kingxjosh01

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Hello! I am new to the engine and not very informed on coding so I'm confused about the scaling of sprites in-game. I know a sprite sheet has to be 4x4, but the sprite is way too big in-game. I would like to scale it down without losing the detail of the image.

The sheet I'm talking about:
TEST Sprite-sheet
(File too big to upload to forums)

I've been looking in the Sprite_Character script, but I have no idea whether this is the right direction. I've been reading the Contents in the help tab as well.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is that your own sprite that you have made yourself?

The help file will tell you what size they should be. You could also export some of the default ones and see what size they are.

kingxjosh01

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Yea I drew the sprite in Photoshop. Just to test if the size would work. I'll have to look a bit more in the help. There isn't a way to scale sprites in-engine?

KK20

Just some XP Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
You need to rethink what you're doing here. You're expecting a 3632x10236 character sprite sheet to be used in a game engine that defaults to a 640x480 game window. There is a built-in property for sprites to adjust their zoom levels, but it's a rudimentary nearest-neighbor implementation, so it's going to look extremely pixelated.

When it comes to scaling images, always use a third-party tool. Don't rely on the engine (especially RMXP) to do it for you.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you should read the following tutorial to understand how the sprites work in RM

and no
I would like to scale it down without losing the detail of the image.
it doesn't work that way.
details means the number of pixels. scaling down means reducing the number of pixels.

scaling down REQUIRES losing detail, because it will lose pixels.

kingxjosh01

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I think you should read the following tutorial to understand how the sprites work in RM

and no

it doesn't work that way.
details means the number of pixels. scaling down means reducing the number of pixels.

scaling down REQUIRES losing detail, because it will lose pixels.
I've given it a read and I'll try to apply the calculations to my work and downscale them in external software. Thanks for all the help!

kingxjosh01

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
So I used photoshop and tried to stay inside that 640 *640 window size and I got a sprite of 66x193. Now the entire sprite is shown on-screen. Now I believe I'll be able to get away with this size in-game as long as I make my tileset confine by the character size.

New Test Sheet

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally, deleted my Reddit account
I cant say I dont regret it, I honestly liked FMA subreddit, but nah, reddit succs
Ami
need a time to not open my MV,still addicted with new vegas

i wonder what addiction effect behind playing new vegas too much,maybe INT & Science gone worse in many days :D
cdjensen94 wrote on Kaliya's profile.
Are you the one who develops Kaliya's Visual Map Enhancements. If so I desperately need some help. I bought the plugin back a few months. I've only started using it recently.
Cause MP Damage instead of HP, Localization Plugin for Translation | RPG Maker News #112

Here in Fla were are seeing crazy covid spikes and some vaccinated getting bad infections. I had a mild fever on Thurs but it went down fast. How is everyone else doing. Hopefully you are all well. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
komaSteif