Help with Transforming and HP values

Archlvt

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, I've spent the better part of the afternoon pulling out my hair trying to figure out a way to do, what I perceive to be a fairly simple mechanic, which is all the more infuriating because there's probably a very very easy solution to it. Simple concept, and I feel like I might have actually SEEN the solution to it months ago when I wasn't looking for it, but can no longer find it.

So, I have a boss that has 4 colour palettes. 3 are elemental, and one is a "broken" or "vulnerable" version. The 3 elemental versions are immune to everything except for their respective weakness, while the vulnerable version has no immunities.

What I would like to happen is for the boss, whichever version it is, to transform into the vulnerable version when its weakness is struck. The boss should flow as follows:
- Begin as Ice element
-Struck by weakness(fire), changes to vulnerable for 3ish turns
-Transforms into a random element
-Struck by whatever weakness, changes to vulnerable for 3ish turns
-Rinse and repeat

The way that I have it set up is that when the boss is 99% or lower on HP, it will go vulnerable; that way the only way it will transform is when you successfully deal damage, which can only happen by striking its weakness. The problem is that when a boss transforms, he keeps the HP of the previous version. I could have SWORN I saw a way to segregate the different versions' hp values. So what ends up happening is the boss goes vulnerable, changes to a random element, then immediately goes vulnerable again because it retains the damage that was done to it.

I tried to change this by using states, using a hidden MP value (inflict 3MP damage on my spells, go vulnerable, restore 1MP per turn, transform into random element at 3MP. Problem with this is when I tell a spell to do the 3MP damage ontop of the HP, it goes through no matter if the target is immune to the HP damage or not, so using a non-weakness spell still causes the vulnerability)

If I could give the boss versions their own independent HP pools, everything would work fine. If I could make it so that a state could only be applied when striking a weakness, everything would work fine. If I could make it so that MP deductions only occur when the boss is non-immune, everything would work fine.

The solution is probably so simple, and I'm just missing it. Also, anything to do with BuffStatesCore won't solve it because that particular plugin doesn't work for me, and I'm not sure where the incompatibility is. That's a story for another day though and I just want to focus on the matter at hand.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why don't you just issue a Recover HP command after transforming him?

Archlvt

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried that. If he recovers HP, then so does the main vulnerable boss, and thus the battle never ends. If one of their HP drops, they all drop. If one of them heals, they all heal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Profile Posts

so, ive been gone for too long when i log in and see that everything is where is shouldn't be. XD
Steam killing my eyes.. I forgot why I use it only when I have no other choice
Making a map, my brain went "Look, Mjölnir!" as I plotted out a sacrificial entrance.

Actually, it went, "Look, hammer. Wait, Thor's hammer!"
CG tile rendering, take 3: windows.
which section you guys think looks more accurate to the perspective? left or right?

for reference, this is what it looks like "at street level"
Okay, Animal Crossing is remarkably addictive and exceptionally calming. I've been playing it pretty exclusively... like... 6 hours a day. Been a while since I've been this engrossed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marlin