Help with parallax overlay

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by HonestlyVitali, Aug 19, 2016.

1. HonestlyVitali

HonestlyVitali Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi all! I had a quick question about my overlay. This is my first parallax map and I'm having a little issue with the overlay. 

So I created a tileset with all blank tiles and set the passability of first three to "circle", "x", and "star". Then I drew over the image base so it would all work. However, I'm having issues with the "star" passibility. Unless I'm mistaken, the star means you can pass under it. However, this isn't working. It's working just like an "O" tile. 

Am I doing something wrong? I want it so the post appears over the character (there's a mirrored version off to the side to show you what it's supposed to look like). The "X" and "O" passibility is working fine. 

Thanks for all the help, like always.

ParaCapture.PNG

2. Rinobi

Rinobi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You can't use star passability that way, it only works with tilesets. You need to create your parallax maps in layers.
    Some use picture overlays, others create custom tilesets.

This guide may help...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2016
  3. HonestlyVitali

HonestlyVitali Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Huh, I see... I suppose that makes sense. Thanks for the link, Rinobi!

So, could I make everything that's above the character on it's own layer, and submit that as a tileset itself? Set those tiles to star passing? And put them onto the "flat" ground background? Then I only need two layers, as O and X tiles can be on the bottom. 

I have the photoshop doc with all the layers still there so I might be able to salvage this map with a little effort (and using "above player" events for unaltered tiles). Thank you for helping!

4. Rinobi

Rinobi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm not a mapper, so I only know the basics. Hopefully someone with more experience will give better answers to your questions.

I don't know the specifics of tilesets but I'm pretty sure there's limitations preventing you from simply importing an image as a new tileset. Some adjustments are will likely be required; it isn't ideal but the RPG Maker help file has the specifics if you wanted to try something like this anyway. There's a few scripts out there for parallaxes and pictures that make the mapping process easier. With one of these scripts, you can import your entire overlay map as a picture or parallax (depending on the script you use), and set your x/o passibilities accordingly.

As I mentioned before though, this isn't a subject I'm very knowledgeable on.

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You could do the 'over the player' tiles as an overlay.  Take a screenshot of your map (or use the parallax image if that is your base) and, on a new layer, put on the appropriate tiles.  Save that layer only as your picture.  Use it with 'Show picture' command.

6. Dymdez

Dymdez Newbie-in-Chief Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I recommend using this parallax mapping script, it's the best and easiest available, unless @Sixth's is posted anywhere. 

im familiar with mapping so you can ask me any question you'd like.

with this script you can make as many layers as you would like for any given map, there's almost no mapping dilemma you can't solve with this. 

7. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I made that script for you, so it is not posted anywhere in public.

You are free to share it if you want, though. 

Dymdez likes this.