FREE [HELP WANTED - All Positions] Chronicles of Orbis: Within These Walls

Discussion in 'Project Recruitment' started by cthulhu135, Jul 31, 2018.

1. cthulhu135

cthulhu135 Child of Orbis Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    Made With RPG Maker MV

SYNOPSIS
    "Chronicles of Orbis: Within These Walls" (Referred to from this point as "Within These Walls" or "WTW") is a small story-driven fantasy RPG that serves as a prologue/side game for the upcoming title "Orbis" (mentioned purely for disclosure, accepting a role on this game DOES NOT obligate you to work on "Orbis"). In this game, players take on the role of a young man who is trapped in the besieged Imperial City and must escape in order to accomplish an urgent mission, while unwittingly getting involved in events that will shape history...
    Some Important Features Include:

A Living City: Explore a small but detailed medieval city in which nearly every NPC is a unique character with his or her own personality, schedule, and questline! The story takes place over the course of several days, so the player will be able to experience the city at different times of day, and the weather, available events, and even certain parts of the game world will change as the story progresses.​

Choices Have Consequences: Making certain decisions in conversation will affect how others think of you, leading to potential rewards or punishments. They may even alter the course of key story events...​

Footnotes: By progressing through the story and accomplishing certain tasks, the player can unlock "footnotes", optional scenes that flesh out the backstory of certain events and characters, as well as provide an alternate take on already experienced scenes.​

Customize Your Living Space: Players will be able to purchase or earn homes and decorate them with items that are either bought from stores or earned via quests and conversations.​

SETTING AND CHARACTERS
    [​IMG]
    (WIP)
    "Within These Walls" takes place in the capital city of the Empire of Jung-Kand. Consisting of nine districts, this is the largest city in all of Orbis and serves as a major center of trade as a result. Due to a sudden attack from the neighboring kingdom of Esterle, the Imperial City is under lockdown in preparation for an inevitable siege.
    The Main Cast

Carim Al-Jinanin
    [​IMG]
    (WIP)
    The main protagonist. A young man from the reclusive nation of Sowe, he is on his way home from a secret mission of extreme importance when he finds himself locked in the Imperial City while buying provisions. Quiet and somewhat naive of the ways of the world, but also resourceful.

Shinji
    [​IMG]
    (WIP)
    Map-maker. City guide. Thief. All-around good guy, all things considered. He's the textbook definition of "Dashing rogue". He has his own reasons for helping Carim escape the city, but is also just happy to help out another lost soul. Even if his plans tend to be somewhat hare-brained...

Other Characters

Charlie and Charlie
    [​IMG]
    (WIP)
    The husband-and-wife duo who run the Double Charlie Inn and Tavern, these two are some of Carim's first friends in the city. Charlotte, a bubbly but determined immigrant from Esterle, runs the inn, while Chao, a carefree gentle giant born and raised in the Imperial City, runs the tavern.

Malik
    [​IMG]
    (WIP)
    The "Bandit King of the West Canals". Despite his intimidating title, he cares deeply for the people of the City and only turned to crime out of necessity, much like many others residing in the West Canal District. Originally a nobleman from Sowe, his natural leadership and sense of "other" enthralled the downtrodden denizens of the slums, who gladly live under him, assured that their leader will eventually bring equality to the city...

???
    [​IMG]
    (WIP)
    A mysterious and dangerously skilled woman. She occasionally appears to warn Carim and Shinji that they are unwittingly meddling in affairs far greater than they know...

MY ROLE
    I will be the lead writer, mapper, and eventer. I've been told good things about my creative writing, and I'm fairly well-versed in how the engine works. Of course, there's a lot I'm terrible at, and I certainly don't consider myself the best at the things I am good at, so...

POSITIONS NEEDED
    Positions Available/Needed (1/3?)
    So, good writing is key for this project, especially considering my admittedly ambitious goal of potentially dozens of unique NPCs and decisions that matter. Certainly too much for me alone to handle with my decent-but-not-amazing ability. So, I'll split this into three positions:

Scenario Writer (I think that's the right term): Someone who can help me refine and fill in holes in the main plot, come up with side-quests, establish character personalities, etc. I'm pretty good at doing this, but help would still be appreciated!
    Positions Available/Needed (1/1)

Dialogue Writer: Someone to help write character dialogue. Obviously this'll be one of the more challenging roles, considering the potential sheer volume of dialogue, but this is what I'm least confident in myself in, so this is pretty necessary.
    Positions Available/Needed (0/1)

Miscellaneous Writer: Someone to write in-game texts, item descriptions, stuff like that. This is what I'm most confident in, so I'll be fine if no one takes this position, but help is always appreciated.
    Positions Available/Needed (0/1?)

