Help with developing Job Classes

AntagonizedSun

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Currently working on a project and I decided having nine characters based on the two holy trinities (Tank, Healer, and DPS) and (Fighter, Mage, Thief)

1. Fighter + DPS = Weapon Dancer. Probably typic this class is fast, and able to attack three times. Attack and Agility stats will be on the high while their HP and defense will be on the low average scale.

2. Fighter + Tank = Paladin.
I probably wont or shouldnt need to say much. High Attack, Health and Defense.
Substitute damage for party in emergencies. Generally the other stats are fairly low.

3. Fighter + Healer = Combat Medic
Basocally a warrior with healing skills but
with a high magic defense and attack but average stats all around except for magic attack and defense maybe?

4. Mage + DPS = Tempest Caster
An idea that appeared accidentally while working on a second projects. Magic spells of this class are called Storms and usually hit random number of enemies and repeat up to 3 or 4 times?. probably might have average magic attack stats compared to other magic users as a trade off for their abilities.

5. Mage + Tank = Wall Conjurer?
Magical variant of the tank. Defensive
all around and spells that reflect damage or deals non elemental damge. Suffers from low speed and attack and maybe slightly low average magic attack.

6. Mage + Healer = Sage
All in the label

7. Thief + Assassin
All in the label

8. Thief + Tank = Diplomat
More of an illisonist and very defensive and speedy sort. Tries to avoid physical
combat as much as possible. Acts as a diversion and might be oriented to long range combat May have ranged attacks that lower stats. Luck, defense and Speed may be the best stats here and the attack and magic attack/defense will be the weaker areas here.

9: Thief + Healer = Stealth Priest
A healer who has draining light magic and some healing spells while also trying to hide and conceal self and party members. Luck, Magic Defense, and Agility with HP attack amd defense being the weak points.

In my game white magic uses the magic defense as the factor in damage formulas while black magic is the opposite. I would like feedback on the classes. I am new to rpg maker somewhat and an utterly horrid newcomer to scripting

mattvalentine

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"Blade Dancer" might sound better for the first one (unless...you don't use swords with it lol);
"Battle Mage" is usually used for your nº 5 (a "tanky" mage);
Maybe... "Vigilante" or something like that for Nº 7.
I really like your ideas; "Diplomat" sounds particularly interesting. ^^

[Edited]

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heh, combat medic sounds like somebody got transported back in time... :biggrin: If ya into priests and stuff, why not "warrior priest" instead? I second the opinion about diplomats!

Mhin Ra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I like your ideas! Here's some random other ones, mostly with an eye towards trying to spread out how the classes play more.

Fighter + Healer : I've seen healing classes that do their healing by dealing damage. So, attack to cure or perhaps attack to build up counters which can be used for curing. Another option might be to attack to build up some sort of defensive token. So instead of traditional 'healing', this class could be more about preventing damage.

Mage + Tank : You could also do something like an enrage mechanic here. So, imagine the mage can make monsters target it preferentially, then by taking damage, the mage builds up mana, which they then use to do mad damage? Or perhaps they could use it to defend themselves and the party?

Mage + DPS : You could try and tie their spells to the local environment, to give greater variety throughout the game. So, like, if you're in an ice cave, their spells are ice spells. I don't know how combat works in your game, but if you had floors with some fire and some ice, you could imagine potentially interesting mechanics where you want to lure ice monsters onto a fire square, so that when you fight them you can use fire spells against them. If you're doing random encounters, that might not work so well, but you could still get some fun stuff going perhaps.

Thief + Healer : Might be expensive, but making doubles of characters could be a fun mechanic. So, the doubles can take hits for you. Maybe this class could even combo with something like the Mage + Tank, such that the thief \ healer powers up when the doubles get destroyed. So, you want to essentially lure the monsters into attacking the doubles, so that the thief can do big attacks.

Thief + Tank : Could be a trap layer. So, he tries to lure the monsters into attacking him or other party members, but he puts some sort of traps on those people. When the monster hits them, the monster gets smacked with a debuff or a DoT or something.

