Help with Quest Journal (also, link to download)

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by Hekudan, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Hekudan

Hekudan Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Hi Hi, ok so this is the link if you are interested on having a quest journal: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,45127.0.html

but my question here is, how do I use it?

I'm bad at searching on forums, I tried using the "Ctrl F" on many pages but no tips about this specific script, in case anyone owns this too, can I get an explanation on how it works?

It looks pretty hard to understand

.. also it says it only shows the quests you created, it does not create quests, so .. I'm tangled :dizzy:

there's a certain video on youtube that explains this very script, but the guy does not know how to explain it so, if you share a link on youtube, I just hope it's not that one.

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've moved this thread to RGSSx Script Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Did you READ the instructions to see how to configure and use it, as the author indicated? Did you try to follow them? If so, show us what you've done (screenshot or copy that section of the script where you set them up, and paste it here so we can take a look)

YOU must create the quests by adding lines to the script that provide the quest details.

3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The instructions on how to use it are in the comments at the beginning of the script. How far had you read them before coming to a point you didn't understand? If you place your specific questions here what part of those instructions you don't understand, we can answer them - but the script is too complex to tell you everything, you need to start with those instructions.

That said, this quest journal script (as with almost all other quest journals) requires you to know some basics about scripting, because you add the quests by rewriting a specific part the script - that's another reason why it's extremely difficult to teach this in a video: you need to read what is written into the script and what changes were made into it, and that's difficult if the video is of low quality or goes too fast over the text entries.

So scratch all ideas of learning this script by watching a video - that is almost impossible (as with a lot of script based tutorials), and start reading into the written descritption and tutorials.

Edit: ninja'd

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  4. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It is indeed can be a bit complicated.

First you need to setup the script. You do this at the "Editable Region A" (<-- search for this in the script) section of the script.

Read everything carefully, everything there is explained pretty well and is understandable. Setup everything how you want.

Now, the actual quests you do can be inserted in the script itself at the "Editable Region B" section of the script.

You need to read everything carefully here too to understand what each symbol means. 

When you did that, look at the sample quest and try to test that quest in your project. Just make a separate test map for it where you test bigger scripts out. 

You need to use script calls in the game to reveal, hide, progress, complete and fail quests.

The event script calls are explained at the beginning of the instructions in the script, starting at around line 50.

reveal_objective(quest_id, objective_id_1, ..., objective_id_n)
    Example:  reveal_objective(2, 0)

This would reveal (show) the quest with ID 2 in the quest log and would reveal the first objective from the objective list of that quest.

ID is the number of the quest in the script and it is defined at the quest setup in the script itself.

Every quest should start with a 'when ID' line in the script. The ID here is that same number you use in the script calls above.

You can reveal more objectives at once if you wish. Remember that the objectives's numbers start from 0 and not from 1!

The same things apply to all of the event script calls you can use. 

I am not sure how my explanation helped you, because modern algebra explained it the same way in the script itself too.

No idea how could this be explained in any other way.

I know that reading more than 1000 lines of description isn't motivating at all, but believe me, it is worth it.

It is a great Quest System, which may take some time to understand and get used to, but once you do, quests will fly left and right non-stop. :D

5. Hekudan

Hekudan Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    at the time i'm reading the last instruction i've already forgotten the first one, there are too many, an example of a quest would suffice, and I know about scripts, I understand them but don't create

6. Hekudan

Hekudan Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    By the way.... RGSSx?

..the hell is that?

7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    When I downloaded this script, it came with a worked example done by Modern Algebra.  Look at the script starting at about line 779

8. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If the sample quest is not enough, here is one of my quest:
    when 2 # Quest 2 - SAMPLE QUEST q[:name] = "To BOOM or not to BOOM?" q[:level] = 2 q[:icon_index] = 7 q[:description] = "A guy from the Prairie asked me to bring this bomb to safety. Or did he want the people to be safe from it? In the end, it doesn't matter, it's the same anyway, right?" q[:objectives][0] = "The time is ticking! Get the bomb quickly!" q[:objectives][1] = "Hurry to the cave on the southeast! Reach it before the bomb explodes!" q[:objectives][2] = "Find a safe place for the bomb to explode. Make sure you do this before the explosion..." q[:objectives][3] = "Escape from the cave before the explosion! You know, just to make sure that we stay alive..." q[:objectives][4] = "Nice job! Time to get back to fetch the rewards!" q[:prime_objectives] = [0, 1, 2, 3, 4] q[:custom_categories] = [] q[:banner] = "" q[:banner_hue] = 0 q[:client] = "Greg" q[:location] = "Detragit Prairie" q[:common_event_id] = 0 q[:rewards] = [ [:item, 1, 3], [:gold, 500], ] q[:layout] = false
    But just pasting this into the script at the right place won't magically make the quest itself in the game, you need to trigger everything with eventing with the use of the provided script calls.

You need to manually start it, manually update the objectives and manually complete/fail the quests with those script calls.

There aren't that many things you need to memorize.

You read Region A and set it up how you want. After you made your setup there, you can even forget those lines forever.

The quest setup is at Region B, and there are only 14 symbols there to learn.

Without understanding what each of these symbols do there, there is no way to create a fully functional quest log.

Then there are the script calls to memorize, but those are really self explanatory, and examples are provided for most of them in the instructions of the script also.

And if you need a demo to see the script in action, there is one in the very same topic you linked. It is at the end of the first post there.

9. Hekudan

Hekudan Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Not sure if solved or won't-be-solved

I give up, I can't understand the quest log script