Positions Available/Needed (0/4+)
    And here's the first thing I'm absolutely awful at. I literally couldn't make competent art to save my life. Probably goes without saying, but please be willing and able to work with your fellow artists to make sure the artstyles don't clash too much. I'm dividing this into four roles:

Tile Artist: Someone to make tileset art. Now, I'm admittedly not as bothered by the RTP tileset as other people seemingly are, so while someone who can make an entire tileset with their own unique artstyle would be ideal, someone who could make a few needed tiles that closely resemble RTP would also be good.

Sprite Artist: Someone who can make sprites for characters, items, etc. I'm currently going for one-tile-high character sprites, but if you prefer making taller sprites I'd be willing to accommodate that.

Character Artist: Someone to draw character portraits, as well as help me come up with and refine character designs. I'd like someone who can draw the characters with a variety of emotions so we can spice up text boxes a bit :)

Miscellaneous Artist:
    Someone who can do in-game art (paintings, maps, etc.), "cutscene images" (art that can be shown at dramatic/important moments), the title screen, etc. I do realize this is a heck of a lot to ask, so I'm opening this one up to multiple people.
    Positions Available/Needed (0/1+)

Gameplay Designer
    Positions Available/Needed (1/1+)
    So, here's the thing: I've got most of this project at least fairly thought-out. I know the plot, the tone, the kind of music, etc. What I don't have is the gameplay. Not the features I mentioned earlier, those are fine; I mean the basic gameplay outside of walking around and interacting with people and things. Like, I know that due to several important plot events, there has to be combat. But what kind? Where and when should I put it outside of those events? And that's not even touching the stats, which admittedly mystify me. So, this position is for someone who can come up with various gameplay mechanics and implement them, as well as maybe showing me the ropes so I'm not completely baffled by that part of the game dev process. The more the merrier on this role, for obvious reasons :LZSbleh:

Music Composer
    Positions Available/Needed (1/1+)
    Once again, this is something I definitely wouldn't be able to do on my own. I mainly want the soundtrack to have an eastern influence since the Empire is mostly inspired by Japan and China, but I also would like some variants for certain areas (eg. some Mediterranean influence for the Venetian-inspired East Canal District or something akin to church music for the Temple District). One composer would be good, but multiple may lighten the workload and provide a wider range of musical styles.

Mapper
    Someone that can make the playable areas in the game, As mentioned earlier, I should be able to handle this by myself, but I also realize I'm likely decent at best at it, so any offers to help would still be greatly appreciated :LZSproud:

Eventer
    Positions Available/Needed (0/2?)
    Someone to help make the events. The blurb for the mapper position is pretty much what I want to say for this position as well, with the addition of adding a potential second position due to the volume of fairly complex events.

Scripter
    I'm perfectly content with using pre-existing scripts/plugins and giving the proper credit, but having someone on hand that could find/make them would be pretty helpful :LZSsmile:

Testers
    Positions Available/Needed (0/3+)
    Testers won't really be needed until later down the line, but having some available certainly won't hurt.

"Creative Consultant"
    Admittedly, this one's pretty much an honorary position for the first person to take genuine interest in my ideas and motivate me to actually do something with them. I can't really say how much she'll actually do on the project as she's fairly busy and doesn't really have that many skills that would be useful to game development, but for now her job description is more or less "lets me ramble at her so I can put my thoughts together easier". I guess I'll put this here in case she sees this: I know I've said it a billion times already, but thank you so much for everything, A. :kaoluv:

A few final things before I finish this section:
    1. The number of people per position isn't set in stone. There can be multiple sprite artists, one person can be both a scenario writer and a composer, etc. My point is that I'll appreciate whatever you guys can bring to the table :LZSproud:
    2. On a similar note, I realize that I'm asking for a huge amount of time and effort from everyone, so once again anything you guys contribute will mean so much!
    3. As stated at the start of this post, this game is a prologue to another, larger game. Please don't feel obligated to work on both! If you want to make this a more permanent thing that's great, but if you just want this one game under your belt that's also great.