Hope that helps!! :)

xDRAGOONx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Currently working on a project and I decided having nine characters based on the two holy trinities (Tank, Healer, and DPS) and (Fighter, Mage, Thief)

1. Fighter + DPS = Weapon Dancer. Probably typic this class is fast, and able to attack three times. Attack and Agility stats will be on the high while their HP and defense will be on the low average scale.

2. Fighter + Tank = Paladin.
I probably wont or shouldnt need to say much. High Attack, Health and Defense.
Substitute damage for party in emergencies. Generally the other stats are fairly low.

3. Fighter + Healer = Combat Medic
Basocally a warrior with healing skills but
with a high magic defense and attack but average stats all around except for magic attack and defense maybe?

4. Mage + DPS = Tempest Caster
An idea that appeared accidentally while working on a second projects. Magic spells of this class are called Storms and usually hit random number of enemies and repeat up to 3 or 4 times?. probably might have average magic attack stats compared to other magic users as a trade off for their abilities.

5. Mage + Tank = Wall Conjurer?
Magical variant of the tank. Defensive
all around and spells that reflect damage or deals non elemental damge. Suffers from low speed and attack and maybe slightly low average magic attack.

6. Mage + Healer = Sage
All in the label

7. Thief + Assassin
All in the label

8. Thief + Tank = Diplomat
More of an illisonist and very defensive and speedy sort. Tries to avoid physical
combat as much as possible. Acts as a diversion and might be oriented to long range combat May have ranged attacks that lower stats. Luck, defense and Speed may be the best stats here and the attack and magic attack/defense will be the weaker areas here.

9: Thief + Healer = Stealth Priest
A healer who has draining light magic and some healing spells while also trying to hide and conceal self and party members. Luck, Magic Defense, and Agility with HP attack amd defense being the weak points.

In my game white magic uses the magic defense as the factor in damage formulas while black magic is the opposite. I would like feedback on the classes. I am new to rpg maker somewhat and an utterly horrid newcomer to scripting

The issue that I am running into with this is that it seems like you are trying to combine a class based system(fighter, mage, thief) with a role based system(tank, heals, DPS).
The thing is that the role based system was a way for newer games to break away from the more rigid class based system. The class based system gets most of it's influence from DnD, and while there was room for some flexibility in terms of which classes can perform which roles, there are clearly some classes best suited for certain roles, because of things like racial and class bonuses to starting stats and skills.

In a role based system, the class is much less important. This system is usually used for games with many characters and allows for the creation of nearly any "Class", by name. So take a mobile game that has over 100 characters, by using the role system it allows for the game devs complete flexibility in character creation.

Consider this,
Each class was originally designed with a specific role, or set of roles in mind. Next, think of how your classes and roles currently align:

Fighter = ?
Mage = ?
Thief = ?

At this point I would argue that all three classes are originally centered around DPS meaning there's not a lot of starting coverage for the roles, which you can see reflected in the stat distribution; Fighters all have high attack, which lends to a DPS role. Your mages all lean towards DPS as well, even so much as having to nerf DPS output for the DPS mage because the damage output could potentially be too high. Also note how thief + DPS needs no explanation.

So you're basically combining roles and not the classes,
fighter + dps = dps,
fighter + tank = dps tank,
fighter + heals = dps heals

I have two suggestions,
First, If you plan to use Magic Def as the main stat of dealing white magic, I would consider adding a cleric class to your starting classes.

Second, I would pick a default role for each class to eliminate the redundant combinations, like fighter + dps = dps

My setup would look something like this:
Fighter = tank
Cleric = heals
Mage = Magic dps
Thief = Physical dps

Then, I would start combining from here.
fighter + tank= Warrior
fighter + heals = Monk
fighter + Magic dps = Spellsword
fighter + phy dps = Barbarian

cleric + heals = Priest
Cleric + tank = Paladin
cleric + magic dps = Sage
cleric + physical dps = Fanatic

mage + magic dps = Elementalist <-- AoE elemental spells
mage + tank = Void Mage <-- Creates barriers that absorb certain types of damage
mage + heals = Blood Mage <--Draws health from enemies distributing to allies
mage + phys dps = Battlemage <-- Uses magic to enhance phys. abilities

thief + phys dps = Assassin
thief + tank = Phantom Blade <-- Can taunt and go ethereal dodging all attacks, high evasion
thief + mag dps = Trickster
thief = heals = Ranger

