Help out a Beginner? In Need of Advice!

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Rayter, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Rayter

Rayter Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello everyone!

I want to make a short game on RPG maker VX ACE, but I don't want to use the defaults; I wish to create my own. I want to ask about few other things on the topic as well...

What can I use to make character pictures like this? Same for monsters? (doesn't have to be high quality, just something I can use or do to make these)

[​IMG]

Can I get any tips on sprite creation? like a layout or is there a program for it?

[​IMG]

How can I make battle effect such as what is bellow? Is it too difficult for a beginner?

[​IMG]

How do I make sound effects and music? Is there a free way to go about it? Do I have to know an instrument?

[​IMG]

Any other advice? As I said I'm a beginner to RPG Maker, so I will accept any advice from those with more experience!

Thank you to all that replied!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2016
  2. lixerman99

lixerman99 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    For a customizable face similar to that, (although without the body) use the character/battler/faceset generator, if you don't know already.

I don't think you can make monster faces, although to my knowledge some can be found online.

As far as I am aware no particular program for RPG MAKER sprites (i've heard of one but it doesn't get shining reviews).

You can just use paint.NET and stick to the guidelines show by the default sprites. Your program does need transparency though, so original paint and such cannot be used. Once done, you can then put the recources straight into the file for 'characters' in your games' folder or 'tilesets' or whatever. Or, you can import your sprites with the recourse manager.

Don't know about effects.

There are loads of ways to make music for RPG MAKER. When it comes down to it, you can import any music, so it doesn't really matter how to make it.

For the record though, I would recommend Rytmik Ultimate (or Rytmik Light).

If I remember correctly, they're about £12 on steam (so like $18?).

3. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm going to move this to Resource Support, as that's what you are primarily asking about.

That type of face graphic is called a bust - you will need a script to use them in game. You will need to either draw them in a program such as Photoshop or Gimp or find ones already made (there should be quite a bit out there for Ace already).

As for sprites, this topic should help you understand their format. I know there are several topics on tips for actually drawing (again, would need to be done in Photoshop or Gimp or a similar program), but I don't have time to search for them right now. A search through the Resource Support forum or maybe Resource Requests should help you find some.

Same goes for music. Again, I don't have time to hunt it down but I think Ms Littlefish has a topic with tips about creating music, or at least programs you can use.

4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    When you say create your own do you mean from scratch or are you wanting to use a generator?  Do you have experience making anything like the stuff you're asking about?  (Do you draw a lot, have you done pixel art before, do you have any experience composing music and such.)  If you have no experience and want to make everything from scratch I don't recommend it.  These are all different high skill jobs, you're going to get overwhelmed and frustrated, and making a game is a big enough job as it is.  If you mean generator stuff that's going to work out a bit better.  The things that come with Ace are going to be the best option for art unless you own MV as well, since MV's generator is nicer.  You could also make requests for minor modifications of your generated faces.  As long as you're polite about it and don't go overboard with your requests the artists around here are pretty helpful.  There are some programs that will let you generate music without any composition knowledge, but the results are impossible to predict and a bit bland.  If you have no skill in music it's better to find something from one of the musicians here, I'm constantly surprised by quality and quantity of music that can be found.

Rayter likes this.
  5. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I see I got mentioned. :D

This is the link mlogan was referring to. It's more of a collection of affordable resources to dip one's toes into music making, not so much instructions on how to make music. Unless you intend to stick to pre-rendered loops at first, learning to compose music will take a lot of time and dedicated practice. As will art or any skilled trade. Which, of course, is easier said than done. But, if you're really passionate and interested I do recommend this book to get the info dump. 

There are also numerous free resources available for free on this website that will spruce up the content of your game but is already generously provided.  :wub:

6. Rayter

Rayter Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Wow! This is very informative, Thanks for the advice!