasn't thinking about it. Thanks! :)

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's pretty longer to do and might also not work on some cases, but I think it's worth a try if resize won't really work.

Velare92

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The problem that I have now is that I don't have a program to cut those tiles.
The only program that I have and use for cut pictures ist Photoscape. With Gimp I only create PNG files.
Is there maybe someone who can help me with that and cut those doors to the right size?

Just in case if there will be someone, I uploaded the Doors.
Upper Picture - The Raw png file for the doors

Lower Picture - The size they need to have

!FSM_Door1.png

!FSM_Door.png

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The only program that I have and use for cut pictures ist Photoscape. With Gimp I only create PNG files.

Why not use GIMP? PNG files are usable in RPG Maker (and even the images you posted are .PNG files too) and GIMP can cut out parts of images. 

If you can use Photoscape to cut pictures, why not use it?

You can also use Paint.net which is also a free image editing software.

Velare92

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well... let's be honest... I totally suck in cutting.

Question: If I cut all of those, do I have to put them on the right position?

Example: If I cut them and put them on diffrent positions, like a bit to much on the left side and a bit more space between them, will it be that the doors a cut if place them? Like only the half of them because they moved a bit because theres more space between them on the png. I hope you know what I mean.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the sprite format still needs to be followed, which means you have to place the results exactly in the grid - not only cut each part in the same way (as opposed to cutting the entire sprite), but place the cut result correctly.

So no, it is not simple to do - but you would have to follow the same processes in any software, and GIMP has tools to assist with the grid...

If you are too inexperienced to do that yourself, you can of course ask for help here. But I think it would be better in the long run if you take the time to learn how to do it yourself. But that depends on how much free time you have.

Eraine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bit surprised that you do not have doors, 'cause I bought the same set and have 7 character sheets with doors... is there a difference between the Steam version and what you get through this website?

Edit:

Also, the doors you found are by Indrah, from this site, and there's a smaller version too, that may fit better:

Velare92

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bit surprised that you do not have doors, 'cause I bought the same set and have 7 character sheets with doors... is there a difference between the Steam version and what you get through this website?

I got it on steam and there are no Doors in my DLC Files. If there are Doors, I try to Download it again. Maybe it just got "forgotten"... idk

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

"This is the real secret to life - To be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play."
Me: "I don't to use other engines because I'd have to do a lot of coding."

Also my desktop right now....
mycurrentdesktop.jpg

...I literally spend more time using VS Code than MZ. :kaoswt:
actually, are there any JRPG type games (I guess turn based, so not ARPGs like say, Vagrant Story) where you have only one party member for the majority of the game? (I wonder if I'm forgetting something obvious.)
*sigh* This one turned out really well... except for the left arm pose...
fPRzKSp.jpg

Yes I purposely cutout the arm cause from the pic
A month into making my life/dating sim game and I've finally finished making all of the love interests :kaocry: I still have to make most of their emotion range and overworld sprites but aye I'm proud of myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thrash