Help with the "Help" Window :-)

Yummytiger22

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there was an easy way to change the number of rows displayed in the "help" window inside menus. I'm assuming the window at the top of the item, skill, equip menus which displays the item/skill name and then a brief description is the "help" window. Currently, this window displays two rows, the first row contains the item/skill name, and the second contains a 1 line description. I'm hoping to change it to 3 rows, so I can use 2 line descriptions.

I'm currently using Yanfly's Menu Engine with BlackMorning's addons for the main menu (animated column menu) and Equip (advanced equip). In Yanfly's script, I found an area to change the location of the "help" window, but that was it. Nothing related to size.

I will continue looking through the default scripts, but any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've moved this thread to RGSSx Script Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Isn't there a method that specifies the number of rows? That's why some have one and some have two.

If you need help with custom scripts, post links to them. What others do with their scripts may have nothing to do with what the RTP does.

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Head over to the Window_Help class.

You will see this:

def initialize(line_number = 2) super(0, 0, Graphics.width, fitting_height(line_number)) endSee the line_number there? That is the thing which decides the height of the default help windows.You can change the height by directly changing the 4th value in the super call.

def initialize(line_number = 2) super(0, 0, Graphics.width, fitting_height(3)) endJust like above.Blackmorning's Base script got a built in setting for this. If you are using that script, you can change the height of the help windows in the script's settings.

Yummytiger22

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the replies, and sorry Shaz, I did not see this sub-forum. I looked through the scripts section, but only saw the ones for completed scripts. Thanks for moving the thread.

@Sixth: Perfect! Changing "line_number" to "3" worked. I did find this prior to posting, but I changed the initialize(line_number = 2) to (line_number = 3), which I would assume would in turn change the following line, but that did not work. Not sure why, maybe another script changes it back. Also, Blackmorning's Base script did not work, it only changed the number of lines in the Main menu "help" area. So, perhaps that script setting is specific for his/her scripts, not sure.

Anyways, take all of that with a grain of salt, as my programming knowledge is terrible, so I may be doing something wrong. In the end, simply changing the "line_number" to "3" fixed it.

You can lock this thread. Thanks!

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
def initialize(line_number = 2) super(0, 0, Graphics.width, fitting_height(3)) end
Code:
def initialize(line_number = 3)super(0, 0, Graphics.width, fitting_height(line_number))end
might work too. since using previous might break compatibility with other script that use help window. (it will permanent 3 lines no matter what we input when we create the help window.... even the other script choose to use 10 lines for example)

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If other scripts use the default help window for displaying something entirely new and huge thing in it, than the compatibility issue comes from those custom scripts, not from doing this.

If someone wants to display something which requires 10 lines, or even just 5, with the default help window, than there is something wrong with the code right there.

Anyway, Blackmorining's Base script does change the height of the help windows for all of the scenes by default. I assume you use custom menus for your equip/skill, etc and some of them rewrites the creation of the help windows. But Blackmorning's Advanced Equip won't do that, I used that and the help window's height was the same as on my other scenes.

Or if you are talking about custom scripts, than those most probably created the help window with a fixed number of lines, which is just weird, especially if they used 2 as the argument for the initialization of the help window.

You can search for these fixed help windows by searching for every 'Window_Help.new(' line. Note the ( sign at the end, that is not a typo! If at the end in the brackets there is a fixed number, than the height of that help window won't be changed by changing 'line_height = 2' to 'line_height = 3'. You must enter the new line of numbers in the brackets to change the height of that help window (like 'Window_Help.new(3)').

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

i watched the sonic movie it was pretty good i hope they make a sequel
tomorrow I'ma go on a cruise for the first time ever... lets hope I'll survive the experience!
Omg! 8 years in this forum :o
Ksi
Streaming the last of the RMN Valentiny event games so feel free to drop on by and watch me cry (whether that's from laughter, rage or sheer pain, who knows?)
Today I went to sleep without setting an alarm, so I could sleep more than 2 hours. I woke up after 2 hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZidaneX