Kostopher

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello all!

I am making a visual novel in RPGMV (I know, I know there are so many better programs for this but I am not changing now)

My events were working just fine, but I must have erased something because all of the sudden its not running anymore. The same intro event is playing over and over and I am pulling my hair out trying to find out why.
Intro event
1579071715397.png
Intro event page 2
1579071743333.png

1579071837459.png

For the life of me I cannot figure out why its not working. The switch is flipped, the player is transferred there, and its on autorun. I would just have it all on one event page but the game is too long to do that.

Anyway, thanks for all your help!

glaphen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Autoruns don't stop playing just because you changed map, you turned off the switch first then transfer so it plays the first page that has no condition again, try moving switch to turn off to after transfer, if not make 3rd page blank with self switch turned on.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
on which maps are the events?
are there any other events on these maps?

That said, it is usually a bad idea to split a cutscene into different event pages.
For example I see absolutely no reason why the intro event needs to be split into two pages, all those commands should have been on the same single page

EDIT:
Autoruns don't stop playing just because you changed map,
wrong, if you change map the map events of the previous map no longer exist and of course if it no longer exist the autorun is stopped. It will only continue as long as you are on the same map (which is why I asked where those events are)

EDIT2:
best guess is that in the second event, one of the higher priority pages is active.
higher page number = higher priority
I suggest giving each page a different sprite to see which page is currently active (you can remove the sprites before sending it to players)

Last edited:

glaphen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

That said, it is usually a bad idea to split a cutscene into different event pages.
For example I see absolutely no reason why the intro event needs to be split into two pages, all those commands should have been on the same single page

EDIT:

wrong, if you change map the map events of the previous map no longer exist and of course if it no longer exist the autorun is stopped. It will only continue as long as you are on the same map (which is why I asked where those events are)
They definitely do keep running after map change, when I first started using this I made a transfer to a blank map and then back again all in the same event just to refresh map name and positions.

Transfer.png
Here's an image of what works.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They definitely do keep running after map change, when I first started using this I made a transfer to a blank map and then back again all in the same event just to refresh map name and positions.
no, in that case they restarted.
it is technically impossible for the map events to keep running on map changes because the event pages are deleted and reloaded on return.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
when I first started using this I made a transfer to a blank map and then back again all in the same event just to refresh map name and positions
You have cut away the most important parts of that event. Is it a map event or a common event? What are the conditions, pages, etc?

glaphen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
SamePage.png

I mean I didn't know what I was doing at all back then but it works. Oh and it is an autorun but I turned it off to test mv3d stuff.

Last edited:

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@glaphen you have hijacked this thread and taken it completely off topic. Do not post in this thread again unless you are directly answering the query of the OP.

Will everyone answering here please revert to discussing the OP's issue.
Thanks.

Kostopher

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for all the help!

So I tried
Autoruns don't stop playing just because you changed map, you turned off the switch first then transfer so it plays the first page that has no condition again, try moving switch to turn off to after transfer, if not make 3rd page blank with self switch turned on.
This helped so the start event doesn't start over and over, but now it just plays the name page over and over. When I tried to do a self switch to a blank page it just does nothing and can't continue on.

They are all on the same map, just a few spaces apart. They are the only two events on this map.

I know its a bad idea but to be honest I can't put the whole visual novel on one event as I don't have enough room :C.
Even if I make the intro character select all one event, I have to split the event eventually as the rest of the visual novel won't fit on one event. Que my problem .__.

glaphen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for all the help!

So I tried

This helped so the start event doesn't start over and over, but now it just plays the name page over and over. When I tried to do a self switch to a blank page it just does nothing and can't continue on.

They are all on the same map, just a few spaces apart. They are the only two events on this map.

I know its a bad idea but to be honest I can't put the whole visual novel on one event as I don't have enough room :C.
Even if I make the intro character select all one event, I have to split the event eventually as the rest of the visual novel won't fit on one event. Que my problem .__.
Keep that first image same as it was in first place, 2nd page turn on self switch A or whatever after Transfer Player: MAP013 (7,6) and remove the turn off switch boy/girl and keep it with the turn off in the new event. 3rd page have it do nothing but turn on when self switch A is on. Also you can probably combine that second event first page with the first one since it seems to just do another choice? You can just use label and jump to label to get to the same choice again if they are in the same event page. As it is it won't even go back to original page when hitting no as you need to turn off self switch too with a script call of
Code:
var key = [13, 5, A]
$gameSelfSwitches.setValue(key, false);
An example of how it would work better is to just copy that 2nd event 1st page and paste it on to the bottom of 2nd page of 1st event. Add a label at the top of 1st event 2nd page named Choice. Remove all the related switches so you would only have boy or girl turn on from the first choice. Then at 2nd choice if No is chosen then it will turn off boy or girl depending on choice then have a jump to label Choice. I mean you could even combine both of those pages into the very first event page of first event easily, nothing wrong with long pages mine is like 10x longer than yours. Don't even know the rest of your event pages.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is a problem, because you never switch off the parallel process of the second page of the first event.
That second page should be autorun as well, but needs to be switched off to a third page that is action button without any content.
However, that is not the cause of your other problem.
You ignored the edit 2 I gave above, please answer that:
EDIT2:
best guess is that in the second event, one of the higher priority pages is active.
higher page number = higher priority
I suggest giving each page a different sprite to see which page is currently active (you can remove the sprites before sending it to players)
The only thing that can stop the first page of the second event from activating is another page of the same event with a higher priority - and all other pages (none of which you screenshotted) have a higher priority because of the way the engine works.

so please use the method I gave to find out which page of that event is active, probably the last if you added that without entering any condition there...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

This forum is a great source of procrastination for me.
Today I read "The mouth speaks what the heart is full of." Simple, and reminds me I have a ton of work to do.
Why are cats so darn cute when their tongues are sticking out? If I did that, it wouldn't have the same effect.
The joy when you see a notification, the down when it's just a unnecessary quote of one of your posts again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mybriguy