Runnyyy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello again! I'm making this post to request how I would go about using a specific spritesheet with several frames for an event
(specifically, for this sprite: LINK )

I understand how to use simple animated sprites such as walking sprites and door opening sprites, but since
this spritesheet has more than 4 frames, I'm not sure how to make it animate in full?

What I'm asking is: How do I make the Mimic animation play out when in game? My goal is to have the Player
interact with a fixed/static image, then, for the animation to play out in full before starting a battle.

I've already tried using it with a 'stepping' and 'walking' animation in a common event, however this doesn't work.

I'm using the latest version of RPG Maker MV (steam vers.)!

Ebanyle

what
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You need to use a plugin that allows single cell selection.
Galv's Move Route Extras has this feature:
JavaScript:
 * this.set_frame("name",index,pattern,direction)   // set graphic to a frame
 * // "name"    - is the characterset file name
 * // index     - the number of the character in the characterset (1-8)
 * // pattern   - the stepping frame (1-3)
 * // direction - the direction the event is facing (2,4,6,8)

Runnyyy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
JavaScript:

Ah, ok! I'll check this out, thank you! :>

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
additionally keep in mind that the resource given is really two regular sprites for different purposes, and the gif-animation is an example created outside the engine.

so you can use the plugin above where needed to override the regular animation pattern, but you can also make it manually animate in the same way a door event is animated.

Runnyyy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
additionally keep in mind that the resource given is really two regular sprites for different purposes, and the gif-animation is an example created outside the engine.

so you can use the plugin above where needed to override the regular animation pattern, but you can also make it manually animate in the same way a door event is animated.

Do you know how I would go about manually animating it though? I've tried a bit by referencing the gates/door animations and even looked through this particular example: LINK but I keep ending up with the sprite file being grouped like so (instead of individual sprites):
rpgscreen.png

So i'm not sure if I'm meant to create two different spritesheets to animate or maybe something else? I'm probably making this more complicated than it needs to be haha;;

glaphen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you know how I would go about manually animating it though? I've tried a bit by referencing the gates/door animations and even looked through this particular example: LINK but I keep ending up with the sprite file being grouped like so (instead of individual sprites):
rpgscreen.png

So i'm not sure if I'm meant to create two different spritesheets to animate or maybe something else? I'm probably making this more complicated than it needs to be haha;;

Remove the $ from the file name, it turns it into a single character sheet, that is 2 parts of 8 character sheets.

Runnyyy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Remove the $ from the file name, it turns it into a single character sheet, that is 2 parts of 8 character sheets.

ah i tried that but when using the stepping/walking animation, the full animation doesn't play out/it doesnt use all sprites

glaphen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ah i tried that but when using the stepping/walking animation, the full animation doesn't play out/it doesnt use all sprites

To play it you need to make a movement route with one of the index plugins manually. As said here
JavaScript:

You would need to play it with that code or whatever other plugin that lets you do that, In Galvs case I'm pretty sure it would be something like calling this in movement route script call when you activate the event.
this.set_frame("!Mimic",1,1,2)
wait a few frames
this.set_frame("!Mimic",1,1,4)
wait a few frames
this.set_frame("!Mimic",1,1,6)
wait a few frames
this.set_frame("!Mimic",1,1,8)
wait a few frames
this.set_frame("!Mimic",1,2,2) and continue until end of sheet top to bottom, left to right for that. Might be wrong about second number I think 1 is left 2 is middle 3 is right.

Oh and to play the stepping part at end you probably would be better off copying the last 3 frames and putting them side by side in a new part of that sheet and turning on stepping once at the end.

Last edited:

Runnyyy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To play it you need to make a movement route with one of the index plugins manually. As said here

You would need to play it with that code or whatever other plugin that lets you do that, In Galvs case I'm pretty sure it would be something like calling this in movement route script call when you activate the event.
this.set_frame("!Mimic",1,1,2)
wait a few frames
this.set_frame("!Mimic",1,1,4)
wait a few frames
this.set_frame("!Mimic",1,1,6)
wait a few frames
this.set_frame("!Mimic",1,1,8)
wait a few frames
this.set_frame("!Mimic",1,2,2) and continue until end of sheet top to bottom, left to right for that. Might be wrong about second number I think 1 is left 2 is middle 3 is right.

Oh and to play the stepping part at end you probably would be better off copying the last 3 frames and putting them side by side in a new part of that sheet and turning on stepping once at the end.

Ohh I misunderstood what you meant by 'manually' hahaa, I actually just got done doing exactly what you've listed here! :> I believe I've got it figured out, thank you!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I wanna get back into showing off Battlers and other assets I create again. But i'm always haunted by the "It's not good/realistic enough" voices that keep me from doing so.

Maybe I should get back to it, I did enjoy showing off whatever I came up with!
Big Google Warning Today for chrome users - apparently some kind of security threat has happened and everyone is being advised to update their Chrome browser ASAP by going to settings and/or "About Google Chrome", to update their browser version to a new one just released.
Firefox pointed me to a little inspiration: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/writers-maps

So, I shared. :D
To be released 2021/10/21

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlosmusashi