Help understanding character set layout

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Tonester, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Tonester

Tonester Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi all

Very new to RPG Maker. Just puchased the MV version on Steam and thought I would get to making an RPG based around friends we know. For this I want to create my own sprites based on our clothing style as there appears to be nothing similar in MV or here on the forum (I must admit there are a lot of talented people here).

I am not an artist so I am using a character set in the prog as a template and working pixel by pixel (gonna take some time but it will be worth it). I understand that some sprites are for walking, some are for battle but others I do not know and seeing the sprites close up, it looks like some just change about 4 or 5 pixels.

Can some kind soul run through the different use of sprites on a character set?

Many thanks

2. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

This thread should help some. https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/sprite-sheet-formats-and.63612/

As for the battlers, I would just spend some time examining the battler sheet. There is a thread with templates I believe in MV Resources.

Can you post a screenshot of the ones that you say “I just don’t know”, because other than some downed sprites (where they appear to be lying in the ground), I’m not sure what you might be talking about.

3. Tonester

Tonester Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have drawn around what I think are groups of 9 sprites. Don't know if that is correct? What do these groups do in gameplay? The walking one to the left is obvious with the facing and footsteps for animating sprites but it's the other 54 sprites that I am unsure of.

char set ringed.png

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, that's not quite right.

On the left you have the face, the walking sprites (4 rows, 3 columns), and the 'down' sprites. Those are all used on the map (and the face in message boxes and menus).

The ones you've highlighted are the battle animations, and each group is just one row of 3 sprites. They are used for the different types of weapons, different battle poses (guarding, waiting, knocked out).

Did you check the help file? I'm pretty sure the individual groups are listed there.

5. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Tonester and Shaz like this.
  6. Tonester

Tonester Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    mlogan, that last link is perfect, thank you.