Tengisgol

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have been creating a small game using RMMV but when you transfer between two maps you just can't move afterwards. I have spent a few hours trying to fix this but nothing seems to work, can you help please, any ideas?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
When you say "can't move", do you mean that the sprite can turn but not move on to a new tile, or it won't even turn either?

If the sprite won't even turn, then you have an autorun event running somewhere which will prevent any actor movement. Check your transfer event to make sure that you haven't still got it running in some way. If it's not your transfer event, you will have to check all map events and all common events. Don't assume that because an event is blank it is doing nothing. If it is set to autorun it will operate. Also look at a few blank common event slots in case you forgot to name a common event.

If the sprite can turn but not move onto a new tile, then it is a passability problem. The first thing to check is the tile set that you are using for the second map. Look at the tileset in the database and check that the top left tile on tab B is blank and set to star. If it is not, it will mess up all passabilities.

SpunkyWunky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know I got the same issue at first. Make sure none of your event triggers are set to "Autorun" and instead try "Parallel". Autorun will stop everything until the autorun event is completed, parallel will run an event alongside what's already happening on the screen- meaning you'll still be able to move.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@SpunkyWunky It's actually not a good idea to recommend turning things into parallel processes, unless that function is actively needed. Lagging problems are the obvious risk, but there are others.
It is much better to turn the autorun off when it has completed its task.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Make sure none of your event triggers are set to "Autorun" and instead try "Parallel".
And that is an irresponsible advice, because both autorun and parallel process have specific functions and need to be used correctly.

If you use parallel processes without knowing what you're doing, you will create a lot of lag - and simply switching an autorun to parallel process is almost guaranteed to add a lot to lag.
Most people just don't detect that at first, because all computers have a reserve to compensate some lag.
They only get problems if they continue to add parallel processes in the wrong way, and after the lag finally shows up their projects are already a mess that need half the events rewritten.

If an autorun blocks the game, it needs to be switched off at the correct part of the code in most of all cases, a change to parallel process is rarely the correct answer (it depends on what the autorun does). Or sometimes (again depending on what it does) the autorun needs to be erased instead of switched off.

so @Tengisgol please first determine wether the problem is passability or autorun as Kes described above.
Then come back here and we can tell you how to proceed. If it is an autorun we'll need a screenshot of the event that has the autorun to determine what the correct solution is.

EDIT: ninja'd because I wrote a long explanation ;-)

Tengisgol

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank-you so much for all your replies. I am going to check these out and let you know how we got on. Really grateful!

Last edited:

Tengisgol

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Back now

I have tried the advice but it didn't work; there were no autorun events running and I checked the passability. So perhaps I should explain.

This is the transfer event:

Capture1.PNG

The player should be transferring from here:

Capture2.PNG

to here:

Capture3.PNG

But this character won't move now.

Capture4.PNG

Any help would be much appreciated, many thanks.

Last edited:

Aloe Guvner

Walrus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you can move around on one map with no problem, but a different map is impassible, the most likely issue is still an uncontrolled Autorun event.
Open the console (press F8), and paste this in, then press enter:
$gameMap._interpreter._eventId

If it says anything besides zero, then there is an active event on the map, you'll have to find it.

Otherwise, try checking the Common Events as well to make sure you don't have any uncontrolled Autorun events.

Tengisgol

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, but I tried it and got zero,

and I haven't been using common events yet.
Capture6.PNG

Attachments

• Capture7.PNG
    Capture7.PNG
    11.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tengisgol please answer the original question directly:
can the actor turn after the transfer, yes or no?

Because if the actor can turn but not move, it is a passability problem.
If the actor can neither turn nor move, it is an autorun.

And unless you broke the engine with a plugin, that is a fact.
It doesn't matter if you found the cause or not, and we need that info to know where to tell you to look next.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What version of MV are you using? If it's a very early version, it would have allowed you to set the top left tile of the B tileset to X which will also cause this effect. That tile should only ever have a star setting, and later versions of the engine will not allow you to change it to anything else.

