HELP! No new playtests are working!!!

BurgerMasterMan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As the title says, none of my new playtests are working!
Let me explain: I made a game about a year ago that I kind of stopped working on completely for a few months... Five months or so pass and I decide to return to RPG Maker and experiment with new ideas and designs. I didn't want to screw up my old game so I made an entirely new game to test said designs out. All I did was add more pieces to the character generator and attempt to change the font of the game. Since you need to playtest to see the font, I hit playtest and was greeted with a black screen that game me the infamous "Type error: undefined is not a function" message... It didn't even go to the main menu, it just gave me that screen! The editor and everything else works fine but I can't playtest! To make this even more complicated, I created a new test game and playtested it as a blank project in case I may have done something wrong with the files in the game I actually wanted to work on... The same thing happened! To add on to that, When I pull up my old game I worked on months ago everything works fine. The editor and the playtest work perfectly! I've looked everywhere and have tried everything I could think of to fix this for the past 7 hours and I have literally pulled some of my hair out! Please Help!

IN SUMMARY:
I can't playtest any new game I make even if it's a new and blank project but my old project from months ago works perfectly! How can I fix this "Type error: undefined is not a function" problem!?

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
make a backup of your project and follow the instructions in the 1.4.0 Update topic to update both the editor and your project. Then test again.
If your project is too old, you might have to update all files (either due to file damage or incompatibilities).

You also might have to update plugins you're using - if the core-update doesn't solve the problem, please test if a new game works and if yes, give a screenshot of the console output (press F8 when the error happens in your game)

BurgerMasterMan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok so I updated the game to 1.4.0 but now I have a new problem. The game is telling me that I have the trial version and need to put in my email and product key to activate it. The problem is: I don't remember ever getting a product key because I bought it on Steam and once I had it, I had it. There was no product key given but now I'm required to put one in to proceed. Is there a place in the files I could find it or something? Thank you so much for your help, I would be screwed without you! :)

BurgerMasterMan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's what the screen looks like. To reiterate: I have never seen this screen before...ugh.PNG

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Steam automatically updates, you don't need the updater for that - and by installing the updater you now installed the trial in addition to the steam version. Simply deinstall the trial and use the steam version again.

but you do need to update your project manually in the same way as described in the updater topic, because projects are never updated automatically, not even in the steam version.

BurgerMasterMan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Where do I find the file to uninstall?
Also, I have no project that I want to update. The old one works fine but no future games do. Even when I do uninstall the updater, I'll be right back to where I started with no new playtests working.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) in windows system properties - it is the regular way to deinstall like any other program (you should never delete program files manually, that will cause problems in windows)

2) if your old projects work but not new projects, then your current MV version from steam has been damaged, most likely due to an error in the steam download cache (happens sometimes and that blocks all tries to repair steam programs).

To solve this, follow these steps:
a) clear steam download cache - that is a function described in their support because it is usually needed once per year, follow their help search
b) after the cache has been cleared, right-click on the MV program in the steam client and go to "verify local files" or however that is called in your language version of the client

After that, new projects should work again

BurgerMasterMan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does that mean I should uninstall RPG Maker in general? Is this the right screen? (just want to be sure)

Attachments

BurgerMasterMan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wait! I did the steam thing you told me to do and now it works perfectly!
Thank you so much for your help! Much appreciated!!! :kaojoy:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Chaos17 wrote on Poryg's profile.
Hi, I am following your videos tutorials serie about coding on MV and I am at the third video. Thank you for making it but's a bit hard to follow since you don't show the whole plugin at the end. I had to screenshot the lines between 110-159 because you scrolled so fast on them.
:rtear:
I'm not sure if I should be happy for MZ, or sad for MV.
Not going to lie.... The update's cool and all, but I immediately ran to Mog's site and was like, "Update! Update! Update!" while breathing on the page of his Star Ocean Battle System plugin. :kaoswt:
Ho boi. I can already see the storm of ugly actor faces RTP customizable facesets from MZ are gonna flood. XD
<-- Meet Seith. He begins the story as an apprentice druid, learning to survive in the wilderness by communing with nature and honing his herbalism. Seith has a deep desire to understand the world around him. When wells of chaotic energy begin erupting from the land,corrupting plant, animal and man alike, Seith finds himself on a journey to discover just what this means for the fate of his home, the land of Myarr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James1998