Help with plot developing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stoovan, Sep 12, 2018.

1. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    basically, Pirates of the Caribbean.

2. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not this time, nor am I even sold on the comparison (I am not much for the cinema because reasons and it has been awhile since I last watched) but you would probably have to read my synopsys to get the idea. However, as this is relative to matters involving an active project I must unfortunately hold back on any further comment thereof.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

Please everyone, keep this a General Discussion. This particular forum is not for giving feedback on specific, individual projects - that belongs in Ideas and Prototypes.

Sure, you can use a particular project as an example, but here on this section we try and look at aspects of game making from a broader perspective.

4. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Which a lot of us are doing in the name of providing examples of individual concepts for ideas and comparisons to potentially build off each other.

Then again, if this is starting to go beyond the intended purpose as a result there's no shame in moving on to the next subject and calling a day on this.

5. TheGreatApollo

TheGreatApollo Side Character Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Start with a character that believes in some greater meaning, and give him a villain that also believes in that same greater meaning, but wants to approach it completely differently. For example, a demon exists below the earth and the MC sets out to destroy it, only to encounter someone along the way that wants to capture it instead. Both want to achieve peace in the end, one by slaying and the other by capturing, but the differences in how they approach will write the story for you.

6. dailyminerals

dailyminerals Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I would recommend against using a plot generator, as in my experience they are traditionalist to a fault. They seem more like cliché generators.

Speaking of clichés, if you truly don't have any idea how to begin writing a novel plot, take a cliché and reverse it, or more to the point, seize on something unexpected.

Maybe a gifted warrior who turned to pacifism after becoming disillusioned with war needs to hunt down a homicidal child whose psycopathy makes them a threat to any who cross their path, and the warrior needs to reconcile his aversion to violence with his preceived need to stop the child by any means necessary.

Or turn it around. Maybe you play as a child with a macabre gift for murder, and the only victim to ever get away was a near invincible war veteran whose sworn never to turn to violence again, and his repeated run ins with the child always results in a strange stalemate where the child seemingly cannot kill the war veteran, but the war veteran is unwilling to respond with violence to ever put the child in jeopardy. And so now the child hunts the war veteran across the world as he completes some kind of spiritual pilgrimage, with the child trying to find new and increasingly extreme methods to finally claim the life of the only one to ever get away.

Point is, just start somewhere. Anywhere. Then turn it around and make it work in reverse. Or turn it sideways. Or inside out. You'll end up finding new and interesting ideas to work from.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018