Help Request: Inquiry about Scripting (VX Ace)

CptTori

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
[SIZE=10pt]I am CptTori, a current newbie of the forum. I am really curious about the scripting for RPG Maker VX Ace.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I really want to create a system for my RPG. I was thinking about making a “Character Design” User Interface, as well as a quest system and a “Statistics” Thing on the Menu. I desire to create an Experience System and a method to condition the XP requirement to go into different dungeons.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Am I allowed to do that on VX Ace? Maybe I need to use some variables for the dungeons? I am confused about it. Please help![/SIZE]

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The short is yes.

The long answer (still simplified a bit) is RPG Maker Ace uses RGSS 3, which is a custom subset of the Ruby language. One of the major differences is there is no 'socket' command, but there are others. A lot of the games functions are open to scripting - if you open the script editor, the pane on the left side lists a bunch of scripts - you can click on one and the script will show up in the window. There's also another set of scripts not shown there but you probably won't need to mess with those. Anything in that window can be aliased or overwritten. You can also create and use your own custom modules, classes, and methods.

Unless you are really, really, sure of what you're doing and why, leave the original scripts alone and put your changes at the bottom - you'll see a place right below <materials> for that - where it says "(Insert here)". Anything placed there will override the behavior of the scripts above.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's also another set of scripts not shown there but you probably won't need to mess with those.
I find myself 'trying' to mess with those scripts rather frequently. Is there any way of accessing their methods for viewing ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not that I've found :(

Just what goes in and what comes out.

Might be one of the few times I'd go with Ruby's aliasing feature if I rewrote one.

Last edited by a moderator:

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Might be one of the few times I'd go with Ruby's aliasing feature if I rewrote one.
The only problem with that, is you have to know the method name to start with ^_^. i mean, some are fairly obvious and other can be 'found' by creating an instant of x class and printing select information from it.. but you never know what kind of private methods you could be overwriting (unknowingly)

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some of it doesn't even need scripting. The XP requirement for entering a dungeon, for instance, can just be done with a Control Variables command followed by a Conditional Branch.

If you are not familiar and comfortable with scripting, you can also ask for someone else to make your scripts (there's an RGSS3 Script Requests forum - one request per thread), but you will have to give a LOT of detail about how you want it to work, and what you want the player to see. Screen mock-ups are great, as well as a "walkthrough" on what the player has to do to see various aspects of the script in action.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Updated my state Stacker Script on itch.io, github is down for some reason (probs just me).
Wife watching Locke and Key. This show is so bad!! You can't just acclimate to discovering magic or magical worlds in less than 60 seconds.
I think I still prefer RPG Maker over Dreams. Been playing around with it, and the controls are really the biggest flaw for me.
Watching Dragon Quest: Your Story on Netflix and already like 5 mins in we've passed over like 3 hours of gameplay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enkidu