Hellpug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Engililish
Primarily Uses
Hi all!

So I'm trying to make a puzzle for game jam game that's based off the D&D Countdown Puzzle

I'm stuck at basically the last part and then it should be fine from there. Basically, I can't get it to do the events during the countdown AND reset at the same time. I've searched other threads and vids which got me this far but now I am stumped.
I can either get the events during the countdown to go off but not the reset or get the rest to work but not the events.

References I used to get this far: Issues with Timers , Making Countdown Timers , Super Simple Puzzles

This is my Countdown timer event set up. The event EV012/the gray stone is my countdown timer and controls the events. Basically I am trying to get threats to appear on the map as the count goes down. The events are the "clear" squares which switch to bats during the countdown. I initially tried different ways of getting the one event to reset itself which didn't work. I tried creating an event that would just reset the Countdown but it will not do anything during the countdown. I've tried switching around above and below characters.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
1634541001090.png
1634541061842.png
1634541099266.png
1634541151645.png

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the best way personally to control timers (if visible) is to use a variable.
a variable timer that is the same as total of the timer you have.

in the event in parallel process you have around this.

variable x -=1 (remove 1 variable from timer)
if variable x <= 720 (timer 12 seconds)
show text/image of 12 seconds left
else
if variable x < 360 (6 seconds)
show text/image of 6 seconds
else
maybe more?
end
end
end

in the other event next to it in parallel

if timer = 00.00.00 or lower
variable x = 0
switch stop of the timer if used
end
you want to stop the entire timer and reset the player if failed,
able to reset it.
you might require to use a selfswitch for the other event to be off
in this event as well, you can search how to do it.

variable number is a example, so for 20 seconds, use 20x60 = 1200.
use this variable also in your puzzle where the timer start otherwise,
it stops the timer as well :)

I use this example half from my side game which is timer based.
but I hope you understand how to set up the timer to make it work
better in your case which is also more controlled.

Hellpug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Engililish
Primarily Uses
@ShadowDragon So I am trying to understand I'll screenshot what I have. Do I need both the timer and the variable? Or are you saying I would just make a timer purely with variables?

1634616429575.png 1634616506404.png

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

"Yeah. It's been a rough road lately. But that's the thing about the Rangers. It doesn't matter how hard it gets, or how many of them fall. They never stop fighting. The Rangers NEVER stop fighting".

Angela Deth, you are a hero of mine. Sorry for my first run of Wasteland 3.
We must press on. For all those we couldn't save. For all those we might yet save.
FirestormNeos wrote on DarkPlasmaBall's profile.
asking this here instead of the thread in question to avoid derailing it, but I'm curious; is there a particular reason you'd include a "Terms of Use" for an RPG Maker game? Like, are there multiplayer features for the game you're working on?
The holidays are upon us! Everyone search for safety from the grocery store music!
I don't understand people sometime. Walking to work today came across someone walking the opposite way in a nice suit, I politely move to the side into the shrubbery so he doesn't have to get his suit dirty and say "good morning" as he passes me, he turns around glaring daggers and asks "why are you talking to me?" like he's bloody offended by me wishing him a good morning or something. Just, why?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnderMon