Help with a puzzle.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Backwardskey, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Backwardskey

Backwardskey Phones Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm currently trying to piece together a gate-swapping puzzle. The initial objective is to get across the room (which I don't anticipate being very difficult) but the chests seen in this picture can be optionally obtained and are actually more tricky to reach than simply crossing the room.

I plan to connect these platforms with bridges, and block off access to the bridges with the little wormholes you see below that serve to hinder your progress. Interacting with the crystal toggles its color between red and blue and deactivates wormholes of the respective color while re-activating wormholes of the opposing color. I've found several working layouts for this, but none that I was completely satisfied with. If anybody can think of a way I should place the bridges (or even adjust the platforms, if necessary) I'd appreciate you sharing it with me.

Edit: If more than one crystal is needed, I don't mind at all.

Sauce:
    upload_2018-9-16_18-34-31.png

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Do you have a specific order in mind for the platforms to be traversed? As it is, it's too abstract to even get an idea of how to do it effectively.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    'Game Mechanics Design' is for looking at aspects of game play at a more conceptual level - in this instance it might be "what sort of restrictions make for a good puzzle of type X without those restrictions becoming merely frustrating?" "How do I...?" (implementation) questions go in the Support forum of the engine you are using.

I've moved this thread to RPGMaker MV. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

I think it would help if you indicate where your entrance and exit(s) are, as at the moment we don't even know which of those events on the map edges is the starting point.

4. Backwardskey

Backwardskey Phones Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The platforms don't have to be traversed in any particular order. As for the entrance/exit, you come in right where the crystal is near the bottom left, and proceed towards the right uppermost 3*3 platform with a chest in the middle.