APPLYING FOR THE ROLE
    ...I'm admittedly making this sound more serious than it is. If you want to join the team, just put some small sample of your work labelled with your username here:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xOufT1nNm9r3ImpzDh9_xz0ffqei-GBb?usp=sharing
    If you've read the last bit in the previous section, then you'll know that I'll most likely bring you aboard regardless of what you submit, but it'll be nice to see anyway :LZSgrin:

COMMUNICATION

Upon joining the team, you'll be given a link to our Discord server, where we can share progress updates, show off new assets, and just hang out (unless we find a better place to meet at some point).
    A quick note on this is that due to a somewhat unpredictable IRL work schedule, I may not be immediately available at all times. But don't worry, I'll get in touch as soon as I can!

...And I think that's it. Thank you all so much for your time, and I hope to work with you soon!

*EDIT* ...Probably should have had this in from the start, but if you have any questions about any aspect of the project, feel free to ask!

SCREENSHOTS
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    XdnaX and atoms like this.
  2. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I must say I really like the idea and setting of this game!
    Unfortunatly the two things I feel most confident in are comming up with ideas and building back stories for nations, cities, characters, etc. and you seem to have those pretty well covered... so all I can do is wish you luck on your project :D

cthulhu135 likes this.
  3. cthulhu135

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm flattered, but you give me too much credit; While I have put a heck of a lot of thought into worldbuilding, there's certainly aspects I haven't given much thought to yet and others I'm a bit stumped on. On top of that, some of my ideas are admittedly rather out there. So, I'd actually really appreciate a second head to come up with new ideas and reign in some of my weirder ones.

The drawback to that is, due to the nature of this game being a prequel/prologue, working on the backstory of this one would also kind of mean working on that larger game I mentioned, as well. Like I mentioned in the main post, that'd probably be a problem if you just wanted a smallish project to work on. Of course, if that doesn't turn you away, I'd love to have you aboard! :cutesmile:

*EDIT* Also worth noting that you wouldn't even need to show me a sample of your work; I saw your recent post on the "Ideas That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread" thread, and the creation story for your project hits the sweet spot of unique and sensible that I'm looking for :D

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  4. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanx for the compliment :cutesmile:
    I've pm'd you

5. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    One question that popped into my head just now as I re-read your character bio's ;
    Is Carim your run of the mill true hero type or more the well-I'm-no-hero-but-everyone-says-I-am type?

and are Carim and Malik related to each other?

cthulhu135 likes this.
  6. cthulhu135

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd say neither, actually. Since, Carim's mission is of utmost importance (I'll leave it at that to avoid spoilers), he's rather single-minded in his efforts to get that mission done as fast as possible, hence why he's so intent on getting out of the Imperial City before the lockdown is lifted. If anything, he almost comes off as sociopathic at first in regards to how he treats the people he meets (though a good bit of that will depend on player choice). A good chunk of Carim's character development will be him growing close to the citizens of the city (or perhaps not; again, player choice, though I'm now realizing I'll have to think about how to implement it in a way where events that aren't in the player's control don't seem out of character...).
    No, though Carim's father did consider Malik a close friend and confidant before he left (in case you're wondering, he left of his own volition. Sowe is a very reclusive nation, and Malik wanted to experience the outside world. Unfortunately, leaving Sowe (unless on an important mission like Carim) means that he can never return; so he's effectively on a self-imposed exile).

7. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Maybe by having it so that growing closer doesn't necessarily mean 'more friendly' so negative actions lead to more of a rivalry relation opposed to friendship? (It's what I'm using to tackle the same kind off issue).
    Oh and I'd say Carim falls in the well-I'm-no-hero-but-everyone-says-I-am type eventually (even if he can become a total non-likable character) not in personality but in write style :cutesmile:

Might I then suggest changing the hue (or entire color) of Malik's eyes. With the graphics as is (though I realize you'll change them) and the info in the bio's it's an easily drawn (faulty) conclusion you might not necessarily want players to make :)

cthulhu135 likes this.
  8. cthulhu135

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's kind of what I have in mind for Carim and Shinji's relationship. Effectively, Shinji's going to be somewhat like a Fallout Companion: certain things the player does will either make Shinji happy or upset, leading to either their friendship growing over the course of the story to the point that they become like brothers, them becoming increasingly more cold and distrustful of each other until they finally erupt at each other (perhaps leading to them settling their differences), or retaining a balance of being friendly but not close with each other. For more minor characters I'm not sure, as even talking to them is optional most of the time. I might do this with some of them where their personalities fit that kind of mechanic, but a lot of their stories might just depend on whether or not you spend time with them.
    I won't say anything else for now, but that's kind of where I'm going with him as a character. Lets just say he won't end this game a particularly happy guy...

