Help with Guard usage while using Yanfly CTB and Visual State FX plugins

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by Zakarijah, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Zakarijah

Zakarijah Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm currently using Yanfly's CTB Battle plugin and was wondering if since the character's turn runs out as soon as they're done, does guard actually have any effect during battle, after that one turn? I currently use it restore HP/TP a little when used but would also like it to have it's desired 'guard' effect until said character's next turn comes up.

I'm also asking because I went through the two-minute 'trouble' (lolz) of creating a custom animation using Yanfly's Visual State FX and as it is, the animation only plays for the 7 frames and disappears but I'd like it to also continue until the character's next turn...

2. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just have it add the gaurd state. You might also need to make the action end 2 instead of 1. I know that's how i have to work it with victor sants ATB. It counts the turn you use it as an action end, so all my states that use action end remove need to have 1 more than the intended

JosephSeraph likes this.
  3. Zakarijah

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Right but that would only work in a 1v1 fight where both parties are roughly the same speed. The effect would still wear off after anyone’s next turn and not last until user’s next turn, unfortunately.

JosephSeraph likes this.
  4. Zakarijah

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I saw that If im using Yanfly Skill Core, I can use this notetag in the items:
    <After Eval>
    if(user.isStateAffected(guard)){user.removeState(guard);}
    </After Eval>

but I’m unsure where exactly to put this?

5. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    So, when setting a state's duration you can toggle between a duration in turns, calculated by battle ticks, or battler actions. (It should be right above the field where you enter the turn number)

That'll allow it to last for exactly two actions (using guard and the next one.)

Alternatively you could add a <custom turn start> effect that removes guard as soon as the actors turn is up. Mechanically similar but more elegant as the actor won't have the guard state while using their next action (and it won't show up in the status)

It also prevents guard from sticking another turn if you skip the turn (as a skipped turn doesn't count as an action)

6. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It works for multipule party members in victor sant atb

7. Zakarijah

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I did JUST figure it out, and all I had to do was stitch it from ‘turn end’ to ‘action end’ and now it lasts until the next action the user takes.

thanks for your help though, guys!