AntagonizedSun

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The issue that I am running into with this is that it seems like you are trying to combine a class based system(fighter, mage, thief) with a role based system(tank, heals, DPS).
The thing is that the role based system was a way for newer games to break away from the more rigid class based system. The class based system gets most of it's influence from DnD, and while there was room for some flexibility in terms of which classes can perform which roles, there are clearly some classes best suited for certain roles, because of things like racial and class bonuses to starting stats and skills.

In a role based system, the class is much less important. This system is usually used for games with many characters and allows for the creation of nearly any "Class", by name. So take a mobile game that has over 100 characters, by using the role system it allows for the game devs complete flexibility in character creation.

Consider this,
Each class was originally designed with a specific role, or set of roles in mind. Next, think of how your classes and roles currently align:

Fighter = ?
Mage = ?
Thief = ?

At this point I would argue that all three classes are originally centered around DPS meaning there's not a lot of starting coverage for the roles, which you can see reflected in the stat distribution; Fighters all have high attack, which lends to a DPS role. Your mages all lean towards DPS as well, even so much as having to nerf DPS output for the DPS mage because the damage output could potentially be too high. Also note how thief + DPS needs no explanation.

So you're basically combining roles and not the classes,
fighter + dps = dps,
fighter + tank = dps tank,
fighter + heals = dps heals

I have two suggestions,
First, If you plan to use Magic Def as the main stat of dealing white magic, I would consider adding a cleric class to your starting classes.

Second, I would pick a default role for each class to eliminate the redundant combinations, like fighter + dps = dps

My setup would look something like this:
Fighter = tank
Cleric = heals
Mage = Magic dps
Thief = Physical dps

Then, I would start combining from here.
fighter + tank= Warrior
fighter + heals = Monk
fighter + Magic dps = Spellsword
fighter + phy dps = Barbarian

cleric + heals = Priest
Cleric + tank = Paladin
cleric + magic dps = Sage
cleric + physical dps = Fanatic

mage + magic dps = Elementalist <-- AoE elemental spells
mage + tank = Void Mage <-- Creates barriers that absorb certain types of damage
mage + heals = Blood Mage <--Draws health from enemies distributing to allies
mage + phys dps = Battlemage <-- Uses magic to enhance phys. abilities

thief + phys dps = Assassin
thief + tank = Phantom Blade <-- Can taunt and go ethereal dodging all attacks, high evasion
thief + mag dps = Trickster
thief = heals = Ranger

Oooookkk. Thanks.. Thats what I was worried about when I was initially coming up with the nine classes.

But how would one distribute drained hp from drain attacks to allies? Would I hate to create a state or find a script that would allow such?

xDRAGOONx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oooookkk. Thanks.. Thats what I was worried about when I was initially coming up with the nine classes.

But how would one distribute drained hp from drain attacks to allies? Would I hate to create a state or find a script that would allow such?
I can take a look into having a skill set like this but first ill have to ask if you're using any plugins?

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I finally added my newly updated demo back to the website! It only took like 4 weeks of work...
Where is the "world-weary sigh" comment response when you need it? I need that one more than anything, but the closest we have is "wow" or "angry".
My apologies if it's out-of-place for my goyim-lookin' ass to be the one to say it, but the mythology of "Golems" is that they were created by Rabbis to protect Jewish villages from Anti-semetic attacks.
I'm moving on from RMXP finally. I've been stuck in a difficult decision between XP and MZ, and I've given up and moved on to MZ. Overall I'm really liking it, I wish tilesets were easier to setup like XP, but it's actually not that bad!
Have you ever gone full 'Ship of Theseus' while frankenspriting? Because I just did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cabanacatalogs