Help with party member specific overworld abilities

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by TurtleMocha, Apr 26, 2018.

1. TurtleMocha

TurtleMocha Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I’ve been looking around for party member overworld abilities and I’m not really getting many results. I’m trying to do something similar to what’s in a paper Mario game where the party members all have an ability on the overworld such as the bomb being able to blow up certain walls or the ghost hiding in the shadows.

2. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmm, possibly a better way, but I would experiment with skills and common events. Tie a skill to a common event that first checks to see which map you are on and if you are on the right map, allows a thing to happen.

The Mighty Palm likes this.
  3. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You're going to have to be more specific with what you want, what you've tried so far, and what part you need help on. But yeah, if you want to be able to blow up certain walls or something, that should be pretty easy to achieve through basic eventing.

4. thephoenix112

thephoenix112 Veteran Veteran

I remember a really similar post to this a few months back, so from memory I think the answer was fairly easy.

If you want a super simple way though, have specific events see if someone is in your party and then activate or deactivate as needed. So using the bomb as an example, use an event to check the wall, and if the needed character is in your party, then have the wall blow up. If you're wanting something a little more open usage, you'd need to probably set a way to rotate your party to decide who is the "lead" character, then set a button to trigger their special ability. This one would be far more involved and would heavily depend on what you want each character to do, the proximity of the events, etc.

5. TurtleMocha

TurtleMocha Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    First of all thank you so much for the responses, I have one specific ability planned for one of my main characters. This character ideally would have the ability to float for a few tiles or seconds and pass over normally impassable tiles. It seems like I would be able to set certain regions to work with a specific character. I’m just kind of spitballing here sorry. Any idea how I would code for a specific actor?

6. thephoenix112

thephoenix112 Veteran Veteran

That may actually be easily done with eventing, no need to write a full script.

TurtleMocha likes this.