Desperado

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello,

I'm interested in soliciting some help/ideas from you guys about how to make a grapple line eventing thing I have work. I have included diagrams below. Basically, I can get the line to do what I want from any single given tile event without an issue. However, because the player is able to grapple onto objects from above, below, left, right I have to change the image/animation of the event tiles when the player is on the left or right side of an object in order to show the grapple line extending/actuating and the player's traversal animation/line retracting. I've been doing this using just switches and eventing and I honestly can probably get it to work using a ton of switches and tabs but I know there is a way to make a conditional branch using variables to make it so that the tile events below the player won't play the animation. I'm just not well-versed enough in variables to know how to do it. Can anyone give me an idea of how I might accomplish this?

The first illustration is what I have currently. Grappling from the bottom is no problem because the player can only be in a position where the grapple line will never overlap. But currently if the player approaches the building from the right when he grapples in whichever of the four event squares he can grapple from the line animation plays for all, leading to the line overlapping him and generally looking bad. What I want to happen is demonstrated in the second illustration where, based on his position, a conditional branch keeps the animation from playing so he can grapple from any of those four squares without a graphical overlap.

As always I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Attachments

• GrappleLineEventingHelp.png
    GrappleLineEventingHelp.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 4
  • GrappleLineEventingGoal.png
    GrappleLineEventingGoal.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 4

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You are making a sideview?
I'm still trying to understand what you are trying to make...

What's this "grapple line" made from? Animation? Show picture? ...Event tiles?!

I assume when you mentioned the four directions, does the player required to face the target direction?
If yes, can't you just use player's facing direction as the condition?

If you are already done that far, can you send me the sample?
Cause I really don't get what you are talking about...

Desperado

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, I get that. Its a bit confusing. I'm away from my desk for an hour or two, but when I get back Ill try and clarify.

Last edited:

Desperado

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ok, Here is my attempt to explain in illustrations:

Clarifying0.png
Clarifying1.pngClarifying2.png
Clarifying3.pngClarifying4.png
Clarifying5.png

From the bottom side it's easy as all the places to initiate the grapple are on the X axis so the grapple line never crosses over the actor. From the sides, because there are multiple places the actor can initiate the grapple from different places on the Y axis, the grapple line crosses over him if he is anywhere but the most bottom event tile.

To answer your other questions he will always be facing the direction of the building. In the example above he faces right. The grapple line animation is made from event tiles. I change the graphic of the event tile to the line in a timed sequence for it going out, and a timed sequence for it retracting as well.

Last edited:

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Desperado
Ok! I understand

So you make it like this?
1607003130385.png

And the result should look like this?
rm - grapplinghookgif.gif

- Simplified event. You can learn about the event easily.
- It's dynamic. You can just copy-paste the event without modifying the event one by one.
- Use 3 variables, 1 switch, 2 pages.
- Require custom sprite.
- Currently, it's only one way (from down to top).

If this satisfies your need, I could DM you the sample.
I just want the right to publish this feature later as mine.

The idea is just comparing the position value of the player, the current tile, and the hook.
The switch is needed to activate the second parallel page temporarily.
This parallel page read each position value, comparing them, and change its event host image in real-time.
The custom sprite is used to not burden the event and make it user friendly.
So you only need to change the direction instead of loading new image.
1607005769869.png

Last edited:

Desperado

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wow, yeah that looks like what I'm aiming for. Yes, please DM me, and certainly the credit is yours.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm moving on from RMXP finally. I've been stuck in a difficult decision between XP and MZ, and I've given up and moved on to MZ. Overall I'm really liking it, I wish tilesets were easier to setup like XP, but it's actually not that bad!
Have you ever gone full 'Ship of Theseus' while frankenspriting? Because I just did.
I saw my new eye doctor today, he reminds me of Satoru Iwata for some reason
I've been using a modified version of a script called Multiple Messages. It makes my text boxes look like a Mario & Luigi game! There is something about it that bothers me a little bit, but I shouldn't worry about that now.

Side note, Mist's walking animation is almost perfectly in sync with Loose Yourself by Eminem.
Starting work on some stuff for the community. Hopefully it will be fun, and useful to somebody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nick7626