Help: Turning sprite into a silhouette?

asatiir

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I want to make a boss start as black silhouette and then showing the enemy in full during the cutscene through transition. is there a way to do this through the engine? I tried looking for this but couldn't find anything.

gothicvoid

[GothicVoid]
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you would need to take the .png of the sprite/art into your paint program. I don't know how Gimp or Photoshop does it... but in Corel Paintshop Pro (which is what im used to) you can take the image and do a "drop shadow" with no blur at 0 horizontal offset and 0 vertical offset and it makes a great silhouette. I'm sure there is something akin to that in the other programs.

Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Through the engine, I don't know, but I accomplished something very similar using Pixi Filter Controller, specifically the "adjustment" filter to modify brightness and alpha of the sprite. Start brightness at 0 to start as black and set a move filter command to have that change to 1 and the sprite will start black and transition to color. You can also lower the alpha a bit at the beginning to give the silhouette a slight transparency.

asatiir

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Through the engine, I don't know, but I accomplished something very similar using Pixi Filter Controller, specifically the "adjustment" filter to modify brightness and alpha of the sprite. Start brightness at 0 to start as black and set a move filter command to have that change to 1 and the sprite will start black and transition to color. You can also lower the alpha a bit at the beginning to give the silhouette a slight transparency.
Can you show me the way you did it, if you don't mind of course.

you would need to take the .png of the sprite/art into your paint program. I don't know how Gimp or Photoshop does it... but in Corel Paintshop Pro (which is what im used to) you can take the image and do a "drop shadow" with no blur at 0 horizontal offset and 0 vertical offset and it makes a great silhouette. I'm sure there is something akin to that in the other programs.
I was actually trying to avoid that, I wasn't sure how to transition the silhouetted sprite to the main one.

Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My specific usage was a bit more complicated and slightly different from what you're asking, but I'll do even better and give you the exact plugin commands for what you want.

Once you have the Pixi Filters plugin installed you'll use Plugin Commands to create and adjust the filter targeting the sprite:

◆Plugin Command:createFilter adjust#1 adjustment 40xx x // creates the filter, replace "xx" with the id of the event; so if you're targeting event 02, the last two parameters should read "4002 2"

◆Plugin Command:setFilter adjust#1 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0.9 // sets the initial filter values: gamma, brightness, red, green, and blue to zero and alpha to 0.9

◆Plugin Command:moveFilter adjust#1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 120 // adjusts the filter parameters back to default coloration over 120 frames, effectively causing the sprite to fade in

◆Plugin Command:eraseFilter adjust#1 // erases the filter, use after a wait command or at the end of the event.

I believe that will do what you're asking for, but you'll definitely want to dig into the instructions on the Pixi Filter page I linked so you can figure out what the settings mean and adjust it to your own needs. It's not as complicated as it seems and you can pull off a lot of cool effects with pixi filters.

Good luck!

gothicvoid

[GothicVoid]
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was actually trying to avoid that, I wasn't sure how to transition the silhouetted sprite to the main one.
You can change sprite sheets with movement route... Eventing... Or if its art just... Show pictures... Not really all that hard.. but without context it's hard to explain

asatiir

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I ended up with gothicvoid's solution, by the time I got to it I was too tired to work on it more than it needed time. It's a prototype after all.

Thank you all for your help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Time flies by... already 1/6th of the calendar released :o
Realizing that 2020 is the only year since 2015 that I haven't made a RM game. Maybe I should do a tiny one to keep the streak?
grief... lol... I keep seeing request for MZ versions of MV plugins. this is why I haven't moved over and just MZ for my MV project.
Egg-sitting minigame is coming along nicely. Are you a bad enough dino to keep all these raptor eggs warm?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigajaba