Not open for further replies.

WhyIamaPotato

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I searched and found that most people had no problem to change the battle musics by either making a ''Change BGM'' event before the battle or by putting the music event in the boss' troup tab, but it doesn't work for me. Does anyone know what my problem might be?

I also have two musics for fighting regular enemies (One music for weaker enemies and one for stronger ones, like Earthbound for example) and I can't make this work either. At least the battle music set in the System tab works, so that's good news.

Alador

The Mage of Mythix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you have your custom music saved as both an .ogg and .m4a file?

WhyIamaPotato

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you have your custom music saved as both an .ogg and .m4a file?
I only have .ogg files. I thought that the .m4a files where only so Macs could read these files. Do the battles use the two types of files?

Alador

The Mage of Mythix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
aha there's your problem. You need to have both types of music files in order for MV to actually run your sound.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
neither - the m4a files are for mobile deployment, mac and pc both use ogg.
and as long as you are on the pc you can work with ogg only, the m4a are ONLY after deployment.
so contrary to @Alador s post that has nothing to do with your problem.

but we need to see what you have done before we can tell you what you did wrong. I can think of several different possibilities - too many to guess.
so please give us screenshots of how you change the music and start the battle, then we can tell you what you're doing wrong.

WhyIamaPotato

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
neither - the m4a files are for mobile deployment, mac and pc both use ogg.
and as long as you are on the pc you can work with ogg only, the m4a are ONLY after deployment.
so contrary to @Alador s post that has nothing to do with your problem.

but we need to see what you have done before we can tell you what you did wrong. I can think of several different possibilities - too many to guess.
so please give us screenshots of how you change the music and start the battle, then we can tell you what you're doing wrong.

(My game is in english despite the program being in french. I still understand what would be the french version's equivalent of an option in the english version. I'm sorry for all the black squares, I'm not comfortable sharing my game when it's still a wip ahah)

I've tried putting the music before the boss fight, but it didn't work.

21.png

I've also tried doing the same in the boss' enemy troup.

31.png

While having both .ogg and .m4a files for the music.

41.png

I've tried deleting the music in the enemy troup while keeping it in the Automatic event before the scripted fight, but it played the System's battle music. I'm confused as to what I'm doing wrong, could it be linked to the use of a plugin for a bigger screen resolution?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You need to change the battle BGM in a regular event, not in the troop. By the time the troop event is checked, you're already in battle and your battle BGM is already playing. It only gets checked once, right before the battle launches, so your troop event command does nothing (well, it sets the BGM for the NEXT battle, if you don't change it back)

It would have been nice to see your entire event.

Any chance you have a parallel process event that has a Change Battle BGM command in it, to a different track? That would cause your boss event to change the track, and then the parallel event would change it right back.

Or do you have any plugins that affect battle BGM?

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just do it like this and it will work fine

tiWQeTW.png

WhyIamaPotato

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just do it like this and it will work fine

tiWQeTW.png

I thought maybe my problem was for only this battle, so I tried making a different event where I scripted exactly this and it didn't work again. I tried getting rid of the battle music in the System tab, but even with this script on the event, no music was playing instead of playing the boss music. (I tried simply changing the music too, but it didn't make the music before the battle event work either.) I checked the bgm folder in the audio one and I have both .ogg and .m4a files, which played well when I clicked on them.

To answer @Shaz, I didn't add any plugins to the program. The only thing I did to the plugins section is changing the screen resolution in the default ''Community_Basic'' plugin. I didn't use any parallel events on my game yet too, so that can't be the problem. I checked my music list in the BGM section next to the plugins one and I have all my files. I also removed the BGM events in the enemy troops, since you mentionned they wouldn't work. (Which makes sense, thank you for your explanation!) Could something else be blocking the music from starting before the battle?

IMPORTANT EDIT: I tried applying the music to a regular talking with an NPC event and the music worked! The problem seems to be only with special boss battles.

Last edited:

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Aesica 's approach works just fine. That's how I handle ALL of the Battle themes in my game.

So unless you are hiding vital information from us (Be it intentional or unintentional), you most likely fumbled the event commands in some way.

From the screenshots you showed earlier, 2 things need to be adressed:

1. "Play BGM" and "Change Battle BGM" are two completely different things.
One plays BGM on the spot when the command is executed and one changes the BGM for any upcoming battles.

In all of your screenshots you used the "Play BGM" command, which is likely not what you want to use in your scenario. I find it likely that this is the main issue here.
You will want to use "Change Battle BGM", which is found on page 3 of the event commands under "System Settings"

2. The Screenshot of your Troop event cannot work because it has no "Trigger". Things that need to happen before the actual fight begins will most likely be set to "Condition: Turn 0" and "Span: Battle".

Your Troop event was set to "Don't run", which means that it will never execute any commands.

Last edited:

WhyIamaPotato

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Aesica 's approach works just fine. That's how I handle ALL of the Battle themes in my game.

So unless you are hiding vital information from us (Be it intentional or unintentional), you most likely fumbled the event commands in some way.

From the screenshots you showed earlier, 2 things need to be adressed:

1. "Play BGM" and "Change Battle BGM" are two completely different things.
One plays BGM on the spot when the command is executed and one changes the BGM for any upcoming battles.

In all of your screenshots you used the "Play BGM" command, which is likely not what you want to use in your scenario. I find it likely that this is the main issue here.
You will want to use "Change Battle BGM", which is found on page 3 of the event commands under "System Settings"

2. The Screenshot of your Troop event cannot work because it has no "Trigger". Things that need to happen before the actual fight begins will most likely be set to "Condition: Turn 0" and "Span: Battle".

Your Troop event was set to "Don't run", which means that it will never execute any commands.

It worked! My problem was that, like you said, I used ''Play BGM'' rather than ''Change battle BGM''. It's a dumb mistake, but now I know better lol.

(I just noticed that's exactly what @Aesica showed and I'm very sorry for my poor attention to detail. Thank you everyone who answered me so quickly!

Also what I hid was 90% cliche evil enemy dialogue. I really bought the software, if that's what some people thought I hid.)

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also what I hid was 90% cliche evil enemy dialogue. I really bought the software, if that's what some people thought I hid.)
No, mainly people brought it up because it makes things more difficult to troubleshoot.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, sometimes there are other commands that might cancel out a correct command. In this case though, the issue is that your screenshots are showing a different language so nobody picked up that you were using the plain Change BGM command until @ScorchedGround came along.

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just dropped the trailer! Link to download and play is in the description!

Showcasing Plugins that Record Video, and Take Screenshots. :LZScheeze:

Here is the second song of the Eniko: Ghosts Of Grace soundtrack: Jus Ad Bellum (Battle Theme), composed by Nickolas Wolfe! Looking forward to your reactions!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lalulu