But please answer the question about whether you can turn to face different directions. Can you access the menu after transferring?

Your answer to these questions will determine whether it is a passability problem or an autorun problem.

Tengisgol

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just a quick thank-you for helping; we're completely new to this! I'm a bit old, and this is difficult for me to understand, but young Tengisgol is uber-enthusiastic and will have an other try and answer your questions in the morning. But he adores his RMMV so I am very grateful for your help...thank-you...

Tengisgol

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK - we've checked and the characters can't turn around (or move) in the new map and neither can we access the menu (by pressing X), hoping you can help?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, if you can't turn around or access the menu, that means you have an autorun event that's active. And if nothing is actually happening, then it's likely to be an empty event, or something that does some "setup" stuff on the map.

So, go to the map you transfer TO, and check ALL the pages of ALL the events. You're looking for anything that is set to autorun that doesn't have any conditions, or where all the conditions are met. Do the same thing with the common events. Especially look at unnamed ones, as you might have been messing around testing something, didn't name it because it was meant to be temporary, and then just forgot about it.

With map events, if you have an event with an autonomous move route, you don't need to set it to either autorun OR parallel process in order for it to execute its move route. If you have an event setting a tint or weather, that should be set to parallel process, and you should have an Erase Event command at the end.

These are among the most common "forgotten autorun" types, so hopefully just that short list might jog your memory and you won't have to look too far.

One other possibility is that after your transfer command, you tell the player to move in a certain direction, and have the Wait box checked, but there's actually an event in the way and the player can't move. This will also cause the same symptoms.

Tengisgol

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you! We checked the Opening Cutscene on the map and it was set to Autorun. Because when you go back onto a map the event will reappear if it was erased, so we added in "Erase event" In the else section and it worked.

Capture8.PNG

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Instead of putting the Erase Event at the end of each branch, you're probably better off just placing it once at the bottom of the event outside of your IF statement. This way, you'll know that it will always erase your event even if add more branches layer on. You can always quickly check whether you are deleting the event by just looking at the last line. The only time you would need to place the Erase Event command inside of an IF is if you want to loop the auto-run until a certain condition is met.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tengisgol
That is NOT a good way to handle such events, because now you'll have a problem if the main quest variable ever gets above zero - then the autorun will again block movement.

If you want someone to leave a map until a quest is finished, you should place the block on the previous map instead of after the transfer. Simply place your conditional branch on the transfer event, with the original transfer commands in the else branches.

Still even better would be to make it a multipage-event and use the page conditions instead of the conditional branches on the transfer event.
I suggest you follow the link to the starting point in my signature and play through one of the eventing tutorial games I linked there, that will show you how to make better events that don't cause as much problems when bughunting.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For autorun/parallel events that you only ever want to run once, add a second event page. At the end of the first page, turn on a self switch. Then set the second page's conditions to that self switch.

The real problem with your event is that you've got everything in a conditional branch. The autorun is going to run continually until it's turned off. Because the condition isn't evaluating to true, it's just dropping through, then looping around to the top again. So your autorun event is running, continually checking the condition, which isn't changing.

Because your event is dependent on the Main Quest variable, and you're not changing that variable as part of the event, you're going to have to use a self switch to stop it repeating.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Going to try my luck with Rust programming language. C++ is just way too gosh darn frustrating.
Phew. Finally fixed all of the tileset and event issues in this demo. And now, it's time to release another, finished game. Stay tuned!
you know, since learning C [;)] I've grown to love VC and OpenGL :D
Welp. Just updated the biplane sprite-sheet with the missing "North" and "South" positions. Really digging the old 1920's aircraft designs as of late. Shame they're not in "vogue" anymore. They had style. I wasn't planning on making an Air Mail-centric game but now it is getting awful tempting.
animation-example.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brunochrono