Help system (FEATURE COMPLETE)

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by BreakerZero, Oct 2, 2018.

1. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Back with yet another feature implementation analysis request. In the past I've placed these in mechanics/design until they reached a point where it became action and then feature as determined by the mods in the final direction, but I have a distinct feeling about the requirements for this so I'm advancing as I post this time.

What I'd like to do now is go from where I have everything be "learn as you go" to "help me Rhonda" in terms of knowledge. That is to say, I'm ready to start writing my instruction book/help centre.

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    With all of that, I'm not sure what your plugin request is.

Please be more specific about what you want.

3. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sorry about that.

What I'm referring to is the Help/About element - in the startup dialogue and/or pause menu where you have information on how to play, what's happening in the backstory, game mechanisms etc. along with the option to call up the control schema if you need a refresher. (I have that already set to show at new game and during load but MV can load so quick in local play among other obvious reasons that I also want it available on demand.)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  4. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  5. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks, but I ran into a rather unexpected issue. I have my index.htm defined and yet it ain't doing **** - comes up empty whenever I go into the guidebook function. 100% empty in fact.

Also, since I default to full screen it switches to window mode - is there a way once I get the manual going to set display back to how it was after returning to the game?

EDIT: By blank I mean 100% blank as follows:

[​IMG]
    Also, I'd like to know if there's a script to switch the display back now that I'm getting somewhere (as opening the "man page" negates fullscreen which is super annoying and totally not fair to players - especially in relation to my subject matter at the core of the plot).

EDIT 2: This is also when using the defaults. For the avoidance of doubt I'll copy/paste to /js/plugins and see what happens but no matter what I still want to do something about the fullscreen negation after I'm done with this part.

EDIT 3: Still nothing. I'll look at the presentation to see if I can get anywhere on the display part.

EDIT 4: Apparently looks in the game root by default. I'm giving it one last examination for the night and will go from there.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  6. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I'm still stuck on the help file even loading. Regarding alternatives to Yanfly I'm wide open but if I can't bring up what I built already then what I've implemented to date is gonna be totally useless.

7. Aloe Guvner

Aloe Guvner Walrus Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here are some standard things you should share anytime you have a plugin issue:
    1. Screenshot of the console to check for any errors
    2. Screenshot of your Plugin Manager list
    3. Screenshot of the configuration that you have done for the plugin in question
    Without that information, nobody can help you resolve plugin issues.

In this case specifically, if you are using a local HTML file, you should also make sure that it is valid HTML.
    https://validator.w3.org/

8. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really didn't see anything console-wise, plus I don't think I was able to bring it up either. And I believe I also have at least two screenshots of my plugin list to cover all that I have.

In either case, this is now feature complete due to a far easier solution for my needs that's actually more effective in what I intend to accomplish. It's also a great alternative thereof, and I actually just found out about it when I did a search for additional information on this.