Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hallo; I have a bad feeling this'll turn out to be a dumb question with an obvious answer I somehow overlooked, but for the time being I'm kinda stumped as to how to proceed.

To put it briefly, I bought Celianna's Winter dungeons tileset for VX Ace the other day, but for some reason I'm having trouble placing decorative tiles (that is, tilesheets B through E) on top of other decorative tiles. It only accepts one type of tile in any one space, which means everything has a giant square around it when attempting to place it on top of other tiles. The thing is, I know this must be possible to actually do, since when I bought the tileset, there were some screenshots depicting, for instance, castle towers attached to castle walls (both of which are treated as decorative tiles as they're not on tilesheet A); whenever I try to do that, the towers have conspicuous cut-off gaps surrounding them. (I don't know if this happens with the default RTP)

Because I don't know if I'm explaining this well enough, I've included a screencap:

While I'm here, I may as well ask; is it possible to insert floor or wall tiles behind decorative tiles? I sometimes like putting in decorative bridges, walls and so on in first as points of reference before drawing the paths and walls around them, but often times this ends up cutting right through them, making me put them back in. Is there a way around that? Thanks for any answers to either of these questions.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
walls are usually on the A tilesheets.

Are you sure you've put everything into the correct slots? Could you show a screenshot with the tab selected where you have the walls?

There is only one upper layer in Ace. If you place something from the B-E tabs, then place something else from the B-E tabs over it, it will replace what you had there before. This is why walls are usually on the A tab (the snowy tops would likely not be, but the brick wall itself I'd expect to see on A).

Maybe the screenshots used tiles for the wall that WERE on the A sheets, and not the same as the ones you've used.

Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I should point out that I didn't rearrange anything, it was like this when I bought it. For reference, this is the screenshot I was referring to:

As you can see, there's a multitude of decorative items in front of the roof - also not on tilesheet A - along with the chimney which seems like it was only supposed to be used on top of said roof. If that's not possible with default settings, is there some sort of script for this?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What's on tile A? I'm guessing there is a wall autotile that you should be using for the majority of the walls, and only using the tile B stuff where it's absolutely needed.

Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you might be right, there is a very similar-looking wall. However, it still doesn't explain the chimney. I just tried putting a chimney on a roof like in the picture, but because they're both tilesheet D, it doesn't work.

Even if there isn't a script being used, I feel like I need a script for it now anyway, just in case. :V

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In those cases, you have to use an event for the chimney rather than drawing it on the map.

Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess that explains why it's smoking, then.

I realize I'm probably going off-topic now, but I don't suppose there is a script that gives VXA more layers for tiles? I hadn't even realized there were only two layers before now (I'm more used to MV, I guess), so if I had something like that it'd be very handy.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also, Celianna tends to use parallax mapping, so some of this may have been done that way. Parallax mapping, if you are not familiar, is done in a program such as Photoshop or Gimp and imported as an image into the engine.

Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ahhhhhhhh, that would explain it, yes! I've just been reading up on Parallax mapping, and... well, let's just say I can get carried away with normal mapping, too much to focus on actually making the game. :V Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nothing can add a layer to Ace because the editor cannot be changed - but there are a lot of ways to trick around that limit.
The mentioned event is the most commonly used one, and one that is needed for animations as well.

However, you can also do some tricks with A5 - that sheet is not with autotiles, but with regular tiles.
Or you can make individual tilesets for different maps, replacing unused tiles on one tileset with photoshopped combinations of tiles you need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Popular old italian singer be like: We will win against Coronavirus! Humanity was capable of destroying even the dinosaurs! *cry laughs*
MarioWidjaya123 wrote on kyonides's profile.

I thought they were dead, but I wanted to be certain. :kaoback:
Always kind of annoys me to see people complain about ads in their phone applications because people are too lazy to turn on airplane mode when using them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sensei89