Yeah, that was meant to be more of a characteristic of their race (dark skin/bright blue eyes), but I see what you mean. I might experiment with different hues (eg. one of them has very deep blue eyes while the other retains the icy shade the current designs have).

Finnuval likes this.
  9. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I see what you mean though in my own project I use this system in varying degrees where your actions for instance simply have an influence of the prices in a shop for instance. The more you are liked the cheaper and friendlier they are... that kind of thing. Of course that doesn't work in every game :)

I think we like the same type of character :D

Of course when changing the graphics this might become redundant but it was something that struck me, of course that's a;so due to the limited info I have and when playing the game this might not be the case at all :)

10. cthulhu135

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A bit of a tangent, but it's interesting that you use that particular example. The second screenshot is the tail end of me somewhat turning the "do good thing for shopkeep, get discount" concept on its head. So, during the opening bit of the game the player goes to this shop to get supplies (this is, like, minutes before the city is locked down). You go talk to the owner, he rambles on about various topics for a bit, and then he stops himself and offers you a hefty discount as apology/thanks for listening to him talk. Carim goes to take it, but notices that the shopkeep is practically starving, and makes the deduction that he gives this discount to pretty much everyone who walks into the store and lets him talk, and just barely makes enough money to sustain himself as a result. Hence the choice: do you play into the trope and take the discount despite what you know, do you refuse the discount and go about your way, or do you turn around and put yourself at a potential disadvantage so that this stranger can have a higher quality of life? Pretty heavy-handed admittedly, but a decent example of both my writing philosophy and the kinds of choices the player'll make.

*EDIT* While writing that, I kind of forgot to mention that the basic concept you're talking about was pretty much what I had in mind, as well :p

Finnuval likes this.
  11. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ...and with that I can safely conclude we think the same way :D

In my project there is a moment where after you have defeated a certain opponent you have the option of killing him, sparing him or maybe even recruiting him (which will have its own negatives)... much later you will meet his wife/widow and will be faced with the consequence of your action.

Another situation is when you are able to take money from a hidden treasure stash that turns out to be a child's

cthulhu135 likes this.
  12. cthulhu135

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, these definitely sound like decisions I would use :D

I guess while we're on the subject, I'll bring up for anyone reading this a couple of my other philosophies when it comes to player choice.

The major one is that I'm not a fan of "GOOD CHOICE" and "EVIL CHOICE" (though it does serve a good purpose if done correctly). I prefer choices that can have varied tactical and moral positives and negatives, some examples being doing a morally questionable act that will benefit the many in the long run or doing something seemingly nice for someone that ends up screwing them over later.

The minor thing is that I like to occasionally give the player the opportunity to change their mind; using one of the above-quoted examples for instance, being able to give the child their stolen money back.

Finnuval likes this.
  13. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ...do we have the same brain or is it just me? lol

cthulhu135 likes this.
  14. pamoire

pamoire Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    This sounds really interesting! I like characters that have an air of secrecy to them and need to stay inconspicuous. I applied with a few samples of my work, I don't have a lot of experience with game art but I'd love to help out!

15. cthulhu135

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, I love the artstyle! Each character looks very distinct, the shadows look very nice, and that nice variety of emotions was exactly what I'm looking for :) (Can you tell I don't have much experience talking about art yet? lol). This might be a weird question, but do you have any examples of male characters in this artstyle lying around? Just want to see a good range of designs :cutesmile: (especially since the two protags are guys lol).

16. pamoire

pamoire Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    I'm sorry I don't have much samples of men and especially facesets but here are some in different styles
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

cthulhu135 likes this.
  17. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Those are really good!

pamoire likes this.
  18. cthulhu135

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sorry for the late reply, work :dizzy:

Those look fantastic! Again, the shading looks great, and style is very nice. Consider yourself part of the team :cutesmile:
    I'll send you a PM with the link to the Discord server as soon as I can, though I may wait until we get other people aboard.

pamoire likes this.
  19. Echo_2112

Echo_2112 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yo.

Talked to Cthulhu over PM and I’ll be joining as a writer and will do what I can to also help with the gameplay design as well

cthulhu135 likes this.
  20. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I heard :D Welcome aboard and let's make magic together :cutesmile: