Help with advanced eventing fusing actors and checking skills?

rpgmakerxp

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I saw a video related to this here:
but so much I still am trying to understand. The video seems to focus only on specific party members.

For example, if you have a "separate benched" party of say 20 characters outside your usual 3 or 4 party members and want to fuse one of them with a current party member?

How do you check for a specific party member being fused with that one? Guessing variables are involved.

Another thing not covered on the video.

Skills. for example:

If party member 1 only learns skills 1, 2, and 3, but is only level 7 and so only knows skills 1, and 2 and is fused with party member 15 who knows skills 20,21, and 22. They create actor 35 who naturally learns skills 27, 30, and 34 BUT, because they were fused from party member 1 and 15 they can learn the skills they both knew by level up and naturally learn all of them by level up EVEN IF party member 1 didn't learn skill 3 due to being too low level.

I guess my main question is how to check for all of these combinations and ifs. I thought about it and it seemed like a complicated mess of conditional branches combined with variables checking for every possible combination of specific skills and actor ids via fusion, etc. and am wondering if there's some easy way to resolve all of it. I know there is a way somehow.

I am not familiar with JavaScript if that matters.

I am not sure if this is the best forum to post this either. There was a link to a "javascript request board" but it didn't' work.
^--

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't watched the video completely, but I don't think I need to watch it to understand where you went wrong.

There is no "real" fusion of the data. In almost all cases of such the event system is faking the fusion by using a new actor that often is pre-fused and sometimes modified for specific fusions, but always from a limited group exactly because anything else would be a mess of conditional branches.

and no, javascript is not a miracle that makes those conditional branches go away - the only advantage of javascript would be that it can handle more complex rules than evented conditional branches.

If you want a true fusion, you would have to put up all those rules you're asking about up front with all possible interactions, before you can even start to implement the fusion - no matter if evented or by javascript.
and in one of the few parts of the video I watched it even warned you that the complexity will go up a lot if you have too many options, exactly because this is not for general use but for a few selected gimmicks.

rpgmakerxp

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't watched the video completely, but I don't think I need to watch it to understand where you went wrong.

There is no "real" fusion of the data. In almost all cases of such the event system is faking the fusion by using a new actor that often is pre-fused and sometimes modified for specific fusions, but always from a limited group exactly because anything else would be a mess of conditional branches.

and no, javascript is not a miracle that makes those conditional branches go away - the only advantage of javascript would be that it can handle more complex rules than evented conditional branches.

If you want a true fusion, you would have to put up all those rules you're asking about up front with all possible interactions, before you can even start to implement the fusion - no matter if evented or by javascript.
and in one of the few parts of the video I watched it even warned you that the complexity will go up a lot if you have too many options, exactly because this is not for general use but for a few selected gimmicks.
It sounds like for what I want it's best to use javascript due to the many "rules", but knowing none what are my options?
Is there a new forum where I can make a request?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For example, if you have a "separate benched" party of say 20 characters outside your usual 3 or 4 party members and want to fuse one of them with a current party member?

How do you check for a specific party member being fused with that one? Guessing variables are involved.
I don't see why - you would do the exact same thing. Unless you've modified your game with plugins, any actors you have in your party are in your party and can be selected/referred to with the regular event commands.

The only difference is whether a given person is within the first 4 listed party members and so shows up on the map/in battle.
If party member 1 only learns skills 1, 2, and 3, but is only level 7 and so only knows skills 1, and 2 and is fused with party member 15 who knows skills 20,21, and 22. They create actor 35
Why are you using a third actor? Per the tutorial, it makes the most sense to use one of the two existing actors and simply modify them. You can use a third one, but it's inefficient.

I'm presuming from this that you're emulating Pokémon and are able to capture other copies of the original actors again.
who naturally learns skills 27, 30, and 34 BUT, because they were fused from party member 1 and 15 they can learn the skills they both knew by level up and naturally learn all of them by level up EVEN IF party member 1 didn't learn skill 3 due to being too low level.
I feel like you're making things overcomplicated in your brain for some reason. Why wouldn't you just make actor 35 have the same learned skills at the same levels as actors 1 and 15? Plus whatever they learn uniquely.

I guess my main question is how to check for all of these combinations and ifs. I thought about it and it seemed like a complicated mess of conditional branches combined with variables checking for every possible combination of specific skills and actor ids via fusion, etc.
I don't see why you would need a complicated mess.

Code:
Conditional - Is first selected actor 1?
- Yes
-- Is second selected actor 15?
--- Replace them with actor 35
-- else Is second selected actor 12?
--- Replace them with actor 32
-- etc.
- else Is first selected actor 2?
-- Is second selected... etc.

Is there a new forum where I can make a request?
I really don't see why you would need JavaScript/a plugin for this, but if you click on the word Forums at the top of the page, it takes you to the full list. There's one labeled Plugin Requests.

rpgmakerxp

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't see why - you would do the exact same thing. Unless you've modified your game with plugins, any actors you have in your party are in your party and can be selected/referred to with the regular event commands.

The only difference is whether a given person is within the first 4 listed party members and so shows up on the map/in battle.

Why are you using a third actor? Per the tutorial, it makes the most sense to use one of the two existing actors and simply modify them. You can use a third one, but it's inefficient.

I'm presuming from this that you're emulating Pokémon and are able to capture other copies of the original actors again.

I feel like you're making things overcomplicated in your brain for some reason. Why wouldn't you just make actor 35 have the same learned skills at the same levels as actors 1 and 15? Plus whatever they learn uniquely.

I don't see why you would need a complicated mess.

Code:
Conditional - Is first selected actor 1?
- Yes
-- Is second selected actor 15?
--- Replace them with actor 35
-- else Is second selected actor 12?
--- Replace them with actor 32
-- etc.
- else Is first selected actor 2?
-- Is second selected... etc.

I really don't see why you would need JavaScript/a plugin for this, but if you click on the word Forums at the top of the page, it takes you to the full list. There's one labeled Plugin Requests.
Using this plugin for a bigger party. https://twings.itch.io/party-manager-for-rmmv
it sounds like it wouldn't matter though.

Yes you can get copies of the same actors again in this game.

But it seems like a long set of conditional branches than what I'm used to

Example:
Is first selector actor 1?
Y
is second selected actor 15?
replace with actor 35
Else; is second selected actor 2?
replace with actor 36.
else; is second selected actor 3?
replace with actor 37.
else: etc, etc,

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's pretty much the example I typed, isn't it? There's nothing in there that would be greatly simplified by doing it in JavaScript instead of event code.

I don't know how many of these combinations you're looking to do, but basically it should only take you a few minutes to do that, and it doesn't seem like it would be worth you to hire someone to do it as a plugin.

Unless you have so many combinations that you actually run out of room inside the event.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Only 3 more days to get your copy of Move That Box! with -15% discount!
1660090657213.png
Mistakes will be made.
After three years, it was awesome to be back at Gen Con!
Words of Wisdom: You can be honest and alone. Or dishonest and together.
Working on mapping using RPGTools to create parallax maps using PVgames tiles/assets. It's super cool... but mapping is still something I drag my feet on getting done. I hate this but love the math parts of design, which is the opposite of a lot of dev's around, I think. It really do be different strokes for different folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeuzyGamer