[Help] "Super Mario RPG press button on time" battle system

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by ZackyStardust, May 15, 2018.

1. ZackyStardust

ZackyStardust Chaos Phantom Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hiya!
    I'm very fine working with RPG Maker, however, programming is DEFINITELY not my forte. I have studied a few of C++, tho.

Anyway, I'm creating a battle system where, when an enemy attacks you, if you hit the action button on the trigger/right time (the "right time" might be when the SFX reproduces, or when the character flashes) you block some of the damage. The same works for attack - on the right time, you do some extra damage. Spells (damage or healing) have that, too. Whenever you do a "perfect hit/block", there's this resource bar that increases by 1.

I REALLY don't know how to code in javascript, so I need your help guys. How do I do it? I also have to show that resource on screen. I only know "the logic" behind it, and with my coding experience (almost 0), it would be something like this. I also do understand that this may be wrong or just pointless.

When action occurs:
    -When [trigger] occurs:
    --if: [action button]
    --then: [defense/attack variable applies] and [resource +1]
    --else: null

Note that every character has a way to increase the said resource. Protagonist increases when perfect hit or perfect block. Ally X increases when perfect hit or takes a hit. Ally Y increases when perfect heal, spell damage or evade (evade is like block but not quite) and so on.

Extra question: I don't know if it's the right board (if so, ignore it), but how do I customize my battle screen layout? applying the new resource bar?

2. Aloe Guvner

Aloe Guvner Walrus Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Consider using the Timed Attack plugin series found here.

3. ZackyStardust

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh nice!
    It's kinda like what I wanted, but as I saw, it's only for attack - and not for defense. Also, there shouldn't be any indicator on screen - you should only need to press when the attack occurs (middle of effect/with sfx).

I don't know if it's clear enough, I don't know how to 100% explain it in english.

4. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    SRD also has an active defense plugin on the same page that is more like what you're after.

5. ZackyStardust

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's pretty cool but still... Not quite. The defense should only work on the spot, during a pretty small window of time. It also should add +1 to a specific resource (Hope, Rage, Faith, etc, depends on the character) which I, too, don't know how to create.

6. Astfgl66

Astfgl66 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    You can probably do that with my QTE plugin and action sequences.
    Create an invisible QTE that lasts a short time at that point you want in tha action sequence and if success increase ressource or do whatever.

Check out the link in my signature.