Kitten2021

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi everyone!

I was wondering, if you wanted to create a SINGLE chara in a Charaset, then how would you do that? Example being shown below:

Normal Charaset:

blog071026_2.jpg

The only thing I want in a charset:

_lightgreentree_by_kitten2021-d82p8q7.png
All I want though is it to be JUST the single tree selectable, like below:

treecharexample_by_kitten2021-d82p99x.png

Any chances this can actually be achieved or no? As you can see in my example image, I did place the '$' in front of the images to try and see if that would help, but it doesn't look like it is (even placing the '!' didn't work, it just had the same results as just having the '$' in the name). If all else fails, is this something I would have to make into a Charaset with Three across and three below like the original char sets above but with just the tree in it and the '$' in the name?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You have to have the 3 across and 4 down, because that is how the engine interprets all character sets.  However, there may be another way to achieve what you want to do, so the question is - why do you want it in a char set and not just on an ordinary B-E tile sheet?  If you really want just that one image, then you will have to put it on a sheet that is the width of 3 across and 4 down, and then select the actual tree.  This will fool the engine into thinking that it is one image out of an ordinary set.  You would have to check 'Direction Fix', otherwise if your player interacts with it, it will vanish for a moment or 2.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think it better fits into RPG Maker VX Ace actually since s/he's not asking for help with the art but getting the art to work in the program. I'm moving it again, sorry to bounce your post around Kitten2021.

There is a way to do a single character, but no way to only have one cell and call it a character, which is what you're trying to do. The image you linked to as a normal character set has 8 different characters. This is the set up the program expects when you don't put a $ in front. If you put a $ there the program expects to see a single character with 12 cells, 3 across and 4 down. This is why the result looks so similar to you, since it's still trying to break up your image into cells just like it would with a character set. To get that tree to work as a character you'll need to make an image that is 3 times as wide and 4 times as tall as the image you want, then put your image in the top left corner then name it with a !$ in front. The exclamation point doesn't change the way the program divides the cells up, but it does let the program know not to offset it, which you will probably want.

Kitten2021

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you for moving the post, Celianna and Charm, sorry about that..

-why do you want it in a char set and not just on an ordinary B-E tile sheet?
Thank you for your information ksjp17! To answer your question, I am wanting a single char set due to the fact that I am limited to how I can make the tree's look with a tile set; with a Char set I can place the tree's wherever I want and then just modify the On-top of Player/Below Player setting for each tree and have them look the way I'm wanting them to actually look.

EDIT: Oh! And forgot to mention, to get them to properly fit on a tile set, I would need to shrink the size of the tree's which would contrast horribly with my parallax I have created already with those same tree's in the background (these tree 'char sets' are just fillers for in the game itself).

tree_parallax_by_kitten2021-d82phzu.png

To get that tree to work as a character you'll need to make an image that is 3 times as wide and 4 times as tall as the image you want, then put your image in the top left corner then name it with a !$ in front. The exclamation point doesn't change the way the program divides the cells up, but it does let the program know not to offset it, which you will probably want.
Thank you for your information Sharm! I will try this out and then come back to report or mark the thread as solved.

Thank you everyone for the help on this matter... ^.^

Kitten2021

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, so I played with the charset options, and this was what I got... It's ALMOST there, but for whatever reason, it just won't let me make it that size. Did I do something wrong? Maybe RPG Maker just can't go that large?

treecharsetnearly_by_kitten2021-d82pktd.png

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
There should be a total of 12 trees in your graphic file.

So, the dimensions would be (tree graphic width) x 3 by (tree graphic height) x 4. Or, using your sample image (110) x 3 by (182) x 4 = 330 by 728 pixels. :)

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the dimensions have to be divisible by 8 also, don't they?

Or that may just be for a full character sheet (8 characters).

Kitten2021

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That's for full character sheets.

A single character that uses $ in the name only requires the 3x4 format. :)
Wow... now I feel like a newbie. LOL!

Um.. fixed now:

capture_by_kitten2021-d82pspg.png

Thank you EVERYONE for your help on this! I have provided the Char Set for these tree's, feel free to change them as you please (ignore the bottom char set, I just copy+pasted the top set to the bottom to get it to work, if you change them to something else, please let me know - I'd LOVE to see them.) :cutesmile:

!$TreeCharSet.png

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I wanna get back into showing off Battlers and other assets I create again. But i'm always haunted by the "It's not good/realistic enough" voices that keep me from doing so.

Maybe I should get back to it, I did enjoy showing off whatever I came up with!
Big Google Warning Today for chrome users - apparently some kind of security threat has happened and everyone is being advised to update their Chrome browser ASAP by going to settings and/or "About Google Chrome", to update their browser version to a new one just released.
Firefox pointed me to a little inspiration: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/writers-maps

So, I shared. :D
To be released 2021/10/21

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlosmusashi